AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > 64 Bit computing

64 Bit computing "The" Topic for emerging 64 bit hardware and software.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th December, 2008, 11:36 PM
Warthog Launch Champion

the difference between vista 32 and 64 bit

i would like to know what the difference is between 32 and 64 bit and will all of my 32 bit apps work in 64 bit vista

IPhone 3G 16GB White

Intel C2Q Q6600 2.4GHz EVGA 750i SLI FTW 4GB CORSAIR XMS2 2X2GB 9800GT Stock ZALMAN 9900LED CPU COOLER ASUS vw193t 19' lcd thermaltake 500w psu Windows 7 Rtm 7600
AMD Athlon X2 4000+ @2.1Ghz ASUS M2N 2GB CORSAIR XMS2 1X2GB 7300gt STOCK thermaltake 500W PSU Windows 7 Rtm 7600
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th December, 2008, 06:15 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

32-bit Vista is subject to the same 2 GB memory limitation as all 32-bit versions of Windows (3 GB with some tweaking) unless you enable PAE, and even then, the application has to work with PAE.

64-bit Vista removes that limitation, enabling you to take advantage of more RAM (which Vista really needs; from what I've read, 2 GB of RAM should really be considered the minimum realistic configuration).

However, to run 64-bit Vista means that you have to have 64-bit versions of all your drivers. That can be somewhat problematic, ESPECIALLY for older hardware. TBH though, because of the changes in the driver model with Vista, that's not as much of an issue as it might otherwise be. Since a lot of vendors have had to release Vista specific drivers ANYWAY, most of them have released 64-bit versions also.

Yes, you can run your 32-bit applications on Vista. They run using WOW32. No, not World of Warcraft, rather 'Windows-On-Windows'. See, a WindowsNT-based OS (which Vista is) is built on a set of sub-systems. There's the NT Kernel and the native subsystem, which is where the lowest level hardware drivers live. Then there's the 16-bit OS/2 sub-system (which I think may no longer ship as part of Windows, but can still be installed from the Resource Kit). Then you've got the Posix sub-system (which has to also be installed from the Resource Kit, IIRC). On XP, 2K, and NT, you've then got the 16-bit and 32-bit Windows sub-systems. 16-bit applications are run using Windows-On-Windows, which essentially provides a 16-bit interface to 32-bit Windows. With 64-bit Vista, the 16-bit interface has gone away, and now you have 32-bit Windows-On-Windows, which interfaces to 64-bit Windows. (At least, that is what I read a while back: MS may have decided to keep the 16-bit sub-system on 64-bit Windows, since what I'm recalling was pre-release.) 32-bit applications will still be subject to the 2 GB memory limitation, but at least now they can each have their OWN 2 GB memory space, instead of being forced to share it with all the other 32-bit applications as well as the OS (assuming you have the physical memory to do so, that is).

Last edited by Gizmo; 18th December, 2008 at 09:47 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th December, 2008, 08:06 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Thank you for that information Gizmo! Dell's higher end new PC's all come with 64-bit Vista, and many have 6 Gb of RAM. Seems that Vista is just a tad of a memory monster.