AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th November, 2002, 06:54 AM

Send a message via ICQ to BigRed Send a message via AIM to BigRed Send a message via Yahoo to BigRed

how would i go about unlocking a duron?

I sugguested that to my friend that I could probably overclock his cpu higher, his computer i bought him for his bday has a 1ghz duron that runs @ 1.33ghz with default voltage. Since he has crappy generic pc133 (probably wont go over 140mhz) i was going to up the multi. What bridges do i need to pencil in to unlock it?
Old 5th November, 2002, 07:15 AM

Send a message via ICQ to BigRed Send a message via AIM to BigRed Send a message via Yahoo to BigRed

Also note this is my first time unlocking an amd.
Me = n00b
Old 5th November, 2002, 08:49 AM

You bring it to Uncle Bob so you don't blow it up! LOL

But seriously, you just use a number 2 pencil and short out the L1 bridges.

Paint trick (this is pretty permanent, Red!)

Pencil trick If it don't work (some Durons are better overclockers than others) you can just erase it and, voilla, it's stock again!

If you crap it out, I got a 1.1 Ghz Duron I'll sell you cheap to get your hiney outta the fire!

Oh, BTW, Mary Jo thought you were a very nice chap....was she seeing the same dood I was? LOL
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th November, 2002, 09:03 AM

LOL
Most girls see me differently for some reason

Do i short all the L1 bridges with the pencil? Im looking at it now and I count 5.

Would you want to sell that 1.1ghz anyway? My dad needs a new solotare computer. He says that K6 233mmx is too slow, lol
Plus newegg has a shuttle AK32L rather cheaply right now
Old 5th November, 2002, 10:32 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Each L1 needs to be connected, its fairly easy with a steady hand! Im up to the stage of applying conductive ink freehand with a needle now! And I shake like a leaf. So you wont have a problem with pencil I dont think!

(to make it a bit more permanent, tape over the bridges when you are done)

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th November, 2002, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BigRed
LOL
Most girls see me differently for some reason

Do i short all the L1 bridges with the pencil? Im looking at it now and I count 5.

Would you want to sell that 1.1ghz anyway? My dad needs a new solotare computer. He says that K6 233mmx is too slow, lol
Plus newegg has a shuttle AK32L rather cheaply right now

YEs, you do all of them, just like in the photos.
PM me and I'll get to you about the Duron!
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Old 5th November, 2002, 04:33 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Here is a pic of the bridges on my Athlon 1.4 (they should look the same.

*Note* my Athlon's bridges were never cut at the factory.
Rob
Attached Thumbnails
how would i go about unlocking a duron?-picture-014.jpg  
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 5th November, 2002, 06:02 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

I tried and tried and tried. I first tried window defogger paint and a needle. Couldn't get enough paint on the needdle. Tried a small brush for painting detail on models. I got paint everywhere. Acetone (nail polish remover) and cotton swabs (Q-tips) take it right off. Then I trie the tip of a razor but the paint kept drying on the razor. Then I tried a jewlers screwdriver. It worked the best but I still cross shorted some of the bridges. So I used a jewlers screwdriver and did ecah bridge one at a time, waited for it to dry then did the next one. I posted my experiance on oc-forums and many people tried it and liked it, and someone wrote a guide for it. My finest moment as an overclocker when I booted up and had multiplier control (also my first overclock).

The best advice that I can give you is too have a small magnifying glass on a stand, a larger magnifying glass on a stand perferibly with a light. Flourescent light is better as it doesn't dry the glue as quickly. And a rubber mat (or neoprene, or foam) to set your cpu on so it doesn't move.

Good Luck

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 5th November, 2002, 08:31 PM

my experience with unlocking...

600 Duron - unlocked
1000 t-bird - pencil method worked first time
1600+ - rear window defogger repair kit worked first time by taping each bridge.
1200 Duron - pencil trick did nothing... may have to use rear window defogger repair kit

DFI Lanparty S939 NF3 Ultra-D | AMD X2 4200 @ 2.6GHz | 1gb OCZ pc3200 rev2 TCC5 | ATI X800XT Platinum Edition| 2x120G WD | Plextor 712a | Antec SLK3700AMB| 520w OCZ PowerStream | Zalman 7000Cu

My Heatware 100% Positive
Old 5th November, 2002, 08:58 PM

my Duron 1.3 waz unlocked by me.

It has full range of muliti's as low as 5x and all the way upto 15x. Screenies are available if ya want sum.. but it's rock n roll at 7 x 202 or 7.5 x 193 for maximum performance.
ATi X1950XTX 512 CrossFire
Triple WD Raptor 10k HDDs@ raid 0
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PHD7UY
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PH9UK
BetterCable SilverSerpent SVGA & DVI-D
Sony BWU-100A Blu-Ray PC Drive

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
conroe - superPi - 14 sec.
Old 5th November, 2002, 10:10 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

The best way is probably using scotch tape to create a little template for each bridge. Then use the defogger repair kit. This way, you can be a little sloppy. As the paint starts to dry, remove the tape.. when it's fully dry, you can start the tape for the next bridge. This will take a lot of time and patience, but in the end will probably be much cleaner and long lasting.