AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd December, 2002, 08:55 PM

VCool - 1.8 Beta (Public Build 10/10a) - New Release

Hi,

For those that want to cool their AMD XP or Duron CPU's.

Quote:
How it works
The Athlon (or Duron) enters a lower power state only when its system bus is disconnected. However the (VIA-)Northbridge will only disconnect the bus if its "Bus Disconnect Enable" bit is set and the CPU is in STPGNT state.
VCool allows you to enable this bit so your CPU can relax when there's nothing to do.

Setting this bit might not be enough on some systems as the idle loop provided with the OS will not put the CPU into the STPGNT state recognized by the Northbridge.
For those cases VCool includes an internal idle loop that forces the CPU into the STPGNT mode required by the Northbridge to initiate a bus disconnect.
Quote:
1.8 Beta (Public Build 10)
Please be sure to read the beta issues and please do provide feedback on the beta version.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's new in build 10a
10a - disabled Anti-Aliasing for the mini-window font as this would cause artifacts with a background color setting very different from the current background. Font is uglier now but somewhat more readable on problematic backgrounds.
If you prefer the anti-aliased version of VCool (i.e. you don't use transparent windows) use this build10 archive.

Added KT400 support - Note: VCool may not be able to read the CPU temperature correctly on all chipsets.

The driver now disables the cool bit and the idle loop on system shutdown.

Fixed the fan rpm display (mini windows) when fahrenheit is selected.

Added a tranparency option for the mini windows (NT/W2K/XP only).

The mini windows are now "off " per default.

Added a "save state" entry to the mini window menu.

By the by: Quite a few people asked what these mini windows are good for anyway - well I wouldn't want to do without them. I've placed (and locked) them at the top of my desktop and now I can keep an eye on the temps all the time (I have the task bar set to "auto hide" so I can't see the icon).
But since an image is worth a thousand words...
Install VCool v1.7 first

Code:
http://vcool.occludo.net/VCool_17.zip

Then unzip v1.8 Beta (Build10) to the install directory

Code:
http://vcool.occludo.net/VCool_18b10.zip
GeForce FX 5200
Western Digital ATA100 H/D's (8Mb Cache)

Last edited by daMANwithANSWER; 3rd December, 2002 at 08:21 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th December, 2002, 09:42 PM

Thumbs down

Hi,

No-one else using VCool, well that surprises me.
GeForce FX 5200
Western Digital ATA100 H/D's (8Mb Cache)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th December, 2002, 11:46 AM

I use cpuidle, cools about the same - my t-bred 2200+ dropped fromaround 53° to 39° (that's with an epox 8k3a).

You are lucky not to have flamed by rabid anti-software-cooling people...
Old 5th December, 2002, 01:05 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by daMANwithANSWER
Nope, I don't use the disconnect feature. I find it tends to cause my machine to lock up nice and solid.There's a slight performance hit associated with entering and leaving bus disconnect state.

Áedán
Old 7th December, 2002, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by daMANwithANSWER
it's only any use for reducing idle temps, meaning there's a much greater swing from idle to load temps. this is arguably as bad/worse for the cpu as constantly running at higher (idle) temps cos it causes thermal stress to the core. besides, i'm sure high idle temps are a problem for, ooh, no-one basically...

plus there's other issues to take into account such as PCI lockups causing soundloops etc, which some people experience.

[edit] half multipliers tend to casue big promlemos with the HALT command/disconnect - can lock machine totally as aedan says
Epox 8K5A3+ | XP1700+ AROIA-Y @1851MHz (10x185) | Thermalright SLK-800 + SmartFan II | 512MB Samsung PC2700 CAS2 3-6-3 1T | PNY GeForce 4 Ti4600 @333/742 | Western Digital 120GB Special Edition | 431W Enermax PSU | CoolerMaster ATC-201 case | Iiyama 21" VisionMaster Pro | Win2k sp2

13,659 3DMarks

Last edited by kowalski; 7th December, 2002 at 12:10 PM.
Old 7th December, 2002, 06:47 PM
Member/Contributer

How will this work with F@H 24/7?
Old 7th December, 2002, 11:36 PM

Send a message via ICQ to drow_elf Send a message via AIM to drow_elf

as i understand it it works only in the idle state...

the only place i see it helping is if you use air cooling and only need "bursts" of CPU and want the max mhz then the HSF would cool down during idle more than normal so that when you used a burst your cpu wouldnt get so hot as to become unstable

or if you wanted longer lifetime from your high voltage cpu that isnt running F@H 24/7 (but then whats the point?!?)