AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th December, 2002, 10:27 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Dual AMD Server Mainboards. "Good" or not?

First, this is an acedemic question. Second, I'm an AMD booster.
I read that the 760 MPX chipset is hopelessly outdated. Does this mean that AMD Server mainboards --that are available today-- are outclassed by Intel, no question about it?

The price difference between a "populated" Dual Athlon MP mainboard and a up and running Dual Xeon mainboard is considerable. Is it fair to say that the 760 MPX chipset is a great deal for the money, even though it's far behind modern Dual SMP Intel chipsetted boards?

If so, is there a hand's-down best Server mainboard that sports the AMD 760 MPX chipset? As well as a Server mainboard with the AMD 760 MPX chipset that's generally agreed to be the worst?

Thank you for your time!
Old 14th December, 2002, 10:41 PM

760MPX outdated? Where did you read that?

Yes, Intel does make some products that outclass the AMD offerings when it comes to multiprocessing, but the Intel offerings cost far more for their latest and greatest systems. Furthermore, there really isn't any options for overclocking in a dual Xeon computer.

Is it fair to say that the 760 MPX chipset is a great deal for the money, even though it's far behind modern Dual SMP Intel chipsetted boards?

Certainly! And even more so if you are comfortable with doing the L5 mod on Athlon XP. With the current price of the XP processors, you could build a very fast duallie for a very decent price.

If so, is there a hand's-down best Server mainboard that sports the AMD 760 MPX chipset?

The Iwill MPX2 - best overclocker for FSB, also one of the most stable boards.
MSI K7D - supports multiplier adjusting.
Tyan Tiger MPX (s2466 -4m) - reliable.

As well as a Server mainboard with the AMD 760 MPX chipset that's generally agreed to be the worst?

I'm sure its a fine board, but I have heard of many problems with the Asus A7M266-D. The Tyan Tiger MP (the one with the 760MP, not the 760MPX) has some issues with power.

Last edited by CamoAlien; 14th December, 2002 at 10:44 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th December, 2002, 01:38 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SickBoy Send a message via AIM to SickBoy

From what I've observed, the Tyan boards are most finicky with things like power supplies, video cards and RAM. Otherwise, the playing field is pretty much level.

If, when you say that MPX boards are hopelessly outdated, you mean that they are behind the times when comapred to single CPU boards, yes, you're right. It will always be that way, though.

Intel has an extremely good reputation with the business sector, and has the resources to throw at developing advanced high end server and workstation boards. AMD doesn't have that luxury. But for the enthusiast, the DP Athlon platform is a godsend - it makes SMP with a decent upgrade path affordable. (I say that because DP PIII costs about the same overall and has zero upgrade path)

AMD will continue to dig in to Intel's share in the server/workstation market, but it'll be tough and it will not come as easily as it did for them with the joe average consumer market. The more market share they get, the more they will develop for the server market... it's a cycle....

sb
Member #100

Abit KT7A-Raid----TBird 1 GHz@1333------Alpha PAL8045--------1.8v
MSI K7D Master---2x Duron 1.2@1320-----Glaciator II and SK6----1.75V
Asus A7N266-VM-----XP 1800+----SVC GC12----1.75V

"People want to know what I'm on. What am I on?!? I'm on my bike, six hours a day."

-Lance Armstrong, cancer survivor, father, and four-time Tour de France champion
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th December, 2002, 02:15 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

The biggest gripe one can have about the MPX boards being "outdated" is the memory bandwidth. It only supports PC1600 and PC2100 DDR memory, and doesn't use it as efficiently as chipsets like the KT266A. However, when you consider that P3 duallys share a single 133MHz SDR FSB(even if they do use a DDR memory chipset), you realize that they beat those solutions by a fair bit at about the same price.

If you're considering building an SMP Athlon system, I'd consider looking at the MSI K7D and a couple of 1700+ or 1800+ Tbreds with a Sparkle 400W PSU(or better if you like). AFAIK the K7D should run the Tbreds, but you might wait and see if they officially support Tbred MP chips when they become available, as there could be current stability issues with the two-phase CPU power supplies.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 16th December, 2002, 03:10 AM

That should be somewhat remedied with the launch of a 333mhz FSB-supporting MPX chipset for Barton....
Old 17th December, 2002, 08:14 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Jeff, the 400 watt sparkle is BARELY up to handling my dual 1800mhz at 1.85 volt XP's.

The memory bandwidth is the only bottleneck. Lets hope AMD release an Nforce style chipset to replace the 760mp, double the bandwidth and its gonna boost performance a LOT. Unlike on an Nforce2 board

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."