AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th December, 2002, 11:36 PM

Epox and Asus Nforce 2 boards

I thought as there have been a lot of comments about Epox boards on these forums, I would post my experiences of both...

Having owned firstly, and Asus A7N8X and latterly the Epox 8RDA+ I have sufficient knowledge of both to make a few comparisons...

1. Both boards suffer with problems of boot failure with 3500 corsair ram, the epox thankfully gives you feedback due to its p80 indicator, with the Asus, a cold boot would not correct the problem with the Epox it does, at least for me...

2. The Asus has very limited voltage options, whilst this will suit the normal user, for a kean overclocker it just doesnt measure up, indeed, I eventually killed my Asus Vmodding it...

3. The Asus has more hardware features and comes with a decent software package, for example, 2 NICS onboard, SPDIF out as standard (pretty crucial for DD5.1 encoding) and Raid thru the onboard Silicon Image SATA controller. It also has a speech POST feature which was completely useless whenever my POST failed...

4. Both have great FSB options, the Epox even better since the latest BIOS which has 250 FSB as an option...

5. The layout of the ASUS board is slightly better for cable routing, and the ram slots don't interfere with the AGP card... The Epox implementation with the need to either bend your GFX card or remove it to change/add ram is just poor planning (sorry holst/ET)

6. The Epox board is cheaper (if overclocking is all about best for a budget then the Epox wins)

7. Both boards have the mounting holes for H20 or Aggressive air coolers.

8. Both boards have VERY poor temp sensors... but only the Epox actually works with MBM5 at present...

9. The ASUS manual is better, and a nice touch is the inclusion of a sticker for your case showing all the jumpers, alleviating the need for the manual in quick installs....

10. The Epox has won me the fastest AMD on the Pifast challenge... Its combination of good Voltage options and stable BIOS (relatively) makes it the board of choice for the extreme overclocker.

Wishes for the future and final thoughts...

The cost of the SPDIF card almost brings the cost of the epox up to the price of the Asus, this i believe was the epox's most serious omission. I hope that Epox continue to give us more options in the bios, and decent HW monitoring for Phase Change addicts like myself.

If you are running high FSB speeds, then you WILL need a fan on the NB (either board) The asus has no holes for mounting an additional HS on the SB... some users have reported high SB temps... mine is fine with just a fan, but I do wonder if that has limited my overall stability... if you fit a decent HS on the SB you will lose at least one PCI slot.

If you have any specific questions about either board, feel free to PM me... I will answer what I can.

Overall NFORCE2 is the chipset of choice, especially if you can handle a few minor teething problems... I cant help think once the bios is sorted, then this board could take AMD back on top of the performance Gaming PC stakes again...

Last edited by Galifrey; 15th December, 2002 at 11:39 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th December, 2002, 11:44 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Front Page stuff!
http://www.aoaforums.com/
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th December, 2002, 11:54 PM

Old 16th December, 2002, 12:23 AM

Good editorial Gal ......... well done bro.
Old 16th December, 2002, 12:24 AM

Great post Galifrey, well done.

Old 16th December, 2002, 12:59 AM

Thanks /me blushes
Old 16th December, 2002, 06:28 AM

Good post Mango!!!!!!!!
Saphire X3870
X-Fi Music Extreme
ATI 650 TV Wonder
Western Digital 74 Raid 0
Western Digital 74
Plextor 716A DVD-RW
Plextor PX116A DVD
Antec P160w/side window 1 120mm Blue Led Fans.
Antec NEO HE 550w PSU
GateWay FP2485W
Vista Ultimate
Old 16th December, 2002, 07:13 AM

great post... I thought I was the first to reply.. but I guess I take too long and someone got before me
Old 16th December, 2002, 07:17 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Pick up the pace EluSiOn, the world marches on! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 16th December, 2002, 07:27 AM

I hate monday... tomorrow is MONDAY.... weekly meeting is tomorrow. It means I have to !$DF@$# .... yeah... everyone hate monday... my pace is too slow this weekend.
Old 16th December, 2002, 08:11 AM

Hah, I got an Exam today.... I hate Mondays also...

38 years old, and I've had more exams this year than I ever took in school!!!
Old 16th December, 2002, 11:09 AM

how high fsb are we talking before active cooling is need on the northbridge of the epox?
athlon xp 2100+ 0301 mpmw @2350mhz 1.75v vantec aeroflow hsf [] epox 8rda+ @ 195 fsb w/ vantec iceburg [] 2 256mb corsair 3200 sync @ 5322 [] audigy platinum [] geforce 3 ti500 [] logitech z-560 speakers [] 19' viewsonic trinitron [] 80gb 8mb cache wd drive [] 80gb 2mb cache seagate [] 450w psu [] silver chieftec w/ 6 case fans
Old 16th December, 2002, 11:22 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Some don't seem to need it all, some at stock speed, no one has come up with why that is, that I know of.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 16th December, 2002, 12:34 PM

hmm i have yet to put my new system together but i have already ordered a northbridge cooler for it anyway, better safe than sorry right?
athlon xp 2100+ 0301 mpmw @2350mhz 1.75v vantec aeroflow hsf [] epox 8rda+ @ 195 fsb w/ vantec iceburg [] 2 256mb corsair 3200 sync @ 5322 [] audigy platinum [] geforce 3 ti500 [] logitech z-560 speakers [] 19' viewsonic trinitron [] 80gb 8mb cache wd drive [] 80gb 2mb cache seagate [] 450w psu [] silver chieftec w/ 6 case fans
Old 16th December, 2002, 02:15 PM

Kudo's on the post Big Fellow.

Pops