AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th November, 2002, 01:00 AM

SLK-800...Artic Silver3 vs. Thermal Pad?!

Ok..just got off sort of an unpleasant support staffer at AMD...in regards to the problems I have been having w/ the 2400XP and lack of any thermal protection. If you dont know I have been through 2 of these CPU's both at boot time pre-BIOS POST.
Anyways as suspected I have a non-AMD Approved, Fan, HeatSink, and MoBo...go figure..you try to go w/ something competent and get screwed. So this guy is telling me that Thermal Paste like Artic Silver is not recommeded by AMD and that I should ONLY use a thermal Pad? Is this OK to use on the SLK-800? Is this guy full of it?

Oh BTW..on the 2nd 2400 I tried to use a non-conductive shim...bam up in smoke as the suggested shim prevented good conductivity to the SLK...

Also is there any MoBo makers Intel or AMD support that have any protection for the CPU on Pre-BIOS POST heat issues? Something "internal" to the motherboard?

Think I am cursed
WD 80GB HD 8MB Cache
ATI AIW 8500 128MB
SoundBlaster Audigy
Plextor 40x CD-RW
Windows XP Professional

Last edited by audimaniac; 6th November, 2002 at 01:03 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th November, 2002, 01:09 AM

if u fry a cpu before bios there must be something very wrong with the voltage. Cant be that a cpu goes up in smoke in lets say 5 sec......no way!!!!!!
What cpu were u using before u got the xp2400?
And what was ur voltage on it?
Old 6th November, 2002, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by [FuK]poudaman
if u fry a cpu before bios there must be something very wrong with the voltage. Cant be that a cpu goes up in smoke in lets say 5 sec......no way!!!!!!
What cpu were u using before u got the xp2400?
And what was ur voltage on it?
AMD K6-450 ;-)

As for the the voltage 1.75V .1 above OEM spec.

The first CPU fried as I was a "MORON" and thought I could at least start the PC to see the clock speed on the BIOS POST w/o the heatsink on..then shut it off with in 10 seconds of turning on the power..fried in 5 seconds!

The second fried with heat sink on and shim and ArticSilver3 but about 1/3rd of the CPU's Core I "GUESS" was not touching the SLK-800...

Both fried BEFORE the BIOS POST..thus 0 detection of heat! And yes it was configured in the BIOS to shutdown power at 85°

Thoughts?

Thx

cp
WD 80GB HD 8MB Cache
ATI AIW 8500 128MB
SoundBlaster Audigy
Plextor 40x CD-RW
Windows XP Professional
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th November, 2002, 01:22 AM

sorry but i do not understand the problem. You just said ythat most propably it was ur fault that u did not place the sink correctly on the cpu!
So that is the fault. And noone needs a pre bios protection as everybody knows that a heatsink needs to be placed before powering up. But i am sure u heared that before

About the AS3. Use it. Do not listen to that guy u spoke to. A pad is one big beace of rubbish that is does not do the job as good as any thermal grease.

So this is what u do!
Clean the cpu from all old pads or pastes. Clean the base of ur cooler. Put a tiny drop of as3 on the core and carefully place the Sink. U do not need the spacer but u can use it if it makes u sleep better.
Make sure that the clip is seated proppably and the sink is mounted correctly. Now u make sure ur fan is connected to mobo or psu. And nothing will fry!
good luck

all default:http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5585945
Old 6th November, 2002, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by [FuK]poudaman
sorry but i do not understand the problem. You just said ythat most propably it was ur fault that u did not place the sink correctly on the cpu!
So that is the fault. And noone needs a pre bios protection as everybody knows that a heatsink needs to be placed before powering up. But i am sure u heared that before

About the AS3. Use it. Do not listen to that guy u spoke to. A pad is one big beace of rubbish that is does not do the job as good as any thermal grease.

So this is what u do!
Clean the cpu from all old pads or pastes. Clean the base of ur cooler. Put a tiny drop of as3 on the core and carefully place the Sink. U do not need the spacer but u can use it if it makes u sleep better.
Make sure that the clip is seated proppably and the sink is mounted correctly. Now u make sure ur fan is connected to mobo or psu. And nothing will fry!
good luck
So I do NOT need to smear a thin coat along the entire CPU Core/Die? Just a small drop/dab and let the pressure from the HSF smear the AS3 on its own? Also what is up w/ my temps? Coolest I have seen is 52° w/ 180x12.5 at 1.75V ambient temps around 31-32° in the case (as in sort of a poorly ventalated Cubbie in my desk. Also have 2x190mm fans on the side, ThermalTake 70cfm 80mm fan on SLK-800...
WD 80GB HD 8MB Cache
ATI AIW 8500 128MB
SoundBlaster Audigy
Plextor 40x CD-RW
Windows XP Professional
Old 6th November, 2002, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by audimaniac

So I do NOT need to smear a thin coat along the entire CPU Core/Die? Just a small drop/dab and let the pressure from the HSF smear the AS3 on its own? Also what is up w/ my temps? Coolest I have seen is 52° w/ 180x12.5 at 1.75V ambient temps around 31-32° in the case (as in sort of a poorly ventalated Cubbie in my desk. Also have 2x190mm fans on the side, ThermalTake 70cfm 80mm fan on SLK-800...
Smearing out is vbbetter yeah. I forgot about that sorry. Just make sure you got a thin layer of whatever thermal pate u are using.
About the temps i do not dare to decide whether it is high or normal. I am using a xp2000 and 50 full load is what i get.
But the system temp does not say much. It is meassured by one sensor on ur board. If u got one fan pointing at that sensor it will be cool but that does not mean u have a good airflow.
Like in my case upping the cpu fan rpm will give me lower cpu temp but 5 degrees higher case temp. That is because the airflow is distorted and the thermal sensor on the board does not get the same ammount of fresh air anymore.

But i would say thatu have a really good coooler and that it should be able to cool the cpu good enough.
Old 6th November, 2002, 05:30 AM

Send a message via ICQ to proze

Dude, go and check out the guide at Arcticsilver's website. Very nice, with pictures. And yeah, the SLK-800 exceeds AMD's recommended maximum HSF weight, so it's not approved, so you wouldn't get much sympathy from them. Understandable imo, and that's why forums like this exist.

Duron 600@1102 (105*10.5), Asus A7V, 256MB generic RAM at 140mhz 2-2-2, MTS Glaciator II, Creative GF Pro, Awesome no-name 300W PSU.
Old 6th November, 2002, 09:08 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Re: SLK-800...Artic Silver3 vs. Thermal Pad?!

Quote:
Originally posted by audimaniac

Also is there any MoBo makers Intel or AMD support that have any protection for the CPU on Pre-BIOS POST heat issues? Something "internal" to the motherboard?
Intel CPUs since the P3 have had thermal protection circuitry built into the CPU. With the P4, it has advanced even further. When the thermal circuitry senses that the P4's temperature has exceeded a safe range, it will throttle the CPU speed down until it has sufficiently cooled. This protection circuitry is internal to the CPU and there are absolutely no controls for it on any motherboard.

This obviously has great benefits. In the event that the fan on the HSF stops spinning, this will allow you to save your work since the CPU will not just crash. It will just slow down. In the event that the HSF is accidentally or unwittingly removed, a catastrophic event for AMD processors as you know, the exact same thing happens. The P4 will throttle down until it reaches a safe temperature.

As great as AMD processors are, they have a LONG way to go before they catch up to Intel in certain technologies.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......