View Single Post
Old 10th September, 2002, 10:50 PM

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

a couple of those voltages look seriously out of spec.

First up, the science bit: A Volt is a measure of potential difference.
The potential difference between two points A and B is one volt if the work done in taking one coulomb of positive charge from B to A is one joule. It helps if you imagine the electron to be a ballbearing, and B to be uphill of A, and the voltage refers to the steepness of the slope - it's a measure of the driving force making the electrons move.

Voltage has a direction, it is arbitrarily decided that its direction is from positive to negative (same as physical current).

So, in your computer, you have a "ground" voltage - as this'll be connected to Earth, it's voltage will be about 0V. Everything else is taken in reference to the ground voltage.

The voltages listed by MBM and the like should match their titles - the core voltage is the voltage applied to your CPU.

So the voltage applied to your CPU core is + 1.92V
The +3.3 Voltage, as its name implies, should be within a fraction of a volt of +3.3V
Ditto, the + 5 Voltage should be about +5V. Typically, motherboards will handle 0.2V either side of the spec value, so 4.88V is probably OK. Your +12 Voltage is also good.

I would, however, be VERY worried about your -12 V line - I can't remember what it's used for, but it's 13V too positive.

Other, more qualified people will tell you how to fix these, though as it means fiddling with the innards of a PSU, you might not want to.

Anyway, scream if you have any more questions.