AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th December, 2002, 12:26 AM

Epox 8RDA+ Is The nForce2 Keeper!

Received an Epox 8RDA+ today, and while it is early, I have already determined it is a better overclocker than the Asus. It has 3-phase power instead of Asus' 2-phase and also has the CPU mounting holes - which Asus also has but Abit doesn't. I have already been to 190 stable at default 12.5 multiplier with my 2600+/333 which gives me 2.376Ghz or something like 3100+ PF. This was with only a 0.25V boost from default 1.65V. It boots fine at DEFAULT 1.65V, but Sandra is not 100% stable without a tiny voltage boost. At 185 to 186 the Epox is Rock Solid at DEFAULT voltage of 1.65V and completes 3Dmark2001SE with my 9700 PRO with no problems at all.

By comparison, my Asus topped out at 180 FSB at default multiplier. I thought it was the 2600+ topping out, but it turns out the holdback was the Asus board.

The LOWER multipliers work fine on the Epox - just like the Asus, and I was able to easily run 11.5 x 200 at more agressive timings and lower voltage than the Asus. I am running the latest Epox Beta 3 BIOS which was released on 12/03.

I am only just beginning to test, but I can tell you I am pleasantly surprised. The Epox also has 6PCI vs. 5 for the A7N8X. It also has firewire, 6USB, Soundstorm 6.1 Dolby and all the other Asus Deluxe features except for the currently useless SATA ports.

The cons of the Epox is the board is not laid out as well as the Asus in my opinion, and SPDIF is a plug-in option which does NOT come with the board while Asus wisely built the connectors into the motherboard this time. However, with the Asus Deluxe selling for about $150 and the Epox selling for $104 at www.mwave.com, you get a heck of a value with the Epox. The fact it also overclocks better and is 3-phase power makes it an outstanding choice.

Thus far I have tested the Asus, Leadtek, and Epox nForce2 boards. They are all excellent, but I believe Epox will be the keeper!
Old 7th December, 2002, 01:14 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

A lot of useful information here, Thanks Prometheus!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th December, 2002, 01:33 PM

Thumbs up

A very senseable approach as to what

is available to the end-user.

Excellent post.

Pops.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th December, 2002, 06:48 PM

Anandtech said pretty much the same....

I too would also agree... cept I hate the lack of spdif...

Never mind, will be able to order next week
Old 10th December, 2002, 12:29 AM

That Mwave link doesn't work for me. This one does: http://direct.mwave.com/mwave/index.hmx?

Would have ordered the board from them - $104.50 is a great price - but they're out of stock as is New Egg and everyplace else I've tried.
Old 10th December, 2002, 04:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to dr5op3rdud3

im starting to lean towards the asus board.. it all too scary. But its probably because iv been hanging around the support forum too much. Also i noticed ET hasnt been posting as much, maybe hes working hard.. that alone makes me want to wait alil longer.

RIP SF2
Old 10th December, 2002, 04:46 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Yep, he put up a NEW BIOS today VERY BETA as it's intended for the Non "+" board but Very high FSB's are being posted":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic