AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th December, 2002, 05:02 AM

ET, why is the 8RDA+ killing gf4s?

I would like to know why this board is murdering gf4 cards. I know it doesnt happen to ALL cards but it has happened to 5 on this forum now and more on overclockers.com. I tried a TNT2 and gf2 card and they both work fine but the 8RDA+ shot my gf4. This deserves an explanation as having a $400 card shot is not the funnest thing in the world to deal with.
512MB Corsair PC3500 (2 sticks)
Radeon 9700 Pro
120GB WD SE & 80GB Maxtor
SB Audigy Plat Ex(modded to audigy 2)
Linksys 10/100
Pioneer DVD Slot Loader
Plextor 24x
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th December, 2002, 05:06 AM

I feel for ya bro...... thats pretty bad....
Old 10th December, 2002, 05:10 AM

Cool Down

First... you are not the first one...

Second... is your video card under warranty?
I have a Visiontek GF3 video gone bad on its own. It was under 3 yr warranty but Visiontek has gone under... I dun have a place even to RMA my card. (This is not related to 8RDA+)

Third... let's wait and see, you are the 5th one who report this problem... and we still need to know if this is a independant case or ... it is really indeed a bad motherboard QC

Check 8RDA+ GF4 problems?? for more updated info.

Coming out touting at ET will not help the situation and it will only make you look bad and let the administrators have an excuse to silence you (ban/delete/lock). In addition, ET just a guy working for Epox and he cannot be responsible for your fried GF4 card. I understand how you feel because I had a fried GF3 card and I paid US$400 for it too.
Old 10th December, 2002, 05:11 AM

i cant even fathom how it is the board that caused the problem. what is specific to the gf4 card that interfaces with the agp slot different than all of the other cards that are out there. if it was all types of cards regularily failing in these boards then i could understand but not just one type. seems like another explanation has to be out there other than that epox hates gf4 cards and is trying to sabotage them and punish the people who spent their hard earned money to purchase an epox board.
512mb corsair xms3200 cl2 (2 256 sticks) 5-2-2-2
40gb 7200rpm wd 8mb cache
9700 pro 3.1 based omegas
56x cdrom
24x10x40 cdrw
winxp pro
19" trinitron
600w ps
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th December, 2002, 05:15 AM

Hey guys... stop... more this kind of post will in the end make this thread lock/deleted...

Lets be rational and look at the situation. I really don't believe Epox has such thing against GF4. If... here is the BIG IF... we are making an assumption... let's not turn it into accusation, we see more incidents reported, then we can say Epox needs to do better on their Quality Control. Come on, now it is still too early to make a conclusion yet.
Old 10th December, 2002, 05:23 AM

finally, a voice of reason...........
512mb corsair xms3200 cl2 (2 256 sticks) 5-2-2-2
40gb 7200rpm wd 8mb cache
9700 pro 3.1 based omegas
56x cdrom
24x10x40 cdrw
winxp pro
19" trinitron
600w ps
Old 10th December, 2002, 05:47 AM

I'm not blaming ET as its not his fault...but i DO believe these boards were not tested as much as they should have been. What I would like to know is...what gf4s are being killed? Manufacturer and model(ti4200, ti4400, 4600). Mine was a gainward ti4600
Radeon 9700 Pro
Linksys 10/100
Pioneer DVD Slot Loader
Plextor 24x
Old 10th December, 2002, 05:54 AM

Guys doesn't it make sense that if you have overclocked your video card before by raising the agp bus speed out of spec you have stressed that video card alot! Just think that maybe firing it up one more time might have killed it anyway in your previous mobo????
Saphire X3870
X-Fi Music Extreme
ATI 650 TV Wonder
Western Digital 74 Raid 0
Western Digital 74
Plextor 716A DVD-RW
Plextor PX116A DVD
Antec P160w/side window 1 120mm Blue Led Fans.
Antec NEO HE 550w PSU
GateWay FP2485W
Vista Ultimate
Old 10th December, 2002, 06:35 AM

The 8RDA+ is not killing Geforce4's... it is merely an assumption and accusation which is being spread on this forum...
AMD64 Venice 3200+@2500 (250x10) || Epox 9NDA3J v2.1 || 1.5GB PC3200 RAM || Inwin Q800 case || Enermax 431w PSU || ATI Radeon X800 XL AIW || Acer 226BW 22" LCD monitor || NEC 2500A 8x DVD-R/RW || WD 120gb & 80gb 7200rpm 8mb cache || 26,462 3DMark 2001 || 12,619 3DMark 2003 || 6,016 3DMark 2005 || Folding@Home 24/7...
Old 10th December, 2002, 08:30 AM

I thought the 8rda that died on me had killed my gf4 on first installation, turns out that it didnt like the AGP8x support being enabled in the bios.

ABIT AN7 2500xp-m @ 2.8ghz (H20-220 WC) , 1GB Twinmos PC3200, Radeon 9800pro(XT flashed)

Old 10th December, 2002, 09:24 AM

I'll get a replacement GF4 later this week and if this card will be smoked too, I would think it's a board problem and not my fault or just bad luck!

