AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th November, 2002, 04:21 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Tbred A & B's

I just started thinking... which could be dangerous.

Over at overclockers, Ed mentioned a difference between A's and B's were the default voltage. However, I'm not sure this would be conclusive. Are the data sheets conclusive?

I want to believe that AMD might have different voltages for different speeds, rather than by CPU revision only.

What does everyone think?

IMHO, these low speed Tbreds are gonna be awesome overclockers. If we can identify TbredB's it's going to be insane.
Old 15th November, 2002, 05:25 PM
Banned

I'm not so sure. The A's may oc well or they may just be 2200's that didn't make the grade.
Old 17th November, 2002, 08:20 AM

its getting really confusing ill admit.
one way is just to wait a while since amd is dumping all the revA cores out.

1.65v on 2400 and up is a tbredB code K
1.65v on 2200 and down is a tbredA code K
1.6v on 2200 and down is a tbredB code U

this is my best understanding and now im maken myself confused.its just a summery of what ed stated tho.
Old 17th November, 2002, 08:08 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

My understanding from bits and pieces I read hear and there, is that AMD is using the Tbred A revision for the slower grades as the yeilds are higher with that stepping and process, or in other words a higher percentage of the silicon is functional. They are using the B revison for the faster chips as while the yeilds are lower with that stepping and process, the silicon that is functional runs quicker and cooler than with the A revision. If this is true, then we will likely never see low speed grades of the B revision, as it costs more to produce and really isn't needed. It's probably quite likely that Barton will bridge the gap between the A and B Tbreds, it is likely being tweaked to offer both higher clock speeds(despite not being a SOI part as was wrongfully speculated by many earlier) and good yeilds, plus it will be made on 12" waffers rather than 8" waffers which means lower raw material costs and less waste.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 17th November, 2002 at 08:12 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th November, 2002, 06:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to skidmata

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
My understanding from bits and pieces I read hear and there, is that AMD is using the Tbred A revision for the slower grades as the yeilds are higher with that stepping and process, or in other words a higher percentage of the silicon is functional. They are using the B revison for the faster chips as while the yeilds are lower with that stepping and process, the silicon that is functional runs quicker and cooler than with the A revision. If this is true, then we will likely never see low speed grades of the B revision, as it costs more to produce and really isn't needed. It's probably quite likely that Barton will bridge the gap between the A and B Tbreds, it is likely being tweaked to offer both higher clock speeds(despite not being a SOI part as was wrongfully speculated by many earlier) and good yeilds, plus it will be made on 12" waffers rather than 8" waffers which means lower raw material costs and less waste.
It costs a lot of money to keep two different revisions in production too. Generally, the yields improve as the new chip's process gets tweaked and then the new chip is introduced into the lower segments. However, its a fair question as to whether this will happen before Barton comes in.