AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th December, 2002, 02:16 AM

Question t-bred question

I know that this is a very easily answered question, so I'm sorry for wasting your time but...

I'm pretty sure that a t-bred B can not be purchased under the speed of 2400+(please correct me if I am wrong). Since the new pimpy Epox MB that I have will unlock(if so desired) a t-bred A or B and I want to go the economical route and get a t-bred A, will there be any reason to get a 1800+ or 1900+ over a 1700+?
Thanks in advance.
Old 6th December, 2002, 04:31 AM

I thought AMD is already selling T-Bred rev B from AMD 1800 ~ AMD 2700. New 1800 ~ 2200 that is rev b
Old 6th December, 2002, 04:47 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Most Tbreds under 2400+ are A's. I haven't heard definitively of anyone getting a low end B.... but anything's possible.

In theory, the higher speed might overclock a bit more, but I doubt it. It comes down to a bit of luck. In terms of bang for the buck, the crown belongs to the Tbred A 1700+. If you're in the USA, newegg has them for $58. Every day, I fight with the demons to NOT order it. (For months now, I've been waiting to get a DVD burner... but haven't pulled the trigger... Instead I've been spending 50 here 60 there, for a bunch of stuff.)
Old 7th December, 2002, 05:16 AM

I have the new Nforce2 Epox board coming if I get a 1700 tbred will it unlock it??
Old 7th December, 2002, 05:22 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Quote:
Originally posted by franlofter
I have the new Nforce2 Epox board coming if I get a 1700 tbred will it unlock it??
It will unlock 12.5 and under.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th December, 2002, 04:33 PM

thx

Thanks for the information guys. I have read of people pushing a 1800+ to around 2.1~2.2 but not sure if I believe all of the hype. Is the 1700+ any different than the 1800+ other than the clock multiplier? Does amd test the chips before they decide what to set the clock at? Thanks again.

ed
Old 7th December, 2002, 06:12 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Re: thx

Quote:
Originally posted by ebritt66
Thanks for the information guys. I have read of people pushing a 1800+ to around 2.1~2.2 but not sure if I believe all of the hype. Is the 1700+ any different than the 1800+ other than the clock multiplier? Does amd test the chips before they decide what to set the clock at? Thanks again.

ed
Most likely, there's nothing different between the 1800+ and the 1700+ except the default multiplier. I think if you want to get to the 2.1-2.2Ghz, you will need water cooling at the very least. Maybe even a Prommy.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th December, 2002, 06:35 AM

All Athlon XP Thoroughbreds are now "B"s.

Quote:
As you may remember from our Athlon XP 2600 Review, there are two versions of AMD Athlon XP processors manufactured using 0.13 micron technology: revision A0 and B0. The latter can work at higher core-clock speeds as well as FSB frequencies, while the former is not so great in terms of speed. Originally AMD wanted all its microprocessors with 2000+ and higher performance ratings to be based on the B0 stepping, while the lower-speed CPUs would have gone from the market. But after all the company revised its strategy and decided that they still need to sell the CPUs below 2000+ mark. In order to improve manufacturability and increase the speed bin distribution, AMD decided to start manufacturing Athlon XP 1800+ and 1700+ CPUs using B0 stepping cores.

The first samples of the newcomers appeared yesterday and the production shipment date is currently set at 11th of December. Here is the table that will help you to distinguish between the Athlon XP 1700+ and 1800+ with older core and with newer one.

AMD Athlon XP 1700+, 1800+ Product Transition to Advanced B0 Core Stepping
Processor Brand Name Old Part Marking New Part Marking
Athlon XP 1700+ AMD AXDA1700DLT3C AMD AXDA1700DUT3C

Athlon XP 1800+ AMD AXDA1800DLT3C AMD AXDA1800DUT3C

AMD also issued the official list of changes:

1. CPU ID change from 680 to 681;
2. Die size increase from 80sq. mm to 84sq.mm;
3. Added new clock multipliers 23.0X and 24.0X;
4. Removed clock multiplier 22.5X;
5. Implemented speed path improvements;
6. Processor core voltage changed from 1.50V to 1.60V (seems to be an effort to improve the yield);
7. Added FSB_Sense pins to the processor package;
Even though the above date projections are based on the most current product development status information at the time this ACN was issued, they may change due to unforeseen circumstances. For the latest schedule and any other information, please contact your local AMD sales office or your local distributor. Please consult your motherboard vendor for latest BIOS version and to verify inclusion of new CPU ID.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/story.html?id=1039198840
Old 12th December, 2002, 05:18 AM

Well I'll be dipped.

Pops.

Old 12th December, 2002, 05:32 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by BTank
[B]All Athlon XP Thoroughbreds are now "B"s.
I have to disagree. There are at least primarily A's already in the channels... I am hopeful we will start seeing low end B's soon. But For the next month or so at the very least, there will be a lot of A's left.... Also, I haven't seen an indication that A's will no longer be produced, only that B's WILL.

My advice for the next few months at least is check carefully... there are no guarantees you will get a B.