AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th November, 2002, 01:13 PM

T-BRED @ 3.3GHZ! Aircooled.......NOT!!!

These intrepid overclockers have gotten their Athlon XP based on the Thoroughbred core up to an incredibly fast for todays standards 3,328.97mhz.......

AMD XP at 3.3Ghz.

http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/3233730401/3328.JPG
Old 14th November, 2002, 02:01 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Those Japanese OC'ers don't mess around do they...

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th November, 2002, 03:29 PM

These Nl2 overclocks are interesting.

Usually they show what a more "mormal" overclocker will be able to cheive with new steppings 6 months before they arrive.

Its abviously not stable at 3.3, but we may see a 3dmark at 3gig toping the tables alongside a NL2 9700 if anybody has the money to try it.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th November, 2002, 06:01 PM

I also look at it in this way. If AMD works at continually refining the process we may indeed see these chips hitting such levels with less radical methods of cooling.

It's quite funny thinking of these avid clockers risking life domiciles and snap frozen appendages just to get the highest overclock......

I believe an individual with the nick of KAMU has already used LN on an R9700 however in tandem with the P4.
Old 14th November, 2002, 06:41 PM

If you freeze a finger or head in LN2 it wont snap off (wont get cold enough) you will just get very severe frostbite so your bits will turn black and then drop off.

Ive seen R9700 and P4 on LN2, allthough seeing somebody using dual promethia (CPU and GPU) was probably more impressive.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 14th November, 2002, 07:31 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

I think if you just wear rubber gloves, you're pretty much ok. As long as the stuff doesn't make contact with your skin, you shouldn't have any problems. As the liquid touches the glove, it should evaporate instantly creating a thin layer of gaseous N2 which should do a sufficient job of insulating the rest of you (and the glove) from the extreme cold.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 14th November, 2002, 11:12 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

An EE friend insists that LN2 isn't very dangerous. All the same, I wouldn't mess with it! The folks on one Japanese LN2 OCer's site are mighty cavalier with the liquid. Sock clad feet under the stuff as it's being poured from its insulated container. Not for me, thanks.
Old 14th November, 2002, 11:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

i don't normally pay attnention to flash overclocks myself because they aren't long term and stable. just my opinion
Old 15th November, 2002, 04:41 AM

I've thought about the Prometia as well. Either that or a Vapo PE. It's a pity that it would be a manufacturing nightmare to make one with a cpu and video card cooling head in a single unit. I've also seen a set up with dual prometia cooling. Basically two cooling unit's stacked one on the other with a case on top of it all.
Chip-con are selling the units without the case as well now. That's the opton I would be considering. Using your own choice of case. You simply cut out a hole in the bottom for the cooling tube and evaporator and bolt the case to the Promy unit.

Of course there would be no way that one could get the results of LN2, vapor phase change won't get you cold enough. Although for a stable overclock capable of running 24/7 at speeds well in excess of water or air. They can't be beat.

Whether LN2 is dangerous or not. It still would be a substance that you would treat with respect. We wouldn't really want to find out first hand just what a cup full would do to a sock covered foot now would we........

Last edited by LORD; 15th November, 2002 at 04:49 AM.
Old 15th November, 2002, 12:19 PM

extreme cold injuries such as that are similar to burn injuries i believe. the flesh wouldn't be frozen for long enough to cause deep frostbite, but would be more comparable to pouring hot cooking oil over yourself. highly unpleasant
Epox 8K5A3+ | XP1700+ AROIA-Y @1851MHz (10x185) | Thermalright SLK-800 + SmartFan II | 512MB Samsung PC2700 CAS2 3-6-3 1T | PNY GeForce 4 Ti4600 @333/742 | Western Digital 120GB Special Edition | 431W Enermax PSU | CoolerMaster ATC-201 case | Iiyama 21" VisionMaster Pro | Win2k sp2

13,659 3DMarks
Old 15th November, 2002, 03:02 PM

Cool the Prometeia deivec

they just got the first shipment, it was held up in customs.

they are shipping today, i expect i will be getting the unit sometime early next week. that is a big yahoo!!!!

it may not be LN2, but -40*c on the cpu has my brain in a preoverclocking frenzy.

hell, the system holds the boot up until the cpu reaches a minimum of -33*c.

going to house the unit in acrylic, the upper main case in acrylic also, got this guy making the stuff for me.

http://www.clear-viewtech.com/fullv1.html

he is customizing the case, three panels to be red acrylic, the rest clear, cut-outs for dual PS's, extended the depth of the box to accommodate the length of the lower chiller unit, side 120mm, top 92mm blowhole, 80mm on backside to blow on the back of the motherboard's closed cell foam area around the CPU area...................... well, there are just too many changes to list.

should have the systeem together by the end of the month.

then the games can begin. i fully expect to be running 2.6 and beyond with a cherry chip and this cooling monster, gonna see what it does to my MP2000+ first.

baldy

Last edited by bldegle2; 15th November, 2002 at 03:06 PM.