AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th November, 2002, 05:12 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Since T-Bred uses less power than AXP, does that mean less stringent PSUs are OK

Just like the title says. Typically, at full load, a T-bred at the same speed uses about 10W less than a Palomino. That's almost 20% since Palominos at around 1800Mhz uses a little over 60W. I was wondering if I can get away with using a cheesier PSU on a T-bred CPU than a Pally.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th November, 2002, 05:23 PM

From what I've read, no. Perhaps ET or Holst will come in later. I do know you are well aware of the 5v requirements of some boards.
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th November, 2002, 06:05 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Bob
From what I've read, no. Perhaps ET or Holst will come in later. I do know you are well aware of the 5v requirements of some boards.
Well, the thing is, I have a PSU that's dropping to the 4.50-4.60V range with an AXP 1600+ OCed to 1838Mhz. I would expect it to crash, but it's been rock stable at that speed since I built it. I was thinking maybe if I switch that PSU out I might get a better OC. Then use that PSU for a T-bred that's coming in. I'm hoping some either Holst or ET or some genius EE guy could comment.

AOA Team fah

Old 29th November, 2002, 06:06 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

While Tbreds consume less power, they draw more current; as such I would infer that a high quality PSU with exceptional current stability is still very much desirable.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 29th November, 2002, 06:09 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
While Tbreds consume less power, they draw more current; as such I would infer that a high quality PSU with exceptional current stability is still very much desirable.

Ahhhh! of course...what am I thinking. W=AxV.

I guess the switch probably won't do anything then...

AOA Team fah

Old 29th November, 2002, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mookydooky

Ahhhh! of course...what am I thinking. W=AxV.

I guess the switch probably won't do anything then...
Once again old man Ohm rears his ugly head!
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Old 1st December, 2002, 03:15 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
The onboard voltage regulator is actually a power converter rather than a voltage regulator, otherwise it'd be dissapating rather more power than the CPU! Hence, it draws less current from the PSU than the equivelant Palomino would do.

Remember that Power=Volts * Amps. If you proportionally decrease volts, and proportionally increase amps, then the power will remain the same. Hence, a 70W Palomino will draw the same current from the PSU as a 70W Tbred (assuming all is equal).

That means you still need a PSU that is just as good, as it'll see the same loading.

-----

Just for grins, if the voltage regulator was a linear regulator, rather than a switching converter, we can calculate the power lost.

I am assuming that we're running from the 5V line.

Take a Athlon, running at 1.7V, and consuming 50W of power. Remembering I=P/V, we have 50/1.7 amps flowing (29.4A).

Knowing that the voltage regulator is dropping the power down to 1.7V, means that the regulator is absorbing 3.3V itself. This is because a linear regulator effectively appears as a resistor.

Calculating the power lost in the regulator: We know how much voltage it's dropping, and how much current is passing. Now, we can use P=VI to calculate.

P=3.3*29.4 or 97W.

So, if we had a linear regulator powering an older athlon running at 1.7V, and consuming 50W of power, the regulator would be generating 97W of heat. In addition, the PSU would have to provide that 146W worth of power *JUST* for the CPU and it's regulator.

Now you can see why a switching converter is much preferable to a linear regulator! The switching converter literally converts, rather than just regulates.

AidanII