AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st November, 2002, 03:27 PM

XP1600 / Abit KX7-333 Problems

After finally getting my water cooling rig setup and windows 2K installed I'm having the following problems....

When I initially switch the PC on it powers up put there is no display and I'm sure its not posting. However, if I hit the reset switch it boots OK.

Also, when in widnow I get random crashes and explorer errors, then the PC will reboot without warning.

I know the CPU is cooled OK and its not over clocked in any way. I'm using a 300WATT Enlight PSU that used to power my 1400 T/bird all day long.

Any ideas on what my problem is?

Cheers,
E.
Old 1st November, 2002, 03:40 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Is only the CPU different? Is the KX7 new as well? What are your other components? If you've done any other work on it, double check to make sure everything is seated correctly. Have you changed memory timings at all?
Old 1st November, 2002, 03:59 PM

Besides the PSU and crucial memory it all new stuff.

Everything has been reseated etc however I've not tried different DIMM slot configurations.

I've tried loads of different memory timings but at the moment its set to default (the bios as been reset)

Thanks for the ideas
Old 1st November, 2002, 04:16 PM
Banned

What cpu are you running? At 166fsb?
Old 1st November, 2002, 04:17 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Just more random thoughts.
If you were using an SDRAM mobo, they seem to require less power. Many 300w PSUs just can't cut with HW that's out today. Do you have specs on your PSU?

If you can list all of your components with details, we should be able to help troubleshoot.
Old 1st November, 2002, 05:35 PM

I was using a 1400 T/bird with an MSI KA266 Pro2 RU motherboard with the same crucial memory. Everything worked fine for the 8 months I had it.

This is a list of components.

XP1600+ CPU Locked
2 X 256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR
120GB Segate ATA 100 HDD
Pioneer Slot DVD
SoundBalster Live 1024
Realtek Network Card 10/100
Geforce 2 MX 400 (Being replace soon)

I also have a digi doc attached and 2 X 80mm case fans. It crashes with them on or off.

I'll check the PSU ratings tonight when I get home from work. I know its an Athlon T/bird approved unit.

AkaBruno - I'm running the XP1600+ CPU, it will boot at 166 X 10.5 but I'm not overclocking it until I sort this problem out

Last edited by Enigma; 1st November, 2002 at 05:39 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st November, 2002, 05:52 PM
Banned

It doesn't sound like the cpu is weak, if it can boot at 1743. But, it may be calling for some more vcore, for stability.

It could be RAM juice. You could try raising the Dram voltage, to see if it stabilizes. How many sticks are you running? More than 2 can be a problem.

And yes it can be the PSU being weak.

Or it could be overheating. Watch your temps. Just booting can send temps through the roof. What are you running when it crashes?

It is puzzling...
Old 1st November, 2002, 06:28 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I'm trying to avoid falling into the rut where I preach about 300w PSUs. Not sure, just keep it in the back of you mind for now.

For troubleshooting purposes, run with 1 stick of memory, unplug non critical PCI devices, and see if you can get stability. If you find stability, only add 1 component at a time. This way, you can find the culprit component or the line were the PSU is overtaxed.

I'm not familiar with water cooling... does the pump draw a lot of power? If this is the case, it may be too much for your PSU.
Old 1st November, 2002, 11:19 PM

OK I have an update....

I've changed the RAM slots and all seem to be well.

I had them in 1 and 3 (like with my old abit system)

Changed them to 3 and 4 and it boots first time, every time. I went into windows a couple of times and that was fine too....

So, I clocked it to 170 X 10.5 just to see if it would fire up and it did. So I have it at that above speed running 1.80v

I had one lockup at 1.75v but the extra bump seems to have sorted it out...

The system has now been running for 15 minutes and the CPU is at 38*C.

I'll keep you posted as to the results.

Cheers to all who have helped.

Old 1st November, 2002, 11:36 PM
Banned

Yea man! But, don't stop there. There's more headroom left in that thing. I just know it.
Old 2nd November, 2002, 02:50 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Very nice...
I like akaBruno's thinking.. Try running conservative timings with the memory, and see if you can up the FSB some more. Sounds like you have a very nice overclocking CPU... See how far she can go.