AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th December, 2002, 06:09 AM

Is the PCI Bus locked at 33mhz on the EP-8RDA+?

I hope someone can provide me with this info. Thanks
Old 5th December, 2002, 06:12 AM

UH OH.................... not again.A guy named Caper did some sandra benches today. The scores didn't change from 133fsb to 200 fsb ( HD scores- which tells me that it is, you get higher benches with increased fsb).
Old 5th December, 2002, 06:36 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

I've moved the post to "AMD Motherboards and CPU" Where this topic can be freely discussed.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th December, 2002, 08:53 AM

Unhappy WOW!!!

Sorry new fellows,

I had no idea that people were getting banned for asking about the thing.

I won't ask anymore. I will however have to depend on someone providing a link with PC Geiger test results before I can get this board with my poor man's budget.

Thanks for the replies though. I do have another question that I will ask in a new hopefully taboo-free subject.
Old 5th December, 2002, 09:05 AM

well... I got this board... and... I wouldnt get this board without a pci lock... so.... go figure
Old 5th December, 2002, 09:16 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

In THIS Topic every thing is fair game. No one gets booted for simply asking a question ANYWHERE in our forums. Calling names flaming our friends and violating our rules is another matter. Those who were ban all one of them, twice, went out of his way to pick a fight, which is not the brightest thing to do if "I" have all the power...Which I do.

Act like a gentlemen, treat others kindly and don't make a disagreeable ass of yourself about rules that were here when you arrived and a new guy will have no problem getting along. He who is now absent knew this.

For whatever reason I can only surmise that he wanted to be ban.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th December, 2002, 11:48 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Re: WOW!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by agnishvatta
I had no idea that people were getting banned for asking about the thing.
The EPoX topic is more sensitive, as the EPoX guys have to be careful about what they say. The AMD topic (Here!) doesn't have the same issues.

Someone got banned because they were trying repeatedly to force the EPoX guys to reveal information they were not in a position to reveal. That, and they were being downright rude about it, and refused to back down.

The consensus of opinion is that the board has seperate PCI bus that doesn't depend on the FSB. Big thumbs up to nVidia for doing it right!

Áedán
Old 5th December, 2002, 01:39 PM

YES there is a pci lock. How do i know? because i would not be able to boot into windows at over 195fsb without curruption after 3 hours and now i am at 200fsb and loving it. i have a WD hardrive and it is very sensative to fsb increasements and on my KT333 board the highest i could run safe was 190fsb.

another way of proving it is that on the a7n8x someone hooked up a pci geiger which phisically tests the frequency of the pci cards and at 190fsb it was locked at 33.33mhz.

also for me in sandra regardless of the fsb the harddrive benchmarks do not increase they stay almost exactly the same (the program is always accurate so they increase and decrease only a little). if the pci bus was not locked and was at 40pci at 200fsb rather than 33pci, my hardrive scores would be a lot higher than they are now.
Old 5th December, 2002, 02:09 PM

Just as I suspected, the MCP-T runs the PCI independant of the FSB and AGP.
Old 5th December, 2002, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexandrus
Just as I suspected, the MCP-T runs the PCI independant of the FSB and AGP.

What makes you so sure about it? In fact Anandtech had asked the EPOX fellows and there was no reply yet. So far only Asus had made an affirmative reply and big names such as MSI , Chaintech and Leadtek stated that they do not have this PCI lock. So it may be either way for EPOX.

I am hoping that EPOX will make some comment on this functionality in particular sooner than later. Hopefually earlier than the news of KT400A is released.

I had a look at this board and it is so appealing. So wanting to take it home right then and there.
Old 5th December, 2002, 09:10 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by roni123

......I am hoping that EPOX will make some comment on this functionality in particular sooner than later. ....
You never know. But if an answer does come from Epox, it will be from their corporate marketing arm.... The people running Epox will not allow their front line technicians to say anything.

Our ET guys here will not be allowed to comment AT ALL, if/when/until Epox (corporate) decides to release information.
Old 5th December, 2002, 09:25 PM

That is understood, I am hoping that the representation is from the EPOX corporation, so that they are official.

By the way, what do u think about the ASUS mb? At the momnet I narrow down to this and the EPOX. The ASUS mb simply have too many features than I need and the price is a bit steep too.

