AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd November, 2002, 04:59 PM

Talking nforce 2

i going to order a nforce 2 today but i'm still don't know if a should get the ASUS A7V8X or the EPOX 8RDA+
Old 23rd November, 2002, 05:43 PM

I’m in the same shoes as you.

I don’t know if I shall shoes A7N8X with all the bells and whistles or 8RDA+that seems to be a killer for overclocking.

Can’t there be a way to merge these two boards and get all the sweetness?

At the moment I am leaning more towards A7N8X since it has two NIC’s
Old 23rd November, 2002, 05:51 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Most likely, EPoX will release a loaded version of the board. They'll probably name it something like the 8RDA2+ or something...

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd November, 2002, 05:55 PM
Banned

Can somebody please explain the controversy about the pci lock?

I've heard that the asus is pci locked and the epox isn't.
Old 23rd November, 2002, 05:57 PM

i'm starting to lean to the A7N8X because of its pci lock but i'm still lost because EPOX has the better VCORE
maybe i should just wait for abits broad
Old 23rd November, 2002, 06:17 PM
AOA Staff

As far as I know, no one has said that there is no PCI lock. I said by mistake once and I took it back, but no one else has said it. Since the mobo isn't available yet, there's no one to really comment yet. A lot of it is rumor and speculation and I got caught up in that but I now realize that no one who has had access to the board has commented one way or the other. In the absence of denial and knowing EPoX's reputation for making OC friendly boards, I'm of the mind that it is a distinct possibility.

AOA Team fah

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd November, 2002, 06:26 PM

i was i will probably have to get the epox since thats the only nforce2 broad that i know that has the 4 holes for my maze 3
Old 23rd November, 2002, 09:42 PM

Maybe because the PCI slots are contrleed by the MCP and not the SPP, that is why the PCI clock cannot be adjusted, or can it ?
I don't know, but it's either adjustable or not(if not, it could very well be at 33MHz all the time, even when overclocking, or it could be controlled by a divier, so far no one seems to know or tell).
Either way, the EPoX looks like a better chioce for overclockers, but I am waiting for the 8RDA2+.
Old 23rd November, 2002, 09:44 PM

if there is a divsor than wouldn't the agp speed be divied by 2 for the pci speed
Old 23rd November, 2002, 10:35 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by water_cooler20
if there is a divsor than wouldn't the agp speed be divied by 2 for the pci speed
It doesn't necessarily work like that. The AGP bus is controlled by the northbridge (SPP). The PCI bus is controlled by the southbridge (MCP). What we're used to though, is an external clock generator on Via chipsets. Since both the northbridge and the southbridge of Via chipsets were dependant on a single clock, it just naturally followed that the PCI bus speed was a ratio of the AGP bus. With nforce2, we have something new for AMD. It appears that the nForce does not use any external clocks and that both the SPP and the MCP have their own clocks built in. I think I'm getting that last part correct, but I'm not 100% sure. This obviously has the benefit of being able to run the AGP bus and PCI bus asynchronously.

AOA Team fah

Old 23rd November, 2002, 10:36 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexandrus
Maybe because the PCI slots are contrleed by the MCP and not the SPP, that is why the PCI clock cannot be adjusted, or can it ?
I don't know, but it's either adjustable or not(if not, it could very well be at 33MHz all the time, even when overclocking, or it could be controlled by a divier, so far no one seems to know or tell).
Either way, the EPoX looks like a better chioce for overclockers, but I am waiting for the 8RDA2+.
I think you may be onto something Alexandrus. It may very well be that the PCI bus is not overclockable at all, no matter what you do the AGP or FSB speeds. I'm kind of curious myself.

AOA Team fah

Old 24th November, 2002, 02:13 AM

Yep, nForce2 has an internal clock generator in the SPP and IGP(the two northbridges), but I do not know if the MCP actually has internal clock generator or it simply runs the PCI based on a freq. from an external clock generator. In the first case, it could very well be that the PCI is always independat of the FSB. In the second case, it depends on what is the external clock generator dependat on(if anything).
Because, after all, the FSB only affects the CPU, NB and RAM, so if the MCP(southbridge) is not ran on a clock generated for the FSB, then it could very well be that the PCI is locked at 33MHz no matter what.

Anyway, I think there are no dividers at all, therefore the PCI is independant of the FSB, because the as I understand, Crush 18(nForce2) is not very different form a chipset that was designed to work with the Athlon 64(SledgeHammer) Crush K8, which only needs a SB and an AGP controller, since it has the memory controller integrated in the CPU.

Last edited by Alexandrus; 28th November, 2002 at 07:53 PM.
Old 24th November, 2002, 04:02 AM
Banned

hmmm...

Not that I understand all of this but, no dividers necessary? Can run a Hammer?
Old 24th November, 2002, 04:28 AM

Nforce2 is a socket A mainboard only, for hammer/Athlon 64 we have some even more exciting stuff for you all

Quote:
if you know what Crush K8 is
:P the question is does alexandrus ? :P

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 24th November, 2002, 05:14 AM
Banned

Yea, I think there might be a whole lotta speculatin' goin on...

Some folks call it BS.

Some know more than others.

I aint sure which is which.
Old 28th November, 2002, 07:54 PM

Holst, maybe I do not know what Crush K8 is, but I understand it is very similar to the nForce2. Or at least that is what I was lead to beleive by some people that should know more than I do.
I admit, my choice of words was not very good.

Point is, if I those guys are right, then there are not that many differences between Crush 18(nForce2) and Crush K8 except the NB, which doesn't have a memory controller anymore and it was reduced to a plain AGP controller.

Anyway, of course it's all speculation, but maybe it's not all false, who knows ? I bet Holst and ET do but then again, they are bound by an NDA to keep quiet.
Old 3rd December, 2002, 12:55 AM

Quote:
I'm waiting for the 8RDA2+ too so I can keep my RAID setup. Any hints as to whether I'll be able to put this on my Christmas list?:nervous:

View my rig!
Old 3rd December, 2002, 05:58 PM

do what I did and buy a raid card, then you never need worry about buying an overspecced mobo again

Also means you never need worry what version of raid is on the mobo giving you far more freedom...

I bought a silicon image pci udma133 raid card from maplins for 40 odd quid...

Benches very nice in raid 0
Old 3rd December, 2002, 08:48 PM

I am not sure if the 8RDA2+ will have IDE RAID, so don't get your hopes up.
Old 5th December, 2002, 02:24 PM

Well well well, it seems I was right, the PCI o the nForce2 is alwasy locked at 33.33MHz. Yupeeee!!!