AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 23rd December, 2002, 06:43 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by LL_NEO
As far as I can remember he didn't, but even if he did so and the econd card worked properly, he could tell you that there is a variation to the voltage tolerance of each card or something.

Oh something else. OK I am going to buy a wrist band but where should I plug its clip? Plugging it to the tower itself would be silly. It's common sense that when we are playing with such equipment we unplug the system, so at that point the case could not be used for grounding since it wont be connected to the houses's electrical circuit and it's grounding as well.
Exactly right. Depending on what's close to your work area, and what kind of plug that the wrist band has, an electrical outlet is good. Or the screw that holds the faceplate on an electrical outlet. The burners of an electric cooking range are very well grounded. Better not to turn one on if you're using it as a ground!
Old 14th January, 2003, 12:45 AM

I wish I would've read this before I bought my epox. Bought two 8rda's and two geforce4's. (gotta build one for my son). I admit I'm an amatuer, so I don't tinker with overclocking or anything else, I just want it to work. I've built two comps before, not had a problem.

I set mine up first, my first warning sign was the heatsink for the nforce2 chipset wasn't all the way connected. I connected it, and finished installing everything, including my geforce4. Went to boot, got absolutely nothing, fans on, whirring sounds, but nothing on my monitor. Checked connections, still nothing. Keep in mind, I'm fully grounded and working on wood floors and wood tables just to be safe.

Thinking maybe it was a bad mobo, I put in the other one, reinstalled everything and flipped it on. This time it does work (had a NTLDR error, but that was software related). Got it up and running, no problems. Oddly, the next day I go to boot up, same thing, nothing at all but fans running. On a whim, I disconnect everything, open the case and push on the BIOS chip to make sure it's seated. Reinstall everything and it works!? Odd.

Next day nothing, again. Now even pushing on the bios does nothing. I'm going to check to see if my G4 still works on this computer, I hope so.
Old 17th January, 2003, 07:17 AM

Hi all, i actually just got my ep-8rda+ and i have a visiontek gforce 4 ti 4200...needless to say this thread has me a little more than concerned about the safety of my card. anyway from reading other threads on this subject , my take on it is that due to the placement of the agp slot in relation to the dimms on the board causes trouble. and to use EXREME caution and a little dexterity when installing, also that i should install the RAM modules before the vcard. something that a more uncautious or comfortable and confident builder may want to look out for , that not doing this properly may knock out the transistors on the vcard,. if any of you can give me some caution guidelines to try before i do the build let me know by all means! i dont want to burn my gforce. also i do not have a pci card or another cheaper vcard for that matter laying around to use as a guinea pig, so its gonna be all or nothing on my end. thanks in advance.
IBM deskstar ata133 60gig
TDK velociraptor cdrw 52x
antec 450 psu
thermaltake V7+
2x256 corsair pc 2700cas2 XMS 7,3,3,3
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th January, 2003, 04:11 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sirtoby

it won't really affect you since you have a ti-4200.. the pcb of the ti-4200's is so short that it shouldn't even matter in what order you install it.. i.e. memory first and gfx card later, or the other way around. Since it won't touch the card.

At least that's the case with my 8rda+ and MSI GF4 Ti4200..