AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st November, 2002, 12:38 PM

need help with o/c

my rig should be in my sig.
i'm new to overclocking and i wanted to know if temps. would stop me from upping my FSB?
atm, my FSB is at 142, multipler at default 11, running my xp1700 at 1570Mhz
my current CPU temps are 50 degrees celsius when running several applications (read from sisoft sandra)...probably not full load.....
i got two 80mm case fans one in blowhole and one at the back.

if i try running any higher FSB than 142 my monitor just turns off when the comptuer boots up...also, monitor is plugged serparate to the PSU so shouldn't be power problem....
also when monitor turns off, i gota pull out power cord, wait a while then plug it back in before computer boots up again....

is it coz my temps are too high? or is this the 'limit' of my CPU, if its my limit i'll be annoyed....coz 100mhz gain isn't wat i wanted

hope someone can explain what's wrong....
thanks heaps!

1700+ w/stock fan, 8k5a2+, 256mb corsair xms 2700, 40GB maxtor, 52x benq cdrom, 300W PSU, 2x80mm case fans, GF4 Ti4200 128mb
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st November, 2002, 12:40 PM

also, i have a geforce4 ti4200 128mb v/c

1700+ w/stock fan, 8k5a2+, 256mb corsair xms 2700, 40GB maxtor, 52x benq cdrom, 300W PSU, 2x80mm case fans, GF4 Ti4200 128mb
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st November, 2002, 01:10 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Well, for overclocking, the stock fan is worthless. You will probably need a better HSF to go for good overclocks. ATM, the temp isn't too high, so I think there is something else holding you back.

Either the PSU or the memory is the most likely limiting factor. What PSU are you using? And how is your memory set up?

If you have the memory set up to defaults, it will be 166mhz... then as you up the FSB from 133 to say 140, the memory will go up from 166 to like 175 or so. Try setting your memory to 133 as well and see if you can overclock better.
Old 2nd November, 2002, 01:01 PM

memory is set to fastest in bios, idon't know how to fiddle with the 2-6-2-2 stuff...i don't know anything cept that the lower they are the better its meant to be but more unstable it gets..

i have 300W psu Codegen...
i'm thinking it shouldn't be psu because i don't have many devices attached...there's only video card, 2 case fans plus the cpu stock fan, cd rom, floppy drive and hard drive....300W should handle this plus some overclocking shouldn't it?

Old 2nd November, 2002, 01:38 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

OK, well your PSU is not a great overclocker's favorite. But before we mess with that, change your memory speed to 133mhz. This will make your memory run synchronously with FSB. At 140fsb, the mem will tag along at 140mhz... and so on. Since your memory is capable of at least 166, we can find out if your CPU was holding you back and keep memory out of the equation.

Back to your PSU, do you have mbm running? If not, download it from aoafiles. It will be a good idea to keep an eye on your voltages and temps when you stress the machine. If your voltages drop too much, it is a good sign your PSU is overtaxed. Even though you don't have a lot of components, just your video card is a power hog, and with overclocking, may be too much for your PSU.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 2nd November, 2002, 02:27 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Also just to help get your temps a bit lower try useing duct tape to cover up all the holes on the back of tour case. Since you aren't running and intake fans your exaust fans will suck out the most convient air. If you cover all the holes except for the front where the intack is it will give you better air flow thruogh the case

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 3rd November, 2002, 08:02 AM

i set my memory sspeed to 133mhz, but computer doesn't post and monitor goes into suspend......i put it back to 166mhz and loads up into windows without any problems.....

about the power problem...would it work if i place in my old computer (which is lying around doing nothing) and put it next to my computer and have the power plugs put into the cdrom, harddrive and floppy of computer i use.....
does that work? coz i realli couldn't be btoherd spendnign money on a new psu which will be expensive if i want a good quality one.... i'm going to put money on a heatsink instead...planning to get a Thermalright SK-7

Old 3rd November, 2002, 10:43 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

You could set up the PSU's like that, though you would need to fire the secon PSU up seperately (Done using a paperclip from the green wire to a black, but this would mean the PSU is constantly on....

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."