AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th December, 2002, 10:14 AM

Does EPoX 8RDA+ supports PCI bus locking?

I'm going to buy a new EPoX 8RDA+ mainboard which based on nForce2 chipset (nForce2 SPP + MCP-T). But I wonder this mainboard has support PCI bus locking or not? In addition, when a 166MHz FSB Athlon overcloked to 200MHz FSB, is that the PCI bus still running at 33MHz? Thanks a lot.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a newbie. Please help me find out the answer.
Old 11th December, 2002, 10:19 AM

I'm afraid you can't talk about that on this forum. Epox has nothing to hide but are bound by an agreement with the chipset provider. You should ask on a forum which is not staffed with Epox engineers.

Having said that though, I have never had hard drive corruption at high FSB's
Raptor raid
2 x SATA 300GB Maxtor HDD's
Enermax 600W Noisetaker PSU
Geforce 6800GT
Audigy 2.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th December, 2002, 10:31 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

For the reason JayT has given I'm moving this thread to our "AMD Motherboards and CPU" Topic, Where this can be discussed to your hearts content! ":O}

Thanks Jay T!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th December, 2002, 10:44 AM

Does EPoX 8RDA+ supports PCI bus locking?

I'm going to buy a new EPoX 8RDA+ mainboard which based on nForce2 chipset (nForce2 SPP + MCP-T). But I wonder this mainboard has support PCI bus locking or not? In addition, when a 166MHz FSB Athlon overcloked to 200MHz FSB, is that the PCI bus still running at 33MHz? Thanks a lot.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a newbie. Please help me find out the answer.
Old 11th December, 2002, 10:45 AM

Please tell me the answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11th December, 2002, 10:46 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

This has been discussed before. You will not get an official reply I'm afraid as this cannot be commented on by ET or Holst.

From what I have read i believe it does. But as I said, no official word from ET or Holst, but most people get 200mhz FSB with good ram without any other problems.

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 11th December, 2002, 10:58 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

R.N, gsan_bot :
Please read our Announcement at the top of the EPoX page.

I've moved this thread to our "AMD Motherboards and CPUs" Topic where this CAN be discussed.
To post again on those issues mentioned in our announcement will result in your being ban from

the EPoX topic. Please enjoy our forums and show your appreciation by respecting our Rules.

Thank you!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 11th December, 2002, 11:05 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

gsan_bot , Please do not post a question one than once or in more than one topic.
Thank you.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 11th December, 2002, 11:44 AM

I think I can comment now that this thread has been moved. :nervous: It must have a PCI lock as it supports the 200 MHz FSB barton chips. Asus have come and said that they have a PCI lock but everyone must also have one as N-Force boards have no dividers. I've never been able to beat 180 FSB before as my hard drives corrupt, but not with this board. People who have run tests have confirmed that the PCI bus is locked!
Raptor raid
2 x SATA 300GB Maxtor HDD's
Enermax 600W Noisetaker PSU
Geforce 6800GT
Audigy 2.
Old 11th December, 2002, 02:41 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

There have been occasional reports of HD corruption. Most of those cases have been attributed to memory errors. Since there has yet to be a report of verifiable HD corruption not caused by memory, I'm of the mind that the PCI speed is locked. To further assist the cause, I tried a couple of experiments. I have a PCI ATA100 card. I also have a cheapo ATA66 HD. I connected the the HD to the ATA100 card and tried moving very large files (15GB) back and forth between that and the drive connected to the 8RDA+'s IDE channel. I did this running 200FSB which would would give the equivalent of ATA80 on my ATA66 drive if the PCI only had a 1/5 divider. Nothing evil happened.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 12th December, 2002, 09:40 PM

I personally do not know for sure if it is locked or not...... BUT I have a seagate barrcudaIV hd, and with my old KT266A board when I pushed it too hard I got hard drive corruption..... I'M talking BAD SECTORS!!!! With this board I haven't gotten any bad sectors, and I have hit 235 fsb synched, it became unstable at that speed for sure, and crashed after a couple Sandra mem benches( this happened a few times at very aggressive mem timings. nothing higher than 5-2-2-2)..... BUT I did not get bad sectors as had happened every time b4 with my old board. I have had to reinstall ( now just ghost. TY Ghost..... ), as my system32\config\system file was corrupt or missing .. now I'm no genius here, but I'm thinking it was memory related for the reasons stated above.

JMHO of course.............