AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th November, 2002, 05:30 PM

AMD is no longer going to compete with INTEL

AMD is no longer going to compete with INTEL? What does this mean? No more new microprocessor? Will the technology slowdown? How will this effect prices?

http://www.forbes.com/newswire/2002/...rtr799607.html

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th November, 2002, 05:35 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

AMD's NEEDS PC based processors to survive. IMHO, they are trying to promote the concept of low cost processors (for non pc markets) to market the company to investors.
Old 24th November, 2002, 05:38 PM

It is an interesting notion, INTEL prices would sky rocket(as if they were there now), you be seeing new processors come out yearly instead of monthly, technology would slowdown...

I thought it was an interesting article, I have spoken to my local AMD Field Engineer, he loves to talk about their product and he is very excited about the upcoming technology...

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th November, 2002, 06:01 PM
Banned

I too am excited about the upcoming AMD chips. But, this makes me wonder what intel may have up their sleeve.
Old 24th November, 2002, 06:05 PM

Some have speculated that this is like the old Apple/IBM situation, where Apple decided not to compete anymore and find it's own market...

Old 24th November, 2002, 10:18 PM

I'll continue to buy AMD purely because I cant afford to buy intel, also AMD seem a much nicer company than intel
Old 24th November, 2002, 10:22 PM

AMD is great and firendly...I will always support them.

Old 24th November, 2002, 10:52 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

AMD has bet the farm on Athlon 64 and Opteron. AMD is working hand in hand with chipset manufacturers. They've been reluctant to design chipsets for their processors. This cost them millions of sales of the Slot A Athlon during its first year of production. VIA has become a much more capable outfit since the "great Slot A fiasco." As capable as Serverworks and Intel? Weyell... I hope that VIA and AMD working together produce silicon that sings.

AMD is a tiny company, it can't use resources it doesn't have. All the same, if rock solid Server mainboards don't appear simultaneously with the Opteron, it could sink the company.

If the mainboards and Opterons work well from the get-go, AMD's stock will soar. I think businesses that need x86 Servers are tired paying so much for Intel solutions. AFAIK, there is at least one working flavor of x86-64 Linux for Servers. 64-bit Unixes for big iron Servers might even be ported to x86-64 architecture. This is doubtful for Unix OS's that are proprietary to IBM, Sun or SGI machines. But stranger things have happened.

64-bit OS's, whether for IA-64 or x86-64 will be written by Redmond. MS has the power to put the brakes on one side or the other. PR had it that MS was enthused about Windows for x86-64. But that was almost a year ago...

If AMD provides better, or even on-par performance with Xeon SMP machines at notably less cost AMD will be fine in 2003. If not, I don't think that the Barton will keep the company afloat.

This is a golden opportunity for VIA, SiS and ALi to enter the Server market. May they do it well!
Old 29th November, 2002, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ronin1967
Some have speculated that this is like the old Apple/IBM situation, where Apple decided not to compete anymore and find it's own market...
Speaking of Apple, I heard a rumour that Apple may decide to put AMD chips in their Macs coming up.

That'd be really great for both companies, IMHO. Though it's probably just rumour.
Old 29th November, 2002, 05:23 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

You mean enough revenues come from AMD's processor business to consider them an Intel competitor? I thought they were just a flash memory maker now

Flash memory prices are expected to rise by as much as 20% next year do to increased demand(these estimates come from analyst groups independent of flash memory makers), that and cost cutting combined should keep AMD afloat, any increase in CPU revenues should manage make the firm profitable.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 29th November, 2002, 11:38 PM

well at least theres Cyrix.........hahahahaha
Old 4th December, 2002, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jet Black

Speaking of Apple, I heard a rumour that Apple may decide to put AMD chips in their Macs coming up.

That'd be really great for both companies, IMHO. Though it's probably just rumour.
I was under the impression that, at least early on, that AMD already OEM manufactured the processors for Apple. 'Course, that was a long time ago....