AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th December, 2002, 01:07 AM

bootblock v1.0

How can any1 write such idiotprogram whats the point if no1 got it to work I'm beginning to get very tired at this 8rda+ nothing helps it just wont start xp2700 dead and now the 8rda+ wont start.
Old 8th December, 2002, 01:24 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

As you didn't have a support question, I moved your post to AMD Motherboards. Please only post in accordance with our guidelines. Have you asked another with you equipment for specific setup advice?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th December, 2002, 10:03 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

I am assuming that Stinger has suffered from the problem of corruption of the Flash ROM that contains the BIOS.

In this case, the Bootblock is an incredibly handy bit of software that can be used to rewrite the Flash BIOS when used PROPERLY.

The bootblock is all of about 24K, and does NOT contain the system block (IE, all the BIOS routines, POST test and other stuff). That's why it's so basic. Incidently the System block is about 10 times as large as the bootblock, which is why you get so much more in it!

As you have noticed there is a corrupt Flash BIOS, you have four options available to you now. These are listed in descending order of preference.
  • Use the bootblock to reflash the BIOS
  • Remove the BIOS Flash ROM and reprogram it on an EEPROM programmer.
  • Purchase a replacement BIOS from the manufacturer
  • Use "Hot-Swapping" to reprogram the BIOS.

I am going to assume you want to use the bootblock to reflash the BIOS. There are several steps that have to occur in order to do this. First of all you will need the following items:
  • A 1.44Mb floppy disk.
  • A working BIOS ROM image for your motherboard.
  • A working copy of the AWARD flash program
  • A text editor
  • Another computer!
[list=1][*]Create a bootable floppy disk. Under Win95/98 open a DOS prompt. Under DOS, you'll already be at a DOS prompt. Insert the disk and type the command below followed by enter:
Code:
FORMAT A: /S
This will format the floppy disk, and copy the System files across to it.

If you are unlucky enough to have Windows ME, NT, 2000 or XP, then you will have to download a bootable diskette image from Bootdisk.com.
[*]Copy the BIOS ROM (.BIN) file for your motherboard, and the AWARD flash utility to the floppy disk. You should be able to download these from the manufacturers website.
[*]Using a text editor, create a file called "AUTOEXEC.BAT" on the floppy disk. It needs to have the following text in it:
Code:
@ECHO OFF
@AWDFLASH BIOSFILE.BIN /py
Substitute the name of the BIOS file you downloaded for the word "BIOSFILE.BIN". If the AWARD flash utility you downloaded has a different name to "AWDFLASH", change the word "AWDFLASH" for the name of the program you downloaded. Make sure you save the text file as "AUTOEXEC.BAT", as Notepad has a habit of adding ".txt" on the end of a file. This would cause the file to be saved as "autoexec.bat.txt" which would NOT work.
[*] Insert the disk you've created into the floppy drive of the system that you need to restore the BIOS on. Turn the power on. With a bit of luck, the computer should start up and boot off the floppy disk. It will then run the commands in the "AUTOEXEC.BAT" file which should rewrite the BIOS.[/list=1]

Troubleshooting

After doing the above, the system still does not start normally. When it's turned on, all it does is try to access the floppy with the bootblock message.

This indicates that the BIOS reflashing did not happen correctly, or that the wrong BIOS was used. Try again with a different version of the BIOS, and make sure it is the correct version for your motherboard model AND revision.

When I start the machine from the floppy, it starts reading the floppy and then stops very quickly. When the system is restarted, the bootblock message still occurs.

This tends to indicate that there's something wrong with your boot disk. Check that all the commands in the AUTOEXEC.BAT file are correct, and reference the correct names, if they're not the same as above. Other things to check is that the disk is actually bootable, and that you have the correct BIOS for the damaged system on the disk.
Old 8th December, 2002, 10:04 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

This should really be a FAQ somewhere... Anyone fancy writing one?

Áedán
Old 8th December, 2002, 10:15 PM

I don't know..... you sure seem to write just fine.........