AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th December, 2002, 06:44 PM

Alexandrus, i am not doubting you but i am somewhat skeptical seeing how i am now getting curruption at 200FSB. do you KNOW that device works for a FACT? Can you take a pic of it?
Old 8th December, 2002, 07:49 PM

Sorry for the lack of pictures, but I have no digital camera(it's on the way, a few more days 'till I get it).
BTW, what corruption do you get at 200MHz FSB ? HDD corruption, AGP tearing or what ?
Old 8th December, 2002, 08:21 PM

Well I personally do not know what is going on, but My OS is on an ntfs partition, all other partitions are fat32.
When I push it to far and it won't boot, or reboots on it's own, I get chkdsk wanting to check my fat32 drives ( some proggies running from other drives ), I've actually let it run and says nothing is wrong. I've looked at my watchdog file log, and it seems everytime I've had a problem it was with my Radeon 8500 driver file getting stuck in an infinitie loop ( a few times my puter just locked up hard and had to reset), this has happened b4 I even started working it hard just on desktop!!!! I do get a hot nb if I dont put a fan blowing directly on it.
I have never even changed my agp speed.
Something funky does happen here, and I'm sure we'll figure it out. Is the so called "Lock" only applicable up to a certain fsb, or are my problems to be attributed to memory errors? I dont know what the answer is at this time, I do have XMS3500c2 ( 1 stick-256), and this has happened a few times at 2-2-4-2,2-2-5-2.
More work to be done here I'm afraid.........
I do have an Antec TP 480 , it is new, no fans connected to headers, have bumped Vdimm + CoreV up.
Old 8th December, 2002, 08:35 PM

Alexandrus, you're post is meaningless without proof. I would REALLY like to see some pictures of this homeade PCI frequency measuring device.
Old 8th December, 2002, 10:20 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexandrus
Áedán, I didn't use the PC Geiger(kinda expensive for me), a friend of mine that is an electronics engineer designed and built the card at his work place. It has a PCI interface(of course) and four digital LEDs on it just like the ones used for EPoX's P80P POST diagnosting used on most EPoX boards.
I'd agree that the PC Geiger is rather expensive for what it does, especially if all you want to do is measure the clock speed! Whilst it's not too difficult to build a PCI board that will measure the clock frequency, most people here do not have the skill to make one, hence the suggestion of the PC Geiger!

A question for you or your friend:
Does the PCI interface enable the clock signal on the PCI slot if no card responds to the PCI init? I'm interested in building one, but I've not done anything with PCI before.

Áedán
Old 8th December, 2002, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jstic
Alexandrus, you're post is meaningless without proof. I would REALLY like to see some pictures of this homeade PCI frequency measuring device.
What possible proof could a picture show? A PCI card with 4 seven segment displays on? How would you even know if it worked? I can knock up a PCI card with some seven segment cards on that'll show whatever I want it to show. How does that prove anything?

Such a card would be fairly easy to build. You could do it with a gated counter, where the clock line from the PCI bus is connected to a gate, which then feeds the counter. The gate is opened for a known period of time, and the counter counts pulses. At the end of the known period, the gate closes, and the counter is read.

With a bit of basic maths, it is then simple to convert the count into a frequency by using the following formula:

Frequency = Count*(1/Period)

The shorter the period, the quicker the frequency can be measured, but the less accurate the result is. This is fine for what you're asking for.

An alternative would be to have a calibrated 33MHz clock, and mix that with the PCI clock. The resultant beat frequency would be the difference between the the calibrated clock and the PCI clock. This has the advantage that it can measure very small differences between clocks.

Fancy building a card to do this?

Áedán
Old 8th December, 2002, 10:58 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jstic
And a picture would tell you what Jstic? That Alexandrus has something stuck into one of his PCI slots? I'm willing to accept that on faith.

I'm also willing to accept that Alexandrus has every reason to believe his friend knows what he is doing and has created competently.

All that remains for me is independent verification by other parties. Far from meaningless, it begins the process of discovery and verification.

If you want to believe that Alexandrus would deliberately impinge upon his excellent reputation to make a single point on a single issue, you may. I do not. But as with all things scientific, his finding will need to be verified and upheld by others.

Should others who take the trouble to actually try and duplicate his results, be unable to do so I will accept that Alexandrus acting in good faith, made a mistake and came to the wrong conclusion.

