AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th December, 2002, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Áedán
I'd agree that the PC Geiger is rather expensive for what it does, especially if all you want to do is measure the clock speed! Whilst it's not too difficult to build a PCI board that will measure the clock frequency, most people here do not have the skill to make one, hence the suggestion of the PC Geiger!

A question for you or your friend:
Does the PCI interface enable the clock signal on the PCI slot if no card responds to the PCI init? I'm interested in building one, but I've not done anything with PCI before.

Áedán
Yep, I aksed my friend(he is sorta my teatcher at the university, but he's only 4 years older) and he told me that he indeed used a chip that responds to the PCI init signal.
He also said that a cheaper and easier way to build a similar card would be to use an old PCI LAN card, or video card or sound card, pretty much any plus'n'play PCI card and attach a multimeter to certain pins on the card. But that would not look very preffesional and you'd have to have the schematics for the PCI card you want to use so you'll know where to attach the multimeter.

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel ~
And a picture would tell you what Jstic? That Alexandrus has something stuck into one of his PCI slots? I'm willing to accept that on faith.

I'm also willing to accept that Alexandrus has every reason to believe his friend knows what he is doing and has created competently.

All that remains for me is independent verification by other parties. Far from meaningless, it begins the process of discovery and verification.

If you want to believe that Alexandrus would deliberately impinge upon his excellent reputation to make a single point on a single issue, you may. I do not. But as with all things scientific, his finding will need to be verified and upheld by others.

Should others who take the trouble to actually try and duplicate his results, be unable to do so I will accept that Alexandrus acting in good faith, made a mistake and came to the wrong conclusion.

But at this point through not conclusive, his findings are far from meaningless, but rather, the begining of a process leading to a true understanding. But a picture can tell us no more than we know right now.
What you do not know Daniel is that I am in fact an under-cover EPoX marketing guy and I try my best to promote EPoX products, with fair or unfair methods
Just kidding.

BTW, sorry to say but the 8RDA+ just went back to the shop it came from. I was playing with it while a couple of my friends at a local magazine were testing it for a review, but they had to return it.
So that means no pics , but I'll try to get you that diagram.
Old 10th December, 2002, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Holst

Some components and a circuit diagram would be nicer

Id be interested (as im sure would aidan) in your homemade card, sounds like a cool project.

Id like to make one myself but I wouldnt be able to post the results :P (I have oscilloscope infront of me anyway)

Those PC geiger cards dont seem to be too expensive, im sure that most big review sites (pokes Alexandrus in the arm) can affords to buy one (or even blag a review one :P )

hehe
Well, I would buy it but my work at MKT is just a hobyy, I am not getting payed. Plus, I don't have a credit card and I live in Eastern Europe, although the site is based in USA. That really makes purchasing a PC Geiger nearly impossible for me.

And untill we move to a new host, I won't try to get any new stuff for review because I would really get crowded, I already have about 3 reviews pending
Old 10th December, 2002, 02:15 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexandrus

What you do not know Daniel is that I am in fact an under-cover EPoX marketing guy and I try my best to promote EPoX products, with fair or unfair methods
Just kidding.
Like there's not enough paranoia in this topic already! LOL
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th December, 2002, 06:00 PM

LOL indeed.