AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th November, 2001, 08:36 AM
EPoX Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
Assuming your PSU is up to snuff, 150 is in the bag, your probably good for at least 156 . . . .

Edit: Just noticed you have two sticks of memory, so maybe you won't do too much over 150 . . .
Please note that I always use 2 sticks of memory due to the addressing performance increase. Always buy 2 sticks at the same time from exactly the same batch. Difficult for some to accomplish, but aa good idea.
Old 8th November, 2001, 08:50 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Quote:
Originally posted by EPoX Tech

Please note that I always use 2 sticks of memory due to the addressing performance increase. Always buy 2 sticks at the same time from exactly the same batch. Difficult for some to accomplish, but aa good idea.
And you have no problems with two identicle sticks? Ok fine by me, I'll just shut the **** up now . . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th November, 2001, 11:44 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Still stuck at 1247FSB.... might try increasing the memory voltage.... but i doubt thats the problem. i think more core voltage will help. once unlocked i can see if its the chip wanting more juice, or something not liking hte FSB.

the PSU is a Sparkle 400 watt, so thats not the problem, i think the northbridge may be getting hot, i checked under it and it has thermal paste so it shoudlnt be that! CPU temp is still a possibility as i not sure of the in socket temp at the moment.

anyway this weekend im gonna unlock the CPU, and get a senfu temp probe that should answer all the questions.

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."

Last edited by Random Nonsense; 8th November, 2001 at 11:48 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th November, 2001, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Random Nonsense
Still stuck at 1247FSB.... might try increasing the memory voltage.....
1247MHz FSB!!! I think you need to increase you voltage pretty much to get it higher LOL
Asus GeForce2 MX 191/221MHz (Mem/Core)
45 Gig IBM HD

Old 8th November, 2001, 08:29 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

hehehe i wish! typo :P

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 9th November, 2001, 12:10 AM

What memory voltage are you running Random? I've got to set mine to 3.0v to make it through 3Dmark at the speeds I'm pushing. I've heard of peps running the memory with as much as 3.2v with extra cooling . . . . I have to run mine at 2.8 to get to 150 with stability . . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 9th November, 2001, 03:08 AM

As far as northbridge cooling, I replaced the rattly sounding Evercool HSF that came on my board(newer boards come with a CoolerMaster HSF) with a Tennmax Lasania HSF and got the back of the board a degree cooler while I was at it. However much stability was not gained from this single degree. I'm seriously considering putting a 25mmx25mm 16V TEC under the Tennmax, as I want this system to run 170 stable . . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 9th November, 2001, 05:57 AM

Send a message via ICQ to proze

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
What memory voltage are you running Random? I've got to set mine to 3.0v to make it through 3Dmark at the speeds I'm pushing. I've heard of peps running the memory with as much as 3.2v with extra cooling . . . . I have to run mine at 2.8 to get to 150 with stability . . . .
i dunno jeff, my ram seems to get pretty hot at the 2.8v i'm running it at. i'm glad i have the heatspreaders now, but i'm going to get a fan on them asap as well.

Duron 600@1102 (105*10.5), Asus A7V, 256MB generic RAM at 140mhz 2-2-2, MTS Glaciator II, Creative GF Pro, Awesome no-name 300W PSU.
Old 9th November, 2001, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by proze

i dunno jeff, my ram seems to get pretty hot at the 2.8v i'm running it at. i'm glad i have the heatspreaders now, but i'm going to get a fan on them asap as well.
It ain't hot till you get burned . . . .

Lot's of people seem to be under the impression that heat can quite easily kill parts, this is not the case. There are voltage regulators that are designed to operate at up to 125C, with thermal overload protection that doesn't kick in till 135C! The problem with heat is not so much that it kills parts, its that it reduces transistor switching speed.

The moral? Don't worry about heat until it appears to be causing system instability.

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 9th November, 2001 at 06:45 AM.
Old 9th November, 2001, 10:43 AM
EPoX Tech

I have to agree strongly with Jeff here.

When you feel that the memory is too hot with your fingers, does not mean that the memory itself feels too hot.

Remember that when I go for anything in the region of 170MHz plus I wrangle with 2.90v minimum and the fact that I'm running heat spreaders doesn't really matter - they cool things down, but the memory would be happy to run anyway at that voltage and without the spreaders.
Old 9th November, 2001, 02:02 PM

i will try more voltage on the RAM when i get home from college today.... i managed 148 FSB for about an hour yesturday...... hopefully it will be stable with the extra voltage

EPoX tech in your experiance does teh 8KHA+ report reletively accurate temps with palomino's?

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 9th November, 2001, 09:08 PM

nope no luck! guess its the CPU limit or needs more VCORE. Im yet to accurately measure temps tho! so i will leave it as is till i get the sensor

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 9th November, 2001, 10:06 PM

Try moving your PCI cards from PCI5 and PCI6 to PCI1 and PCI2, I've found that the slot the cards are in make a bit of difference. Also, increasing the PCI latency can help too.

More than likely it's just the CPU holding you back, either up the Vcore, or unlock that baby . . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 9th November, 2001, 10:30 PM

order of business:

1: Unlock CPU and see if i can up FSB with a lower multiplier
2: Get senfu probe and take accurate temps
3: Perform Vhack and push it to 1800Mhz if i can!

NB: 3 only if 1 and 2 are acceptable

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED