AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th October, 2002, 05:18 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Why T-bred B's are so rare . . .

Some sources are sugguesting that T-bred B's are so hard to come by because yeilds are terribly low. AMD needs everyone to believe they can play along side Intel to retain market share. So what we are seeing is paper launches where the actual product when available is going almost exclusively to OEMs. There aren't enough T-bred B's to go around because yeilds may be as low as 50%, AMD has to prove to these OEMs that they can deliver in volume, so enthusiasts get the short end of the stick. This game may well pay off well for AMD once they get something competative out the door, Hammer might cut the mustard. We shall see.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 12th October, 2002 at 07:28 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th October, 2002, 06:47 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Interesting. Thanks for the information, dimmreaper!

As Intel is about twenty times the size of AMD, I find it easy to cut slack for AMD.
Old 12th October, 2002, 08:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

thanks for the information. i figured it had something to do with them pushing past their limits to keep up with intel..on paper and such.
Old 12th October, 2002, 08:59 AM

Or people just havn't been looking to hard for them
They have been in stock here for a few days;

http://www.nutrend.com/app/search.as...nufactory=1028
Old 12th October, 2002, 07:02 PM

They are in stock at a few places from time to time Ibn, but the point is that they are not in stock at most places, this inflates the price tag. The double edged sword of supply and demand . . .

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th October, 2002, 07:04 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

What do you think Jeff will their yields improve any time soon?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 12th October, 2002, 07:35 PM

I imagine they will if AMD dedicates some resources to that task. That is going to depend largely on what resources aren't being dedicated to hammer. AMD doesn't plan to blow Intel away with a K7 based CPU, they just need to stay caught up, or at least appear to. AMD plans to blow Intel away with hammer, so it is understandable that hammer will get a large slice of the available resources, which are quite slim because of the IT recession I might add.

AOA Team fah
Old 18th October, 2002, 08:42 AM

I listened to AMD's conference call yesterday. Seems they could produce 2 million 2400+ "Tbred b's" this year, but they dont think they can sell that many... So they have been selling all the old chips to reduce stock before they fully ramp up production on the new Tbred B chips... also they mentioned the 512k cache version wouldn't be out till the first quarter 2003.

Makes some sense, I just got my 2400 in the mail last friday. It is a week 39 chip, and another 2400 my neighbor got yesterday was week 40 (from Nutrend).... I think we are in week 42 right now. So they are churning them out fast to some vendors...
In the last week I have picked up a few other AMD chips for folks, the 1600's have been week 12, 13 and 20; the 1900 I grabbed was week 3...
Old 18th October, 2002, 09:06 AM
Banned

I too think that they're waiting to clear some shelves of older chips.

After all, these paper launches are kinda like writing a letter to Santa Claus.
Old 18th October, 2002, 03:30 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

A real good indicator is the VAR market... Newegg sells components... Nutrend markets custom systems.

I believe AMD is playing favorites and only distributing to system builders ATM. I think their hope is that a lot of people will be buying 2400+ SYSTEMS this Christmas, not 2400+ CPUs for a quick upgrade. Remember, they are still trying to capture mainstream buyers.
Old 18th October, 2002, 07:22 PM

When you are in the shape that AMD is in, you can't afford to be picky about who you're selling to. They just want to sell as many CPUs as they can at the highest price they can. Playing favorites doesn't do much for them there in the short term, but playing favorites now is likely to benefit them a year from now, basically what I was talking about above.

AOA Team fah
Old 19th October, 2002, 04:29 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Front page news item on anandtech today states that that Opteron(real-deal Server CPU's)"Sledgehammer's" will be available before Desktop "Clawhammer's" in 2003. And it's not the first half of '03, either.

Anand isn't a real AMD fan, IMHO. Let's hope that some kind of Hammer is sold in the first half of 2003. If not, scary(for AMD) is the right word, I think.
Old 19th October, 2002, 09:30 AM

Sledgehammers are supposed to be available in late march. Saw an AMD rep quoted about it earlier today at the INQ. Clawhammers in the second half of 2003, 90 nanomater versions in late Q4 2003, according to eetimes.
Old 19th October, 2002, 04:55 PM

If AMD is subjected to the worst case scenario, that is not necessarily bad for us. AMD has a lot of intellectual property that might be better off in the hands of corporations more concerned with the enthusiast market. It'd be interesting if for example a graphics chipset firm aquired AMD in part or in whole. Lets just hope that things work out for the best.

AOA Team fah
Old 19th October, 2002, 11:28 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Most big IT hardware corporations seem not very concerned with the enthusiast market. If AMD had to lock its doors, we would all be in deep poo. Why? Even the most religious of Intel processor lover's don't want to pay more for their P-whatevers.

When Intel was the only game in town, in the days of the original AMD K6 CPU's and Cyrix zero L2 cache wonders, what did Pentiums cost? Let's see, $600 for a 200 Mhz Pentium Pro seems accurate. And that wasn't with the largest L2 cache that P Pro's sported.

Admittedly, the P Pro was the "Xeon" of its day. I wish I could remember what a P-133 went for!
Old 19th October, 2002, 11:41 PM
Banned

intel hasn't changed it's M.O. much.
Old 20th October, 2002, 01:15 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

I see a real need in my life for serious competition in the CPU market. I paid $380.00 for a 500 chip not so long ago. $50.00 to a $100.00 CPUs that are well worth having is for me a thrill!! ":O}

But I think Jeff's saying it wouldn't be all bad, rather than it would be good if AMD goes tits up.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 20th October, 2002, 07:34 AM

I remember paying $200 for two 4MB simms

Intel isn't in much of a possition to raise prices whether AMD exists or not is the sad(for them) truth. They are having a hard enough time selling CPUs as it is now. Basically, nobody has a reason to buy new machines in wealthy regions due to a lack of the "killer applications", and people in poorer regions don't want to pay much of anything for a machine.

AOA Team fah
Old 20th October, 2002, 02:35 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I don't think we will find a company focus'd on the hardcore.. Bottom line is corporate thinking is to maximize profits. Manufacture in volume, and sales to a broad audience is the simplest way to achieve that. I would argue that AMD is actually too focused on the enthusiasts, and that actually contributing to their financial problems. Face it... in some ways, we are a thorn.

To be profitable, they have to market more to the Joe suits and Joe sixpacks. This would get them much more bang in terms of volume sales. We know what we buy, and so slick marketing has less impact on us.
Old 20th October, 2002, 04:16 PM

AMD doesn't have the manufacturing capacity to hold more than 20% of the market share at the moment anyway SteveI, so marketing to the Joe's won't help much. What they need to do is make some CPUs that system builders will want, and then worry about marketing, you see how logical that is? Once Barton starts rolling out of UMCs 12" fab, then they will be in a possition to mass market, and be in a possition to lower average selling price, partially due to lower cost of manufacturing and partially due to decreased profit margins to help grab up market share and the brand name reckognition that goes with it.

AOA Team fah