AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > 64 Bit computing

64 Bit computing "The" Topic for emerging 64 bit hardware and software.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd May, 2013, 06:37 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS View Post
However, when I read that Win7 requires 4GB to function well, that implies 64bit may not be merely an option, but perhaps a necessity with Win7. But, if that's the case, why are they still selling 32bit Win7? The inconsistency seems a bit much! I'd really like to know what's actually going on with this.
This is at the very heart of the matter!

Windows exists to make Bill money...It does NOTHING that does not make Bill money. Look at how much of YOUR money MS has spent on IT'S security and how little it spends on yours.

Free Linux exists to give programmers something to do on those long slow afternoons... Oh yeah and to GIVE the world something of value...

Mint and other Linux desktops only want to be of service...to YOU.

Sorry if I tend to proselytize... I'm just in awe of what is being given away in this rather crass world we live in...":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th May, 2013, 01:13 AM

I'm just starting on another build project, this time for my neighbor. It's to replace his daughter's recently dead gamer and it appears to have Win7 installed. There are a couple parts delays at the moment, but I'm not sure how Win7 will behave when booted to a different motherboard, hopefully more forgiving than WinXP was when I tried the same thing a couple days ago (BSOD). I'm probably going to start by trying to repair the dead board and check out the OS. If I can get in, perhaps I can uninstall the board specific drivers and thereby ease transition to the new board.

At any rate, that project has piqued my curiosity about Win7, so I'm going to see what I can do with it. From your hints (), guess I should also be looking at Mint, so Cinnamon 32bit is downloading and 64bit will follow.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th May, 2013, 06:16 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I'm here if you have any questions, Booman,Gizmo and ThunderRd are here when I can't answer them! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 24th May, 2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 24th May, 2013, 09:04 PM

Thanks !

I downloaded the PDF manual for 14 from the Mint website and the downloads are version 15. I gather 14 is the officially released version and 15 is at least quasi beta. Got the old board repaired and am now familiarizing myself with Win7, a lot of differences from WinXP, feels like it's pushing me away.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 29th May, 2013, 12:07 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Mint 15 is The RC (Release candidate), think of it as a "Gold" very stable Beta, last stop before Mint 15's official release. ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 29th May, 2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old 4th October, 2013, 12:04 PM

Unfortunately, Mint 15 Live doesn't work on my Pentium 4 machine. I'm currently trying version 14.1 and it appears to at least some degree works. Needs more exploration to evaluate!
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 4th October, 2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 4th October, 2013, 03:26 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

How do you mean Mint 15 doesn't work?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 4th October, 2013, 08:34 PM

The 15 Live mode fails to complete drawing the desktop. I've just the top and bottom menu bars (with the standard menu items), but only black space between them where normally there should be a Mint desktop including three or four selection icons at the upper left side. 14.1 accomplishes this just fine. 13 also accomplishes it, but all app windows I open are frame only, no content, so 14.1 is the only version that appears functional.

However, in single drive dual boot (my preferred mode), its installer disallows more than two Mint primary partitions and that's a problem for me. I plan to give Ubuntu a try in the same configuration -- see how the installer behaves.

----------------------------------- A LITTLE LATER ---------------------------------------------

The Ubuntu installer behaves identically to Mint. It appears to just count primary partitions and after the third one it stops allocating. If the first is taken by Windows, it ignores that fact and counts it anyway as one of the Linux three.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 4th October, 2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 7th October, 2013, 12:24 AM

Quote:
The Ubuntu installer behaves identically to Mint. It appears to just count primary partitions and after the third one it stops allocating. If the first is taken by Windows, it ignores that fact and counts it anyway as one of the Linux three.
Turns out the real problem is that the MBR only allows a maximum of four primary partitions. If Windows takes two (OS partition plus Extended partition for any logicals), then that leaves only two for Linux.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 7th October, 2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old 7th October, 2013, 05:14 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Just one of the reasons I prefer separate disks for each OS... the other reasons are my inability to keep things straight in my head...":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 8th October, 2013, 06:01 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
But, if that's the case, why are they still selling 32bit Win7? The inconsistency seems a bit much! I'd really like to know what's actually going on with this.
Not all processors support 64bits... Some motherboards don't have 64bit support, so even if the processor supports 64bit operation, you can't flip it into that mode. That's especially with Cedarview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS
Turns out the real problem is that the MBR only allows a maximum of four primary partitions. If Windows takes two (OS partition plus Extended partition for any logicals), then that leaves only two for Linux.
Yes, the MBR only has space for four entries, and ideally you'd use these for booting - they don't even need to be big! However, the extended partition can hold as many logical partitions as you like, and they do not need to be MS - Linux is quite happy to use logical partitions.

I've had no issues having one primary for Windows, one primary for grub and then everything else in an extended partition.
Old 8th October, 2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aedan View Post
Not all processors support 64bits... Some motherboards don't have 64bit support, so even if the processor supports 64bit operation, you can't flip it into that mode. That's especially with Cedarview.
Sure, just like my Pentium 4 machine, but my point is the statement that Win7 requires 4GB to run well isn't true. No doubt there are applications where 4GB or even more are needed, but I don't see that being typical. I have Win7 32bit running perfectly well on a 2GB gamer and a 2GB home general purpose PC -- they run just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aedan View Post
Yes, the MBR only has space for four entries, and ideally you'd use these for booting - they don't even need to be big! However, the extended partition can hold as many logical partitions as you like, and they do not need to be MS - Linux is quite happy to use logical partitions.

I've had no issues having one primary for Windows, one primary for grub and then everything else in an extended partition.
From what I've read, all three of Linux "/", "/home" and "swap area" require primary partitions. If I can install them in logical partitions instead, that solves my problem! I'll have to try that with the Mint 14.1 installer.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 8th October, 2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old 9th October, 2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
From what I've read, all three of Linux "/", "/home" and "swap area" require primary partitions. If I can install them in logical partitions instead, that solves my problem! I'll have to try that with the Mint 14.1 installer.
You may require the "/" partition to be primary, although it's really only the boot loader than needs this. Other partitions do not need to be primary.
Old 9th October, 2013, 11:22 PM

Just repartitioned and re-installed using only Logical partitions -- was expecting complaint from the installer but it ran normally. This time I installed a 2GB swap, 500MB boot, 13GB root and the rest home, all in the Windows extended partition. Booted it and it's running, tried doing a few things, Firefox/Youtube, installed Wine, ran some utilities and benchmarks, and only VLC playback appears to be having trouble. Looking in the FileSystem I see "/boot", "/root", and "/home" and "/boot" contains a GRUB folder among other things. I also looked in the C:/WinXP partition and there's no sign of a non-Windows file, so if anything's installed in C: it isn't visible.

Funny thing about the VLC problems, it works fine off the DVD, but not off the install. Seems an unlikely thing to be influenced by the partition types so I'm guessing it's unrelated.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 10th October, 2013 at 12:18 AM.
Old 11th October, 2013, 11:53 AM

Glad to hear that this made your life a bit easier! There shouldn't be anything extra installed in Windows partition, as it shouldn't be needed.

You might want to start another thread about VLC and describe the issues you've encountered.