EPOX is more of a logical choice for me, but they kept so tight lip about this NDA and starting to make people wonder if they have somthing to hide.
Old 5th December, 2002, 09:46 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by roni123

What makes you so sure about it? In fact Anandtech had asked the EPOX fellows and there was no reply yet. So far only Asus had made an affirmative reply and big names such as MSI , Chaintech and Leadtek stated that they do not have this PCI lock. So it may be either way for EPOX.

I am hoping that EPOX will make some comment on this functionality in particular sooner than later. Hopefually earlier than the news of KT400A is released.

I had a look at this board and it is so appealing. So wanting to take it home right then and there.
Personally (and as you guys know I'm a BIG EPoX fan) I would take my que on this from YOUR experences way before I went with a review site or a corp announcement. (SteveI is right about where it must come from.)

I'm very happy EPoX took the gold home. But I would no more buy a board on the bases a review than I would bet on a 3 legged horse in a horse race. I just like to see my friends receive the recognition I feel they deserve":O}

So far from the overclocks I've seen (I can run my 8K5a2+ at 214, 210 stable) I don't know weather it does or not. But is that all that important if 211 is being hit by some already?

I haven't seen Asus make statement one way or the other, anyone got a link to where they do?

My best guess, and it is a guess is that EPoX has implemented the PCI lock. But Sooner or later someone here, who I know and trust, will test this, then several others will confirm his findings, then I'll say "yes, it is implemented" when asked. Just so long as it's here and NOT in the EPoX topic.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 5th December, 2002 at 09:48 PM.
Old 6th December, 2002, 02:01 PM

First of all, I am now 99.9% sure that the 8RDA+ has PCI lock always.
There are no dividers at all on this board, the SPP seems to generate independant clocks for the AGP and FSB, and the MCP, that controlls the PCI, seems to keep the PCI locked at 33.33MHz all the time.
Just today I got my hands on a PCI card that shows the clock of the PCI slot and it showed 33MHz no matter if the FSB was 133MHz, 150MHz or 211MHz.
Old 6th December, 2002, 02:11 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

For those who might be interested in doing this for themselves, can you tell us a bit about this PCI card Alexandrus?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 6th December, 2002, 05:14 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

I suspect that Alexandrus is talking about the RD2 PC Geiger card. More info on the card is available over at http://www.ioss.com.tw/web/English/RD2PCGeiger.html

Áedán
Old 6th December, 2002, 07:42 PM

I took 2 screenshots of wpcredit. 1 @ 166fsb, and 1 @200 fsb. 1 of the registers changed( E0 )was 96 @166 and was 86 @200 ( and also 185fsb ). I'm wondering if that is relaxed timings, or something to do with the infamous "LOCK" ( of course it may be neither) .
Any ideas here guys?
Old 7th December, 2002, 02:11 AM

Áedán, I didn't use the PC Geiger(kinda expensive for me), a friend of mine that is an electronics engineer designed and built the card at his work place. It has a PCI interface(of course) and four digital LEDs on it just like the ones used for EPoX's P80P POST diagnosting used on most EPoX boards.
The card only shows the input frequency, that's all, and it work well too, I tested on my 4G4A+ and set the FSB to 150 and AGP/PCI to 75/37.5 respectively and the CPI card showed the correct frequency for the PCI.
Old 8th December, 2002, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by emericana
YES there is a pci lock. How do i know? because i would not be able to boot into windows at over 195fsb without curruption after 3 hours and now i am at 200fsb and loving it. i have a WD hardrive and it is very sensative to fsb increasements and on my KT333 board the highest i could run safe was 190fsb.

another way of proving it is that on the a7n8x someone hooked up a pci geiger which phisically tests the frequency of the pci cards and at 190fsb it was locked at 33.33mhz.

also for me in sandra regardless of the fsb the harddrive benchmarks do not increase they stay almost exactly the same (the program is always accurate so they increase and decrease only a little). if the pci bus was not locked and was at 40pci at 200fsb rather than 33pci, my hardrive scores would be a lot higher than they are now.
I am viewing this forum @ 215fsbx8 on epox8k3a+ with wd60mb? am I just lucky?
2xhitachi 250gb -raid 0
win vista business
Old 8th December, 2002, 06:29 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I think you are, but just a bit lucky, also skillful, well done! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur