AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th November, 2002, 09:00 PM

Arrrrr unlocking problem

Tried unlocking my CPU tonight. Well first went to my friend's and unlock his. It worked but for some reason some of the multipliers wouldn't work. Or some multi would work sometimes but not all the time.

Anyway came back to my place and tried unlocking my cpu. It was pretty late (~11) so we were pretty tired. Kept messing up the bridges, etc. It took a while. When we thought we successfully unlock this bad boy we put the cpu in and tried to boot up.

Nothing. O_o LED on my 8k5a2+ didn't light up.

This happened before. Fixed it but unplugging everything. Tried that...didn't work. We then erase the conductive paint on the bridges using rubbing alcohol, put the cpu in. Still nothing.

Now it's like 2 in the morning and I was pretty damn tired. First I took the ram off, LED is blank. I then took out the video card, still nothing. Finally I took off the cpu and tried booting it up

Still nothing. So I figure it must be the CPU itself. Cleaned the cpu for a while, put it in, and finally got the LED back.

For some reason though, it was stuck on C1. Damn! So I played around a bit, changing ram, clear cmos. Didn't work. The LED would come on and off....

Finally I had enough, ready to pack up and go to sleep. On the last try I hit the reset button and everything worked.

I have no clue why this happened. What do you guys think? Could it be the cpu? Or motherboard? It's very wierd.

Should I try unlocking again? Or don't bother?

One more thing, the multi was set at auto, could this be a problem?
Old 17th November, 2002, 10:59 PM

oh...

Tawcan do u remember me? lol.. me thought u were at amdmb forum...

sorry about the problems you're having..
but I'd say keep trying.. take some break and try later or some other day.
ATi X1950XTX 512 CrossFire
Triple WD Raptor 10k HDDs@ raid 0
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PHD7UY
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PH9UK
BetterCable SilverSerpent SVGA & DVI-D
Sony BWU-100A Blu-Ray PC Drive

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
conroe - superPi - 14 sec.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th November, 2002, 11:06 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

An unlock can look good, but not be contacting the points of the bridges, happens a lot. Best bet is to lightly sand the area around the L1 bridges lightly with fine sandpaper, clean and then try connecting again. Mask each contact before doing one, make sure you use a needle or something to apply ink and poke at the contacts to make sure they are contacted, wait for the ink/defogger goop to go into like a gel state, and remove your masking. Wait for it to totally dry and move onto the next.

that usually works for me.

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th November, 2002, 05:57 AM
Banned

Join the club.

PITA

Pain in the ass