AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 13th December, 2002, 09:05 AM

I think you can rule elite one out Whats the need for AGP voltage adjustments?
Old 13th December, 2002, 01:07 PM

Well guys, I've just tested with my new A250TD ... and ... it works fine ... everything seems to be ok.

Maybe the dead one was only bad luck?! Maybe? Or the original/first release BIOS seems to be have some really bad behaviours?!
Old 13th December, 2002, 01:18 PM

nice
Btw is A250TD a G4 Ti4400 or what?
Which BIOS are U running now?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th December, 2002, 01:26 PM

Yepp, the A250TD is a Ti4400 ... and now there's running the 2C10 BIOS!!!

My advice so far: Boot the first time with an old gfx-card and flash the BIOS with the newest one. After this was done put in your GF4!!! Safety first!
Old 13th December, 2002, 04:16 PM

Yeah, it might be initial Bios that causes this.
Also seen another reported dead GF4 on 8RDA+, Marvin.

I mailed EPoX support earlier and they assured me that there´s nothing wrong with the motherboard.
Blamed the manufacturers of some GF4´s.

Last edited by Caper; 13th December, 2002 at 04:19 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th December, 2002, 08:57 PM

see the first post for the list

Last edited by EluSiOn; 14th December, 2002 at 07:51 PM.
Old 13th December, 2002, 09:12 PM

I think you will find that everybody has the same placement of the socket mounting holes.
I think everybodys waterblocks fitted fine (even cooledByWaters, who complained the most)

I have read this thread about peoples GF4 dying.
I dont beleve there is anything wrong with the board, but your concerns have been noted.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 13th December, 2002, 09:13 PM

I'm sitting with my current system, an Epox 8KHA+ and a Geforce 4 Ti4600.
Beside me, in it's box, I have an Epox 8RDA+ and an AMD XP 2400+
I've been looking forward to this upgrade ever since I read about the nforce2 and was more than happy when I saw Epox releasing a mobo with this chipset. I have been and still are, very pleased with my 8KHA+

But now I'm scared. 8 broken GF4's in a combination with an Epox RDA+, of how many in this forum?
And not one word from Epox ??

Is this just a coincident?? I hardly belive so.

I just don't know what to do. My first thoughts was to return this mobo and buy another brand but I also read about people who can run this combination, Epox 8RDA+ and GF4 after they flashed the BIOS.
This also rise a question of course. Can it be so that the BIOS version shipped with the motherboard gives to high voltage to the AGP?
Or can it cause the trouble in any other way?

I don't know but I'm a curious person, so I'm gonna boot this mobo with a pci-card the first time, flash the BIOS, put in my GF4, pray to God and boot.

May the force be with me :nervous:
Old 13th December, 2002, 09:30 PM

2nd,

Make sure you ground yourself first. In addition, I am also upgraded from 8KHA+ to 8RDA+ with AMD 2400 and a GF4 Ti4200. It works great for me. However, when I put my 8RDA+ together, I was using a SiS AGP card and then flash my bios. Then my GF4 came. Some other people blamed the original bios fried their GF4 and we can't confirm it. Some of them got their replacement in and put their GF4 in using other than orginal bios and it works great. This thread is not trying to put you off from using Epox and 8RDA+ but just let you know there are reports of people experience this kind of problem and the cause is still undetermined. This thread purpose is try let other people aware of this issue and try to do everything possible to avoid from happening again.

Holst,

Corn, eliteone and kuzma are fully aware of this issue because they have read the posts on AOA forum about this issue. They took extra precaution (ground themselves, wrist bands) and still their GF4 card got fried. It is great to hear that Epox has noticed our concerns. Now we just hope no more fried GF4 cards (They are expensive)
Old 13th December, 2002, 10:07 PM

@EluSiOn:

I'm always using a wrist band when I work at the hardware of my systems, this couldn't be the reason in my case.

I made a few thoughts about this problems:
  1. The initial BIOS seems to be related in every GF4 issue so far
  2. A bad case or the like can have obstructed the correct seat of the GF4 in the AGP slot of the 8RDA+ - I've never experienced before that this is killing a gfx-card
  3. Maybe it's an ESD issue - but I can't present it to me
  4. Often an AXP Tbred B and or Corsair XMS ram iss involved - Maybe the combination of all three items and the initial BIOS causes the failure?
Old 13th December, 2002, 10:26 PM

Stan,

I guess none of us can really tell what went wrong... so that is why Epox acknowledge this issue is critical... I feel lucky myself because my GF3 fried before 8RDA+ and my GF4 here... so I have to use a SIS AGP card....
Old 14th December, 2002, 02:17 AM

Finally back again after some trouble but now everything seems fine so far.

