AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 31st October, 2001, 09:52 PM

Got My replacement T-bird.

I was pleasantly suprised when I received my new 1400MHz Athalon in the mail yesterday and the stepping code is AYHJA"Y".
I have seen good reviews on this stepping code and hope to be ably to hit 2Gig with it.

I am using water cooled peltiers. 2 stacked on series and wired in parallel. I am hoping to get some pretty low temps and some pretty fast speeds. I will keep everyopne posted as I work through my first serious attempt at overclocking.

AMD Athlon XP 1700+(1.47)@2200+(1.75)
MSI K7T266 Pro v2.0 - RU
512Mb Kingston PC2100 DDR
MSI GeForce 2 GTS Pro 64Mb
SoundBlaster Live Value
Acer 10x8x32 CD/RW
Pioneer 10x DVD
Watercooled 226Watt TEC cooling Processor.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st November, 2001, 12:01 AM

Send a message via ICQ to proze

Talking

good luck, man. 2ghz is a lofty overclock!!

you're brave using peltiers. not an easy thing to do!

proze-of-the-water-peltier-smoke-fire-bad-experience

Duron 600@1102 (105*10.5), Asus A7V, 256MB generic RAM at 140mhz 2-2-2, MTS Glaciator II, Creative GF Pro, Awesome no-name 300W PSU.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd November, 2001, 02:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

has anybody hit 2GHz with these? I dunno. I have the same chip as you, and I never hit 2GHz..
Old 2nd November, 2001, 04:23 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by mrpcman
has anybody hit 2GHz with these? I dunno. I have the same chip as you, and I never hit 2GHz..
Well, maybe you're just not lucky

Never know, where there's a will there's a way.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 2nd November, 2001, 04:42 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Quote:
Originally posted by mrpcman
Some Japanese fellows hit 2.2GHz with one, with help from a little liquid N2O . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 2nd November, 2001, 04:52 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
Some Japanese fellows hit 2.2GHz with one, with help from a little liquid N2O . . .
Ooooh, somebody give me a hit of that...errr, I need some of that stuff

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 2nd November, 2001, 07:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
I don't count flash overclocks as real overclocks.
Old 4th November, 2001, 05:52 PM

Toasted that one too.

Man this is not my time to get into overclocking. I just toasted another 1.4.

Placed the Temp probe next to the core and it sat just a bit higher than the core.

I got to watch the temp monitor tell me, "you are hosed!"

24c.....
32c.....
HHH......

the entire time I was frantically trying to get to the back on my case to shut it off.

I was to late.

Well now at least I have a Load I can't hurt with whick to test my water cooling system.

it's currently stable with a water temp of 23.5C and a core temp of 24.4C. unfortunately I can't test it under load.

My third and hopefully final proc has already been ordered and should be here in a couple of days. I went with a Duron 800 this time so any mistakes won't be near so expensive. I'll go back to the big boys once I get my technique down. by then it will be an XP.

AMD Athlon XP 1700+(1.47)@2200+(1.75)
MSI K7T266 Pro v2.0 - RU
512Mb Kingston PC2100 DDR
MSI GeForce 2 GTS Pro 64Mb
SoundBlaster Live Value
Acer 10x8x32 CD/RW
Pioneer 10x DVD
Watercooled 226Watt TEC cooling Processor.
Old 4th November, 2001, 06:36 PM
EPoX Tech

I've got 2 GHz on my Athlon XP using Vapochill
Old 6th November, 2001, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EPoX Tech
I've got 2 GHz on my Athlon XP using Vapochill
What kind of temps is that good for? From what I've been hearing, Vapochill is nearing it's maximum capacity with some of the faster CPU we have now-a-days . . . .

I managed -30C full-load with dry ice chilled H2O/Alcohol cooling the other day . . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 6th November, 2001, 11:38 AM
EPoX Tech

Vapochill tends to operate at around -13°C using the black jumper and around -6°C using the red jumper on XP1900 at stock voltage.

Remember though that it is a controlled system and is not designed to give the same kind of cooling that LN2 does due to the complications in Vapochills environment that such would cause.

You are meant to be able to and actually can switch on Vapochill and switch Vapochill off in the same fashion as a regular PC once set up correctly (there is merely a mainboard startup delay as the refrigeration process is initiated).

That is to say I am sure that it would be possible to tweak Vapochill further electronically, however it just isn't designed with that in mind. The stability and results are proof of this.
Old 6th November, 2001, 11:45 AM

I was referring more to the mechanical capacity of Vapochill. Supposedly it is only designed to handle a 0.1BTU load. One could always hot wire it to cycle longer(or to run non-stop), but there is no quicker way to burn a compressor up that I know of.

Just a little tip for you, every degree cooler you keep the condenser, is(theorietically) a degree cooler that the CPU will be. So slap some YS-Tech 120mm fans on the condenser coil.

AOA Team fah
Old 6th November, 2001, 11:48 AM
EPoX Tech

I got a duct blowing at it at the moment from a yankee Micron PC - most effective solution !!