AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > 64 Bit computing

64 Bit computing "The" Topic for emerging 64 bit hardware and software.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 1.60 average.
Old 15th May, 2015, 02:23 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

imdb is very tight lipped about "Insergent," as in no movie poster at all. Haven't seen it, but if "Divergent" is better maybe I'll skip looking for it, because "Divergent" wasn't a great film, imho.
Speaking of imdb, it won't play trailers for me any more. Good old Amazon, less for more is their motto.
Old 15th May, 2015, 04:18 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Such brilliance, "Insergent" indeed. The embarassment, it burns. "InsUrgent," the shame. Yes, there's a poster on imdb.
Old 15th May, 2015, 09:45 PM
AOA Staff

IMDb only has the info which people have added, it's all user generated content.

Not quite Wikipedia, because it is a commercial site.
Old 16th May, 2015, 01:40 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Ttbmk, imdb is owned by Amazon. So tight that they squeek when walking. At least some of their Instant vid rentals are reasonable, some of the older flicks.
Old 17th May, 2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters View Post
Such brilliance, "Insergent" indeed. The embarassment, it burns. "InsUrgent," the shame. Yes, there's a poster on imdb.
Would love to be able to say I've never misspelled a film's title when hunting it up, but alas, wouldn't be true !
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th May, 2015, 02:43 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Saw "The Last Picture Show" (1971) for the first time in many years last night. It's an impressive movie but it sure grinds your nose into the West Texas grit, which is the whole idea I suppose. Cybill Shepard in her undies is mighty tasty and I was surprised to learn that Ellen Burstyn used to be a hottie. I should have remembered that. Cloris Leachman is truly a great actress, recently as a riotously funny granny character and very effectively as an attractive middle aged woman in this film. In the very odd chance that one hasn't seen it, highly recommended. I remember that TrevorS recommended it, great choice good sir!
Old 19th May, 2015, 02:06 PM

Glad you enjoyed it George! For a very different plot line and a more recent production (if you haven't already seen it), I suggest "Red Rock West"(1993). Kind of a modern noir! You may not like it as much, but at least for myself, it's worth watching!
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 20th May, 2015 at 06:25 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th May, 2015, 02:58 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Saw "Fantastic Mr Fox" (2009) Sunday night. I really enjoyed it, but I have a weakness for well done animation, even if stop-motion isn't my fave. 7.8 from imdb, as always, ymmv. Top rated cast: Clooney, Streep, Bill Murray, Willem Dafoe, Michael Gambon. I'm seeking out Wes Anderson's films, as I've yakked before, "The Grand Budapest Hotel" really impressed me.

I added "Red Rock West" to my queue, let's hope it plays in the utility machine. Netbad's DVD's are very rarely fit for a good DVD player.
Old 20th May, 2015, 07:51 AM

Added "The Grand Budapest Hotel" to my list and think I'm also going to take a look at "Moonrise Kingdom"(2012).

PS. Wednesday night is David Letterman's last show! If I had TV, I'd watch it!
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 21st May, 2015 at 03:29 AM.
Old 21st May, 2015, 01:51 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I sure hope you really like "The Grand Budapest Hotel," I gave it two thumbs up.
"Moonrise Kingdom" greatly entertained me, I hope you enjoy it.

Letterman is one of the all time greats, pretty certain that my unbelievably expensive wideband Web connection, phone service that I don't use (too many eggs in one basket) and miserably limited choice of cable tv fare doesn't supply CBS Network programming. I haven't attempted to watch tv for months, why break a winning streak?
The guy supposedly has $400 mill, he'll be ok without me. Best of luck to him!
Old 24th May, 2015, 02:08 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

"What Dreams May Come" (1998) graced my machine last night. It may not be universally liked yet it deserves even better than the 7.0 imdb awarded it, imho. Robin Williams is fantastic in it and Annabella Sciorra is very adept, not to mention knock you over beautiful. Cuba Gooding Jr is NOT in annoying mode and does a great job filling his character while Rosalind Chao provides a sorely needed bit of lightening up of the story for a moment or two very well. Max von Sydow is superb.

Special effects and CGI are done superbly, the 2d and 3d effects are rock solid. Also provided is a unique feeling of "you are in the painting" and quite tasteful painting it is! Kudos! The photography is amazing.

This is a very emotional film (no guns or explosions--Whaa! But there are car crashes) having snot paper nearby was a must, at least for sentimental me. Recommended.
Old 27th May, 2015, 02:51 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Caught the last episode of "David Letterman" by courtesy of www.susiemadrak.com . Most very excellent show! Thirty three years and more than 6000 shows, our lives are improved by his efforts. I didn't see very many of his performances over the years, and I didn't quite "get" him tbh, but this last show put him in clear focus for me. Now I'll miss him properly. He spotted most worthy musical talent over the last three decades. So very much pure kerap to wade through and so few gems. St. Paul and the Broken Bones, what a fine band!
It's a must-see!

Will Stephen Colbert fill his shoes? Obviously an impossible task, let's hope Mr Colbert steps up and finesses his way into the space left by David Letterman!

I hadn't seen and I wasn't ready for "Lolita" (1962). Instead of the cozy bit of exploitation I anticipated I relearned that women are indeed the deadlier of the species. Especially when they are beautiful and doubly so when they're jail-bait. I enjoyed "Quilty" (Peter Sellers) being blasted by poor Humbert Humbert--for his wonderful performances as unknown and unrelated teachers and psychiatrists (psychologists?). I wasn't sure they were him, what a masterful job! I also enjoyed that Lolita's mother (Shelley Winters) was killed. She was a fantastic actress deserving more than her two Oscars, but she played "the world's most annoying woman" better than anyone else, ergo her death was almost always a great treat.
OK, OK, muwha-ha-ha-ha.

