AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd November, 2001, 11:53 AM

Question How is the SiS 730 chipset?

I'm might build myself another box for folding, but as usually I'm almost broke So it has to be cheap, and I found a MoBo that's very cheap (+ it has NIC, Video and sound card!). But this board uses the SiS 730 chipset, and I have no idea how it performs. I have seen a couple of reviews of boards with the SiS 735 chipset, but none with the 730.

So can I use the board, or should I get one with the 735 instead?

I'm just gonne use it for folding, maybe with a Duron CPU.

Thanks
Asus GeForce2 MX 191/221MHz (Mem/Core)
45 Gig IBM HD

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd November, 2001, 01:11 PM

Re: How is the SiS 730 chipset?

Quote:
Originally posted by Walter:-)
I'm might build myself another box for folding, but as usually I'm almost broke So it has to be cheap, and I found a MoBo that's very cheap (+ it has NIC, Video and sound card!). But this board uses the SiS 730 chipset, and I have no idea how it performs. I have seen a couple of reviews of boards with the SiS 735 chipset, but none with the 730.

So can I use the board, or should I get one with the 735 instead?

I'm just gonne use it for folding, maybe with a Duron CPU.

Thanks
She is a little under the weather, the flu or somthing

Almost broke, hmmm.

Come join me, "BROKE"

4:05 AM, been up ALL night and a lill punchy

Here is some reading.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/01q1/010109/
eVGA 6800 GT.
350 w Sparkle PS.

XFIRE= rottys

Last edited by Lionfish; 2nd November, 2001 at 01:17 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd November, 2001, 04:21 PM
AOA Staff

havent got to mess with the 730, but the ECS 7s5a is an awesiome board for the money, It is my new choice for single chip servers, and I gotta say I LOVE em , they are super cheap! super satable! and super fast! If they will run NT4.0 (biggest POS ever!) they will run anything. This will be my standard board for awhile =D

PS : right now U can get one at Fry's with a T-bird 900 for $90 usd. !!!!
Old 2nd November, 2001, 05:30 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

While the sis730 & sis735 sound alike, they are not. From what I've heard, the sis730 is a low end chipset that should only be considered at the lowest end budget system.

The sis735 on the other hand is AWESOME. Not necessarily good for overclockers. But very stable, excellent memory performance. No north & south; it's integrated so no bottle neck there.

If budget is priority 1, the ECS K7S5A w/ lan & sound is going for $57 at newegg!!! Even if you have to spend a few bucks for video, you will not reqret it.

I love my board, even got my duron800 up to 994 with it. No more via4in1 updates, I haven't experienced a hiccup that I didn't cause. And it's been folding like a champ for almost a week.

SteveI.
Old 3rd November, 2001, 11:21 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I had a Asus SiS 730S chipsetted mainboard(A7S-VM) for a month. Then bought an ECS K7S5A. The SiS 730S chipset ain't bad, and this A7S-VM does have built-in sound, LAN and Video. All of which work well in a budget biz box.

The board just doesn't measure up if we look at price/performance between the two mainboards. The Asus SiS 730S has no AGP slot, 4 PCI slots, and 2(SDR) DIMM slots. It's a full size micro-ATX board. Cost(locally) $92 plus tax. No overclocking features.

The ECS K7S5A's ATX form factor, AGP slot, and 5 PCI slots are more useful. Its built-in LAN card works fine(Linux didn't like it, it's possible that a Linux driver now exists) and the built-in sound is OK. It's much less expensive than the Asus BoL SiS730S. It is OCable--slightly. A BIOS from OCWorkbench.com adds a few FSB's, but the Core Voltage remains auto-detect.

I don't have a fast K7 CPU. The performance jump between the SiS730S and SiS735 chipsets is noticeable with a Duron 850. I won't know if the SiS735 really moves along until I get an XP.

I'm beginning to think that the SiS735 is not a great performer. It supposedly measured up to the AMD 760 quite well, but I dunno.

As this is to be a budget box, performance simply can't take first place in importance.
Old 5th November, 2001, 10:05 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info guy's! I think I'm get a little more money and buy a board with the 735 chipset. Mainly because I can get a little overclocking features with the 735.

Thanks again
Asus GeForce2 MX 191/221MHz (Mem/Core)
45 Gig IBM HD

Old 5th November, 2001, 12:48 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Walter:-)
Thanks for the info guy's! I think I'm get a little more money and buy a board with the 735 chipset. Mainly because I can get a little overclocking features with the 735.

Thanks again
Since you are now thinking sis735, good, because for people on a tight budget, it is damn sweet. This aint your gran'ma's chipset. It beats everything 'cept the KT266A. It goes toe to toe against pricey chipsets for memperformance, both DDR and SDR.

If you want dirt cheap, Newegg has the ECS K7S5A w/lan & sound for $57!! All you need is a cheapo vid card and you'll be flying.

BTW, w/ ECS, you will need the beta bios to get FSBs of 100/112/124/133/138/150/166. Also, voltage only controled by L7s, and no multiplier control.

If you need more flexibility and can spend a little more, the choices for the 735 should be going up quickly.

Good Luck,
SteveI.
Old 6th November, 2001, 03:53 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Ploaf Send a message via AIM to Ploaf Send a message via Yahoo to Ploaf

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI

If you want dirt cheap, Newegg has the ECS K7S5A w/lan & sound for $57!! All you need is a cheapo vid card and you'll be flying.

BTW, w/ ECS, you will need the beta bios to get FSBs of 100/112/124/133/138/150/166. Also, voltage only controled by L7s, and no multiplier control.
I'll cast a vote for this board. Have two of them folding full time and they haven't given me a bit of trouble, which is nice for a change. I don't have the beta bios though. OC'd the AMD's that live there with a dremel, a magnifying glass, conductive paint, and unsteady hands that almost killed one of them.
Old 6th November, 2001, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ploaf

I'll cast a vote for this board. Have two of them folding full time and they haven't given me a bit of trouble, which is nice for a change. I don't have the beta bios though. OC'd the AMD's that live there with a dremel, a magnifying glass, conductive paint, and unsteady hands that almost killed one of them.

I like your sig might change it to: 'Folding on a pencil and a Prayer!'

my A7S-VM has been folding for 215hrs straight. not a whimper!

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dabaerman; 6th November, 2001 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10th November, 2001, 01:58 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Ploaf Send a message via AIM to Ploaf Send a message via Yahoo to Ploaf

Quote:
Originally posted by dabaerman

I like your sig might change it to: 'Folding on a pencil and a Prayer!'

my A7S-VM has been folding for 215hrs straight. not a whimper!
Thanks.
I've got 3 machines that I haven't had to reboot for (r u ready) 3 weeks running win98. Better yet, one is a Kt7-raid. Guess folding is good for them, because that board was about as stable as a basketball balancing on a cue stick.