AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th November, 2002, 12:57 AM

Question K7s5a...totally nada! dead or cureable?

HI ALL!
Some of u might wonder why u see me here at the ecs forum while i used to hang out at the epox forums. I bought this mobo to set up a small pc for me lady so she can work for school without messing up my machine !
the problem i have is:
I connected the mobo to a 300 watt psu. Put the amd duron 800 on it. Seated the 128mb siemens 133 ram and a tnt 16mb card. When i power up all that happens is that the fan will spin on the cpu sink. Nothing welse....no peeps nor screen is visible.....totally nada.
The board was second hand and i saw it work at the guys place where i bought it from. Th erest of the hardware works fine on my ....yeahhh , epox mobo!

Do u have any idea what this could be??? all ideas and help are more than welcome as this was supposed to be a birthday present and that day will be next week ! so i need to hurry a bit

thnx in advance
Old 6th November, 2002, 02:32 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

trying holding down the insert key when you turn it on. Or do a cmos clear.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th November, 2002, 04:10 AM

You might also try reseating your ram and Vid card if you haven't already. Also check to see that the fsb jumper is set to 100 and not 133 with that Duron. Good luck

Last edited by RandyB; 6th November, 2002 at 04:12 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th November, 2002, 06:51 PM

my mate had a similiar problem (same board etc etc) he fixed it by a 1 inch dent in the top of his case with his foot, for some reason after that it worked (I'm being serious about this, I was there at the time, it wouldnt boot up, he got pissed off and whacked the case, then it started working fine after that.)
Old 6th November, 2002, 06:52 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Quote:
Originally posted by loop
my mate had a similiar problem (same board etc etc) he fixed it by a 1 inch dent in the top of his case with his foot, for some reason after that it worked (I'm being serious about this, I was there at the time, it wouldnt boot up, he got pissed off and whacked the case, then it started working fine after that.)
Most likely, something wasn't seated well, and the kick probably put it back in place...

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 6th November, 2002, 07:04 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Quote:
Originally posted by loop
If you go to Elite Groups (ecs) website, that is actually step 4 in thier trouble shooting guide. Step 5 is to pick up the case over your head and slam it as hard as you can. For step 6 you have to live in a two story building.

Just Kidding
I wouldn't recomend Loop's fix for your system. Check for any jumpers (100/133 FSB) and clear the coms. If that doesn't help try reseating everything.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 6th November, 2002, 07:24 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

If memory serves me correctly, there are only 2 usable jumpers on this mobo. clear cmos, and some keyboard test on/off jumper.

Since you have changed components since it last worked. try to clear the cmos to start.

Reseat everything.. Just curious, are you running ddr or sdr?You know you can only use 1 type right? Also try moving the stick to the other slot.

Also, what psu are you using? the k7s5a is a bit finnicky and requires a decent psu.

Since your fan is spinning, I don't think it's dead. good luck.
Old 6th November, 2002, 07:54 PM

Hi all!
Thnx for all the posts.!
Unfortunately i tried all the things u mentioned allready. Especially the kickin didn't work
But i do use one sticjk of sd-ram. I tied a 128 mb siemens and a 512 which comes out of a working pc. doesn't matter wgich i use.

Shouldn't that board beep when i power up???? i hear nothing

btw.: i only tried it on a desk....not in the case and without any drives connected

all default:http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5585945
Old 6th November, 2002, 08:00 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Quote:
Originally posted by [FuK]poudaman

Shouldn't that board beep when i power up???? i hear nothing
It'll only beep if you have the speaker header connected to a speaker.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 6th November, 2002, 08:12 PM

hehe....i have a speaker connected yes. but no beeps

Old 6th November, 2002, 08:15 PM

btw.: some other sign of life. the keyboard leds shine up when poewering up

Old 6th November, 2002, 08:28 PM

Try removing the power cable, removing CMOS battery, waiting 5 minutes+ and reinstalling them
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Old 7th November, 2002, 05:27 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Just out of curiousity, how did you handle the fact that the K7S5A gives you two pins to connect the Power LED connection from the front panel of the case, when every little plug for the Power LED I've ever seen uses a plug with 3 Pins in it? More accurately, there are only 2 Pins in the plug, but the plug has space for 3 Pins.

I was surprised to discover that there are only two pins on the K7S5A. For $54, you can't expect the moon, but two pins must be against the law. Somewhere.

The directions in the K7S5A's manual for connecting the Front Panel LED's... suck. Your problem may be there.
Old 7th November, 2002, 12:51 PM

Send a message via MSN to Spode

I found the k7s5a does not like older graphics cards. Wouldn't take any of my Rage cards. Try a different graphics card.

I got round the power led issue with a knife and splut the 3 pin into 2. sorted.

You might also try plugging speakers into the sound card. Sometimes the beep comes out of there instead of the pc speaker. But I think I might auto-detect the speakers. I could be wrong.

If the keyboard Lights blink, I would say the CPU is fine. I really do think this is a graphics card problem. I've dealt with quite afew of these boards.

I found an Elsa TNT2 M64 worked, but ATI Rage Pro 2x and a couple of others didn't. Could be a pre AGP 4x thing.,...
Old 7th November, 2002, 08:16 PM

thought about the agp 4x aswell. but resetting the bios should put it to 2x default shouldn't it?
Old 7th November, 2002, 11:36 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
btw.: some other sign of life. the keyboard leds shine up when poewering up
Most keyboard leds will come on briefly when the keyboard is powered up. That's just the processor in the keyboard getting itself up and running.

That just means that power is getting to the keyboard.

AidanII
Old 8th November, 2002, 01:02 AM

Send a message via MSN to Spode

I still reckon it's the graphics card...
Old 8th November, 2002, 10:17 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Simple solution for GFX card. Take it out. Start it up without one.

To run the POST, the system needs, CPU, RAM and power, and nothing else. It should at least beep at you if the BIOS can't init the GFX card.

If you still get nothing, then it sounds like the board is dead. If you can get hold of a Port 80 display card, then try using that - that will tell you where the BIOS fails, if it even gets started!

AidanII
Old 9th November, 2002, 10:03 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
thought about the agp 4x aswell. but resetting the bios should put it to 2x default shouldn't it?
Under the "PCI / PLUG AND PLAY SETUP" section of the K7S5A's(at least Rev. 3 of the mobo) BIOS, there's an item: "AGP 4X Control Enable/Disable." This hints that the AGP Bus is set to "2X" by default. After clearing the BIOS, you probably have 2X. And you may well have 2X if this option is set to "Disable."
Old 11th November, 2002, 09:01 PM

My $ is on the RAM.

Contact the previous owner and find
out exactly what type (brand,etc.)
of memory he was using.

The last K7S5A that I put together
would absolutely not boot with DDR.

Finally, after trying about 6 different
flavors of SDRAM it booted with Corsair.

Pops.