AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th December, 2002, 01:12 AM

1800 Palomino or 1700 Tbred?

I may have the opportunity to trade my 1800 Palomino for a 1700 Tbred. Would this be a good trade?
Old 13th December, 2002, 01:44 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Yes.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th December, 2002, 02:16 AM

Just yes? Is it inherently more powerful at stock speeds than the 1800? It would be a favor to a friend, but I don't wanna get screwed either...
Old 14th December, 2002, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BroncoBob
Just yes? Is it inherently more powerful at stock speeds than the 1800? It would be a favor to a friend, but I don't wanna get screwed either...
Obviously it will be less powerfull 1700+ < 1800+ but the good thing will be that it will heat less since it works at 1.5 V overclocking results put it max at 1900MHz or thereabouts (some people reported 2200+ ratings which i thonk is about 2GHz).
Old 14th December, 2002, 04:00 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by BroncoBob
What Sapient said. Most Palominos top off at around the 17050-1850 mark with around 1.85V. The 1700+ T-bred will most likely clock to around 1900Mhz with 1.8V. If you're willing to go higher, around 2.0V, you can usually get it up to 2000Mhz provided you have a good cooling setup. At 2000Mhz, that's equivalent to an XP2400+. I would make the trade in a heartbeat.

AOA Team fah

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th December, 2002, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mookydooky

What Sapient said. Most Palominos top off at around the 17050-1850 mark with around 1.85V. The 1700+ T-bred will most likely clock to around 1900Mhz with 1.8V. If you're willing to go higher, around 2.0V, you can usually get it up to 2000Mhz provided you have a good cooling setup. At 2000Mhz, that's equivalent to an XP2400+. I would make the trade in a heartbeat.

Would that be with the proc. locked or un? I just tried OCing it to 142FSB with 1.55v and it refused to POST. That's the same amount of additional voltage I was running my 1800 at 142.

I didn't know that the safe volts is as high as you state, so I'm gonna go back and try it with more volts.

My cooling consists of a Volcano9, 80mm Sunon HO in the bott. front (intake), 92mm Stealth in the side (intake), 80mm Sunon HO in the top (exhaust), 60mm Delta in top/back (exhaust), and the PSU. Would that be considered good?

The replies and advice are much appreciated.
Old 14th December, 2002, 08:30 PM
AOA Staff

Ok, the T-Breds all come factory unlocked. You should be able to run any multiplier of 11 and under. I'm personally running it at 9.5 x 200. I'm also using 1.8V. To be perfectly honest, I don't know how safe it is to run at this voltage. I figure though, if it runs for a year, I can probably replace it when it dies with another $50 CPU that will run even better.

Your cooling setup sounds ok. It should be enough to run at 1900Mhz.

AOA Team fah

Old 15th December, 2002, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mookydooky
Ok, the T-Breds all come factory unlocked. You should be able to run any multiplier of 11 and under. I'm personally running it at 9.5 x 200. I'm also using 1.8V. To be perfectly honest, I don't know how safe it is to run at this voltage. I figure though, if it runs for a year, I can probably replace it when it dies with another $50 CPU that will run even better.

Your cooling setup sounds ok. It should be enough to run at 1900Mhz.
So, is it better to run a higher FSB at a lower multi, than vice versa? Right now I am running 11 x 166. I have read some things about data corruption when running the PCI/AGP freqs. way out of spec...