Well, yet I think it's just bad luck, but who knows ....? :]

BTW: I contacted the german EPOX-support, so stay tuned!
Old 10th December, 2002, 10:14 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

I can't think how to better get ignored that by the attitude of the thread starter. EPoX thoroughly tests it's board with all popular brands of video cards. Nvidia MAKES both chip sets.

I've moved this thread to the AMD Motherboards topic where wild unsubstantiated and unthinking assumptions are tolerated.

Have you any idea how many Video cards go tits up every day day in and day out?

Read back just 7 days ago and look at all the nonsense impatience posted because it could not wait for understanding to arrive!!

As this topic has as a prerequisite of a degree of maturity that our other topics don't; I'm adopting a new policy of banning users from the EPoX topic rather than the forums as a whole.

This in the hope that AOA will work it's magic and help our newer members who either don't read the rules or don't respect us enough to follow them, by gaining them time in which to grow up a bit to a point where they can again access the EPoX topic.

This will piss some off, to damn bad. Better that than have ET and Holst regret having donated their time to helping those who don't seen to appreciate their effort.

If this doesn't work I'll have to place a minimum post requirement upon the EPoX topic or some other form of nonsense to protect AOA's membership's interests.

Almost everyone who comes here displays a well mannered approach, I won't sacrifice what they have here for those who do not.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 10th December, 2002 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10th December, 2002, 02:22 PM

Take heed good people....

Pops.

Old 10th December, 2002, 06:44 PM

I'm hoping its just bad luck as I know that happens sometimes. I told newegg the situation and got my RMA. I'll be shipping this out overnight shipping so I can get my replacement back pretty quick.
Radeon 9700 Pro
Linksys 10/100
Pioneer DVD Slot Loader
Plextor 24x
Old 10th December, 2002, 09:28 PM

i am new to this board. the first thing i saw was (epox forum) "we have a tie to epox and there is a no discuss thing about pci right now. " fine, i thought, worth it for the knowledge.

after reading everything here, i am now buying an Epox 8rda+ BECAUSE of this forum not dispite of it. i am an original A**t and long time user. i was about to buy the A**s board but am sure now that the epox is the best one out there. no question.

i feel for you losing an expensive video card. that sux. that really has to hurt. even being as pissed as you must have been you could have been simple about it and said just that, i'm pissed , my cards gone, i didn't do nuttin wrong! understandable. you chose to call epox a POS, you chose to post about PCI lock topic, that was your choice. you get consequences for choices. when you're hurt you throw logic out the window "I don't understand why i was banned!" Yes you do, and it was not for the reason you gave. ppl are getting a little tired of going to different boards and have the atmosphere there ruined by a few. It's almost getting to the point that...

Something goes wrong:

trailer park (hey , i lived in one) trash = (brand name) SUX !!!!

normal = HELP! Whaaa just happened here? HELP!

considerate = Anyone know why this would happen?

PPL who take time to help = priceless

it's a pretty serious charge to level (businesswise) so don't think you haven't gone unnoticed. it is making me look at, at least the possiblity of, a weak circuit or cap in that card and maybe a start up voltage issue, remains to be seen. it doesn't change the possibilities i see in this board however.

i still can't help asking how i would really feel after watching my good card go up in smoke. not too good. and then getting ignominously booted. bottom line though.... moved really. you're still here aren't you? that says tons about this place. you expressed yourself in a way that could only have one outcome. you seem to have recovered nicely considering what you've gone through.

you'll feel different when you have a new working card and a working system. every o/c 'er knows how you feel to lose something.
Old 12th December, 2002, 01:51 AM

Well atleast newegg has a great return policy and they were nice enough to replace my card . I know I came off rude when I posted here after my videocard blew...but what wasnt the reason I was banned. My 8RDA+ died today giving me the nasty bios checksum error. I already got the RMA for it and ordered a different brand mobo. Epox is a great company and I have owned 3 epox mobos prior to this one and all of them gave me 0 problems. This board just seemed to gives me tons of problems for what reason I dunno.
Radeon 9700 Pro
Linksys 10/100
Pioneer DVD Slot Loader
Plextor 24x
Old 12th December, 2002, 02:27 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

For the same reason it's giving a lot of people problems eliteone. it's a new chip set, more capabilities = more complications in set-up. The RAM issue sure didn't help any either. The versatilities in ram settings threw a lot of people. No one had any experience with with theses obstacles, so questions went unanswered for a week or so. People get nervous when valuable commodities are at stake. Rumors flood the net and increase anxiety's.

But now that the board is in a lot more hands answers are being found and put to use. few and fewer people are left frustrated.

Now the picture is clearing up, You've got a great M.B, you Will find answers. Then you will share those answers this is the way of AOA We are an "Alliance For The Advancement Of The Overclocking Arts"
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 12th December, 2002, 02:37 AM

Geeeeez you have some bad luck....... just think, now you will have both a new card + mobo.... sccccccchwwwweeeeeeeeeeet!!!!