Thank you EluSiOn for your care. :beer: ( we could have use of a hug-smiley here )

ESD isn't a problem for me. I've been doing stuff like this for 15 years, ( yeah, I know. I am old ), I even get paid for it, and I know how important it is to be 'grounded'. Never fried a hardware component so far.

But there was problem at the start.

I used a pci card to boot my system for the first time. And I know this card was ok.

I had premade a bootable floppy with awdflash and latest official bios.

Booted at floppy. Graphic error. Couldn't read what was on the screen. A lot of colors and stripes and big squares.

Changed pci-slot and cleared cmos. Booting. The graphic error was even worst.

Once again, changed pci-slot, cleared cmos and boot. Still graphic error.

Now I was kinda desperate so did a flash even that I couldn't read what was on the screen. Call it luck or whatever. The flashing succeded.
Cleared cmos, reboot - no videosignal from the pci card.
Tried again. No videosignal. The pci card died. :devil:

Took a chance and installed my GF4 and booted. I admit, there were some exciting seconds but woah, it worked.

After next reboot, no harddrives -> -> -> :devil:
I tell you, it was not far from that I took my shootgun and used it on my comp.

Well, I finally sorted it out. Disconnected my cd from the 2nd ide and connected my drives there and the computer booted without problem.
I put the drives back on channel 1 and my cd on channel 2 and here I am after installing Windows.

But I'm pretty convinced that there are problems with this mobo.
If it causes of the BIOS it's shipped with or not, I don't know.
But Epox should take this seriously before it's going to far and people lost their faith in them.

It's 02.30 am here now and I'm very tired so I'm going to bed and hope this "monster" will boot without problem when I wake up.

And to the rest of you who just got their 8RDA+ or are waiting for it, I wish you the best luck.

Good night from Sweden.
Old 14th December, 2002, 05:09 AM

Good to hear you got it to work 2nd, even if you had some problems.
I would have been interested to see what would happend if you did try the GF4 upon first boot...but I do understand why you didn´t

Is that PCI card REALLY smoked by the way, did you try it in another motherboard?

Last edited by Caper; 14th December, 2002 at 07:45 AM.
Old 14th December, 2002, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Holst
I think you will find that everybody has the same placement of the socket mounting holes.
I think everybodys waterblocks fitted fine (even cooledByWaters, who complained the most)

I have read this thread about peoples GF4 dying.
I dont beleve there is anything wrong with the board, but your concerns have been noted.
It´s good to hear from you in this thread Holst and that EPoX noted our concerns.

When my Visiontek GF4 Ti4600 was smoked I was very confused, I have been building rigs for several years and this kinda thing has never happend me before.
Ok, I can buy that in 10 years I kill a gfx by ESD or just clumsyness...even though I mounted it correct.
But when the reports of more fried GF4 came in I got very confused.
Is it really possible that 8 users in just this forum smokes GF4 on 8RDA+, the board has just been released and how many here use it...15-20 ?
I have never ever heard of anyone frying their gfx by mounting it in another board, and I do know a lot of users that build rigs.

Several user was prepared on this also and took extra precautions and even then they lost their GF4.

I am sorry EPoX but my feelings about this, is that it is not user errors.

Since Visiontek got bankcrupted I am now struggeling with RMA at shop where I bought it.
The Swedish distributor will NOT replace the gfx even though it came with 3 year warranty here in Europe.
Bought it 8 months ago.
They said...sorry but you have to talk to the reseller about it, we will not replace it because Visiontek doesn´t exist any more.

At first I was promised to get the money back that I bought it for and choose gfx of choise.
But after a couple of day´s this wasn´t the case anymore.

Now I will get a Gainward Ti4600 Golden Sample, but it doesn´t have the Video-In that my Visiontek had and I will also have to pay 750 Skr+shipping to get it.
Approx 100 Euro or ~100 US dollar.