But at this point through not conclusive, his findings are far from meaningless, but rather, the begining of a process leading to a true understanding. But a picture can tell us no more than we know right now.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 8th December, 2002 at 11:58 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th December, 2002, 11:04 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Oh Sure Áedán, that's it, take advantage of the fact you know how to type and play the big shot by posting first!! I also must note that you took completely unfair advantage of the fact you actually know what your talking about! LOL

"I can see the need, but others must do the the work" Thanks Áedán for defining the task ahead!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 8th December, 2002 at 11:12 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th December, 2002, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel ~
Oh Sure Áedán, that's it, take advantage of the fact you know how to type and play the big shot by posting first!! ":O}
Yeah, and you're gonna do what about it?

I always found being able to type to be helpful. Perhaps I'll learn how to spell one of these days too? They're both helpful when you have to write a 43page report for a client.

Áedán
Old 8th December, 2002, 11:14 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I accept your opolgy and have amended my post!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 8th December, 2002, 11:17 PM

There's too much work for just one person to do. I find things to be much better when people work together towards a goal, and get there much faster. When they snipe at others, it always takes so much longer...

Áedán
Old 8th December, 2002, 11:33 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Need I add that it lessons the joy of the groups undertakings as well?

It's well to await proof, better to gather actual evidence and share findings and best to undertake these things in fellowship and good faith.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 8th December, 2002, 11:52 PM

the curruption i talk about is HDD curruption. now i have a warrenty on this western digital drive. i heard clunking in it a few weeks ago and this clunking caused me to have to reformat. i ordered a free replacement from them which should arrive sometime this week.
Old 9th December, 2002, 02:08 AM

You kids are pretty funny over here at AOA, whenever I need a good chuckle, I stop by. Still waiting on pictures of the homeade PCI frequency device.

Daniel, I take nothing I hear on an internet BBS to be factual unless I have proof. I DO have a PC Geiger as THIS website is mine. I am going to get a hold of the Epox 8RDA+ board sometime in the next two weeks and we will find out for sure.

And to answer the other guys question, if no PCI interupt is detected, the PCI slot will still show a frequency only if "autodetect PCI/DIMM clock" is disabled in BIOS. If"auto detectPCI/DIMM" clock is enabled in BIOS, no PCI frequency measuring device will work without an interupt pin. You have to know how to modify the BIOS to disable this feature for any device to be able to measure PCI frequency, if it is not selectable in BIOS options.

I'll be back.
Old 9th December, 2002, 02:33 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

We can hardly wait...sigh...
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 9th December, 2002, 04:49 PM

Well, I'll try to borrow a digital camera from a friend just to satisfy some people, but I can make no guarantees, it's a 1000$ camera and I am not sure if he'll let me have it for a day
Old 9th December, 2002, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexandrus
Well, I'll try to borrow a digital camera from a friend just to satisfy some people, but I can make no guarantees, it's a 1000$ camera and I am not sure if he'll let me have it for a day
Some components and a circuit diagram would be nicer

Id be interested (as im sure would aidan) in your homemade card, sounds like a cool project.

Id like to make one myself but I wouldnt be able to post the results :P (I have oscilloscope infront of me anyway)

Those PC geiger cards dont seem to be too expensive, im sure that most big review sites (pokes Alexandrus in the arm) can affords to buy one (or even blag a review one :P )

hehe

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 9th December, 2002, 10:29 PM

It seems that its confirmed.

From Xtreme Systems.

Hello Xxxxxxx, Xxxxxx,
PCI is fixed in 33Mhz and AGP is set at 66Mhz as default value (PCI:AGP=1:2). And AGP can be also set at 50, 60~100Mhz. I hope I answered your question.
Best regards,
Victoria Chin
Old 10th December, 2002, 01:49 PM

OK, I'll ask my friend to give me the diagram of the card in PSpice or whatever he's using(Matlab, LabView, whatever).
I'll post back here soon, I hope with the diagrams.
Old 10th December, 2002, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by emericana
the curruption i talk about is HDD curruption. now i have a warrenty on this western digital drive. i heard clunking in it a few weeks ago and this clunking caused me to have to reformat. i ordered a free replacement from them which should arrive sometime this week.
Don't worry about that, WD drives are known for doing that kind of stuff. Not pleasant to know, but.....
Next time get a Maxtor DaimondMax Plus 9