How does that Caribbean ditty go? "If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, take an ugly woman to be your wife?" Wisdom to ponder.
Old 27th May, 2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Caught the last episode of "David Letterman" by courtesy of www.susiemadrak.com . Most very excellent show! Thirty three years and more than 6000 shows, our lives are improved by his efforts. I didn't see very many of his performances over the years, and I didn't quite "get" him tbh, but this last show put him in clear focus for me. Now I'll miss him properly. He spotted most worthy musical talent over the last three decades. So very much pure kerap to wade through and so few gems. St. Paul and the Broken Bones, what a fine band!
It's a must-see!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWXWrNAzJbw
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 1st June, 2015, 06:46 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
I hadn't seen and I wasn't ready for "Lolita" (1962). Instead of the cozy bit of exploitation I anticipated I relearned that women are indeed the deadlier of the species.
I don't think there's a more vicious, cunning or deadly creature in all of existence than a woman who's pissed off.
Old 2nd June, 2015, 02:45 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

You are so right my brother. And they are so clever and we are so willing to believe that they truly love us that the glint of the blade is seen far too late.
Was it one of the Big Bopper's songs that had the prominent (and cautionary) "Brr-rrr-rrr" in it?
Old 5th June, 2015, 03:58 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

"Red Rock West" (1993) is better than I imagined it would be. It's definitely a noir film, and it's made more difficult to be noir because of the sunny Western vistas. Not sure if Nicholas Cage is an anti-hero or a hero in this one. He's simply a far better moral character than the rest of the major roles, aptly and evilly filled by Dennis Hopper, Lara Flynn Boyle (who I'd like to be at least a thousand miles away from in this movie,) and her nasty piece of work husband J T Walsh. Yarr, they are bad, bad, worse "people!"

"Unbreakable Kimmy Schmitt" (2015-) is as opposite to "Red....." as is possible. The title character is the most positive, bubbly, persevering woman imaginable wonderfully brought to life by Ellie Kemper. It's a Netflix series that Tina Fey (she appears in it once in one episode as a darn near unrecognizable character) and a bunch of other folks produce.
Rates an 8.1 from imdb, yet because my own life is in desperate need of leavening on occasion I give it a 9.0. Highly recommended!
Old 12th June, 2015, 04:00 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

"The Bag Man" (2014) rates an unimpressive 5.3 from imdb. I say they're wrong, a 7.0 is more fair. I really liked this film. Robert De Niro plays a pure prick exceedingly well, John Cusack shines as a murderer facing many murderers in the most engrossing role I've seen him in and Rebecca Da Costa's little imperfections in features combine to make a damn near irresistible as well as an extremely dangerous woman. Highly recommended.
Old 12th June, 2015, 04:38 AM

Two items of interest: (Sir) Christopher Lee died today at 93. He was a capable actor and appeared in "Man With The Golden Gun" (1974), "Lord Of The Rings" (2001, 2002, 2003) and many others.

Also. just learned of a film dealing with Brian Wilson, presumably the creative genius behind the Beach Boys and their music! Apparently, he suffered all his life from mental illness, a form of schizophrenia, and came to be pretty much completely under the control of an overbearing psychiatrist. This is one I definitely gotta see -- "Love and Mercy" (2014)!

PS. I like John Cusack, particularly enjoyed "Grosse Pointe Blank" (1997) and "Bullets Over Broadway" (1994). "The Bag Man" is added to my list!

PPS. In process of transferring my "X-Files" TV series to my server. During which I learned of "Hanger-1", looks interesting -- I'm a sucker for UFO stuff.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 12th June, 2015 at 05:12 AM.
Old 12th June, 2015, 08:45 AM
AOA Staff

RIP Saruman.. He killed it going to 93 though!!
Old 14th June, 2015, 02:17 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Christopher Lee is one of the true greats. His interpretation of Count Dooku (at 83 years of age!) in "Star Wars" was very frightening, we will miss him!

Brian Wilson is without doubt the genius that propelled the Beach Boys into super stardom. He's had a very difficult life, perhaps kicked off by a father who was a true a**hole. I must be honest and admit that I don't love all of his works, but the ones that I do are beyond time, space and humanity's capabilities. My word, I love the guy!
I've seen lots of documentaries about him over the years, one long clip I especially like is with him and Van Dyke Parks when they were young, their mutual respect and talent is very uplifting. He will live forever in our hearts. I'll wait for "Love and Mercy," I hope it's better than decent.

I like John Cusack more as he matures into a very good actor. I wasn't fond of him in "Grosse Pointe Blank" and I'm afraid that I'll give the even older "Bullets Over Broadway" a miss unless it falls into my lap.

I periodically re-watch "The X-Files," series from start to finish. It has faults (including a few episodes that are simply too creepy or yuck), yet the producer, Chris Carter is an extremely intelligent man with a very sure touch on the series. It's annoying that David Duchovny doesn't give a poop near the end of the series, yet Gillian Anderson saves all. She simply improved with every show and was scintillating by ~1999. It didn't hurt that she was truly beautiful, funny that.
She stars in a BBC crime series of recent vintage that takes place in Northern Ireland, she's very good and still a knockout, but her character is very un-sympatico.

Wish I got The History Channel, alas I must miss "Hangar 1."