So here I am...spended some hard earned money on 8RDA+ and bought 512 Mb Corsair to match it...wich by the way doesn´t enjoy high fsb on 8RDA+ and have to be RMA´d to Corsair.
If the RAM really´is the próblem, maybe it just doesn´t enjoy the life in 8RDA+ yet?
On top of that pay even more to get a new gfx.

I was pretty sure that 8RDA+/XMS3500 and my GF4 would bring me a lot of fun but so far it isn´t the case.

I was almost on the way to dump this board a couple of day´s ago but will hang on to it until my new GFX arrive and I get the memory back from Corsair.

I do know about beeing the Guinea Pig when buying new hardware, I have alway´s been the curious type.

8RDA+ is giving me a VERY mixed bag of emotions so far.
I do hope that EPoX makes it ROX, as for now..it doesn´t really.

And please EPoX, don´t take this as criticism but feedback on the board.
I really enjoy EPoX earlier boards and hope that 8RDA+ will be even better.
Old 14th December, 2002, 02:52 PM

According to rocky500 in this thread 2 more GF4 on 8RDA+ is smoked:
http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/showt...666#post131666
Old 14th December, 2002, 04:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to El S

Maybe that is what happens when you give overclockers control of how much voltage goes to the AGP slot?
Old 14th December, 2002, 04:23 PM

If you read the thread you will notice that the video cards died on initial boot.
No manipulation of AGP voltage from the users.
Old 14th December, 2002, 04:35 PM

I just went out and got me a new card Daytona GF4 Ti4200 and plugged that one in and it worked ok.
Still pissed over my Ti4400 tho
The more I read here and knowing that I did everything ok when
I mounted the Ti4400 I am more or less sure I didnt fry that card.
Must have been a combination of BIOS+Mem+CPU or something
@ 1:st boot...grrr
Old 14th December, 2002, 05:12 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I'll bet dollars to do-nuts that 4 weeks from now this will be a forgotten issue. This survey has absolutely no statistical merit. I think we can safely assume that EPoX has sold ten's of thousands of these boards.

Where are the 100 dead boards per ten thousand that would create even a 1% death rate?

I notice the "It's Kills CPUs" has been dropped.

I've killed Two Geforce cards in my time, or rather they got depressed and committed suicide for no reason I could find. What does that tell me about Geforce cards? Nothing at all. One was overclocked one wasn't. What does that tell me? Nothing at all.

For a staticial sampling to have any merit one would need a very much better means of gathering data, let alone analyzing it. Even real pros in this area have made horrendous mistakes in both areas.

I'm not saying that asking folk if they are having a problem is wrong or bad or even useless. But to Ask for EPoX to "recognize" that "This is happening" Is just plain silly.

So far no one has shown that anything is "Happening" I've killed, personally, 10% of the the number of reported deaths and I have never done so in an EPoX board.

What does that say about the boards I was using? Nothing at all.

The numbers of deaths would have to be in the order of 5 or even 10% for such a flawed gathering of information to indicate anything.

In short the number of deaths would have to stick out like a sore thumb. We haven't seen anything in this post that can't be chalked up to to bad luck and squeaky wheels.

Hey, you burn a $300.00 video card you go looking for answers!

But logic says you go looking first at video cards, not motherboards.
So whose burnt a video card not related to this board? Probably (Purest of speculation on my part here!) 1/3 of us?

My point is that video cards do fry on their own.

My real point is you have already found out what you wanted to know. The world has not awakened to a massacre of video cards. There is no problem here, just a small group of deaths (very small) with no immediately known cause.

Every day that goes by puts me more in the right on this. Time to let it go . This simply is not happening or we ALL would know it by now...yes?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 14th December, 2002, 05:45 PM

Nice Post Daniel.

But in our case we have had both Leadtek Geforce 4600 Cards working in multiple m/b's before. (all Via based boards though)

I have been on the forums for many years for many manufacturers (Asus, MSI, Epox, ABit) and have never seen this sort of problem happen EVER before in such a short time from the release of a new board from anyone. If fact I can't remember if I have seen a post before of someone frying a Video card on Post & then puting in another card & it works and all is ok.

I went to Leadtek forums for their new NForce2 MB & there is not 1 mention of a fried Geforce on boot up.
I will look through other NForce2 forums to see if this could be happening from other manufacturers.

But at the moment with the procedure we did we are real dissapointed with this board. From the other thread I posted too it seemed like Leadtek & VisionTek were the major problem cards with this board.