AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th December, 2002, 06:52 AM

Dont understand why ET cant answer PCI lock q. I doubt they are under nda

seeing how EVERY OTHER company that released a nforce 2 mobo HAS answered about the PCI lock, as stated in this article: http://www.overclockers.com/tips00213/ , i see no reason why ET cant give us a difinitive YES or NO, if the pci is locked at 33mhz or if it is utilizing a 1/5 divisor (it obviously is not utilizing higher divisor). i mean seriously, it is not like the board comes out in a few months, it is available now and ppl own it!

comon et, EVERYBODY on EVERY FORUM wants to know the answer to this question
Old 7th December, 2002, 06:56 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Next time you post in this manner in the EPoX topic you will be ban, no questions asked, I can't think why I'm not doing it now.

Why would anyone act to please you when you have no respect for those who have worked long and hard to build this forums. Follow the rules or get the hell out!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 7th December, 2002 at 07:02 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th December, 2002, 12:15 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Re: Dont understand why ET cant answer PCI lock q. I doubt they are under nda

Quote:
Originally posted by emericana
seeing how EVERY OTHER company that released a nforce 2 mobo HAS answered about the PCI lock
Indeed, every company has PR representatives. Most companies also have a policy where the PR reps are the people who make that kind of announcement. In most companies, having non-qualified members of staff (IE not PR reps) make announcements is looked upon very poorly. Why else would a company have a PR department?

Nothing is ever as simple as it look!

Áedán
Old 7th December, 2002, 04:56 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

There is a reason Anantech says to take the manufactures statements for "what it's worth", it's because they have been burnt before by manufacturers self serving statements.

(Anyone else remember the early release info on VIA/Asus on the AGP X4 issue concerning fast writes etc. when X4 first came out??)

This may come as a massive shock to some but NDA are NOT a standard contract any more than chip price is. The big boys get better deals, pay less and have more negotiating power when signing an NDA.

NDA exist at ALL levels of Business and extend right down to the consumer level, anyone whose received an E-mail from EPoX support (just one example) has a NDA concerning any information given to them in that E-mai.

I personally do NOT know if EPoX has an NDA concerning this or if anyone else does. I do know that ET and Holst DO. They can say here in these forums ONLY what EPoX decides it is in EPoX's best interest for them or any of it's employees to say.

If this bothers you don't use our EPox Topic! Forgo the wealth of information contained therein and start a revolution in business practices.

If you believe that ET and Holst cannot be trusted because they honorably stand by the terms under which they were hired...Then stop asking for their help.

If other sites feel AOA is irreparably compromised by having EPoX reps in our forums, then stop coming here for information, support with your problems and to download BETA BIOSes to post on your sites and in your forums. No one MAKES you come here.

Those who wish to are more than welcome to do so, both sites and individuals, that why we provide the world with it's only EPoX Tech supported forums, to be of service to ourselves, to you and to the world at large.

If this (CPU lock) is all important to you, then by all means wait until it is known who has it (If any) and who doesn't! Don't be one of the "Earlier adoptors"! Wait until AOA membership has tested and verified their findings for you. Or go elsewhere where this work is being carried out.

A few seem to think that if the manufactures says it's so, then it's so. AOA membership (on the whole) knows better. They know the difference between PR releases by bottom liners and the hardware they actually put into their machines.

Can we say early RAMBUS? Can we say early USB? Can we say "Dude get a Dell!"

Sad to say I seem to end up banning a half dozon people at the release of each new motherboard. Why? Because there will always be those who lack the maturity or are just to bullheaded to understand that everything has a price, even free information.

Our price is that you respect our forums rules and behave in a kind, considerate and adult manner toward those you meet here. We don't ban dissenters, we ban those who will not to respect who we are and what we have accomplished.

That respect need not be all encompassing, it need only extend as far as following the rules that allow us to bring you an EPoX supported topic in the first place.

I haven't had to ban anyone outside of our EPoX topic in months. We are not trying to be hardass about this, but we will act to preserve our good relations with EPoX. To do otherwise would indeed be a disservice to the hardware/overclocking community as well as ourselves.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 7th December, 2002 at 05:19 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th December, 2002, 05:20 PM

I think there is a serious NDA on the MCP-T anyway...

Nvidias plan for world domination involves 2 products, southbridges and GPU's

If they have found a good way of isolating the PCI bus and fixing it at 33mhz whilst running what you like on the northbridge (the bit that will go on Athlon 64) would you want Via and other chipset makers including intel to know what you have done?

If you are really that desperate to know, spend £80 on a gieger PCI bus monitor and test it yourself...

That way you will know fer sure...
Old 7th December, 2002, 05:31 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I feel I should point out (One more time) That the "AMD Mother Boards and CPU" Topic is open to a free discussion of dividers, CPU locks and whether EPoX sacrifices children to the Overclocking gods, in short anything thing you like, so long as the MANNER of your post is consistent with our forums rules as a whole.

Our EPoX topic is NOT! Please read the announcement at the start of our EPoX topic for the rules governing the EPoX Topic and abide by the spirit as well as the letter of the law.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 7th December, 2002 at 05:33 PM.
Old 7th December, 2002, 07:08 PM

er Daniel, this is in the AMD Mobo forum now...

I think you have made your point, but it falls on deaf in this forum...
Old 7th December, 2002, 07:46 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Like it gets heard else where? ":O}

Here's what else Anandtech had to say:

"The Editor's Choice Gold Award for best value motherboard goes to the Epox 8RDA+. The combination of speed, solid features and a bargain-basement price are what makes the Epox 8RDA+ our Editor's Choice Gold Award for best value motherboard in the Athlon XP market. It doesn't hurt that the Epox 8RDA+ ended up overclocking the best out of any other motherboard. Value users should also be pleased with Epox's excellent tech support and RMA policy."
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 7th December, 2002, 08:01 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Galifrey
If they have found a good way of isolating the PCI bus and fixing it at 33mhz whilst running what you like on the northbridge (the bit that will go on Athlon 64) would you want Via and other chipset makers including intel to know what you have done?
Err, the PCI bus is meant to be run completely seperately from the processor bus anyhow. That's why it's the Peripheral Component Interconnect bus! As it's designed to be completely architecture independant, small things like processor clock speeds are not important.

It's only because some designers felt that they should link the processor clock into the PCI bus presumably for price reasons.

Stupid isn't it?

Áedán
Old 7th December, 2002, 11:19 PM

Oh yesh....

with nvidias plan for world domination of the southbridge market, I think there are some pretty amazing things to come for athlon 64 etc...

The thing is, PCI was always a "local bus" and as such linked to the frequency of the CPU, as cpu's have become faster engineers have become a bit lax in how they get the 2 to speak to each other....

Remember VESA local bus? aalways ran at the same frequency as the cpu.... 50mhz bus on some cpu's....

Used to get some decent disk benchies back then compared to PCI....

Perhaps thats where the engineers lost the plot..?

Ah those were the days....
Old 8th December, 2002, 06:08 AM

Am I just missing something here or what? I don't see why someone doesn't just fire up Sisoft Sandra with a 200+MHz FSB and see what she says the PCI bus is at.
Old 8th December, 2002, 11:09 AM

your missing something sandra doesnt say... its not fully nforce 2 compatitable yet....
Old 8th December, 2002, 04:20 PM

switch the pci function of sandra doesnt even work w/ a kt333 let alone a nforce 2
Old 8th December, 2002, 06:46 PM

sandra is a tool, its just to be a tool of its complexity, it often gets things wrong... like the mem bandwidth on nf2 for example, only shows half of the avail bw.