AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th December, 2002, 05:19 PM

Pilsy I wasn't checking your grammar lol , I was just making sure some folks don't start looking at the wrong dimm is all. I don't think it should really be an issue, but ya know how it goes bro.

I don't remember giving crap about anyones grammar..... I've done it once I believe, and that was because someone on a forum was calling folks idiots, yet he couldn't even spell. so I made a reference to it.
Old 26th December, 2002, 05:29 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

"I've done it once I believe, and that was because someone on a forum was calling folks idiots, yet he couldn't even spell."

What a Maroon! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th December, 2002, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PiLsY

Regarding clipping a bit off the dimm clip - yes it will fix it but will it void your mobo warranty? That is why I didnt suggest it. My advice would be to not use dimm 1 and to remove the clip altogether. You can do this by opening the clip out to its full extent and pushing towards the mobo a bit while pulling it away from the dimm slot. It will just pop out. You can then clip it back in at any point should you have to return the mobo.

Until Epox gives permission to modify the dimm clips I wouldnt do any permanent mods to the board.

PiLsY.
Good point, i didnt think of that. Of course i void most of my warranties anyway, so i generally dont give it a second thought.

However, i don't THINK that they would refuse you warranty service because you clipped 2mm of plastic off of the dimm clip, although i could be wrong. Would this be a question to ask ET?

Watercooled Barton 2500+ AGOIA-Y @ 2300 (11.5x200) 1.85v
Epox 8RDA
1gb OCZ PC3200, 2-2-2-6
eVGA Geforce 4 TI4400
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th December, 2002, 10:15 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Not ETs area either. I'm sure he would tell you to contact your nearest EPoX office (though "Office" is not the word I'm looking for, perhaps regional office?)
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 27th December, 2002, 12:26 AM

if it is the dimm clip, its still avoidable by making sure the dimm clip is closed before card insertion....

TBH its not rocket science....

Yeah dumb luck as a result of me finding the dimm clip jammed open on my 4g4a, but a learning experience none the less...
Old 27th December, 2002, 04:01 AM

I wouldnt recomend that anybody modifies there board voiding there warranty.

Is this only a problem if the DIMM clip is open as Galifrey says ?

I would, as ever recomend that you are extremely carefull when installing any new hardware, especially large graphics cards and motherboards.

If you do find that your graphics card does interfear with DIMM clips (when there closed) please do contact your branch office to report the problem and ask for advice. Do NOT force the card into the socket or bend it.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 27th December, 2002, 08:11 AM

well, i see now that the FAQ on the epox site now addresses this issue. Basically says be careful. From the picture there it doesnt look like it will be in constant contact though, so that is good.

Epox 8RDA
1gb OCZ PC3200, 2-2-2-6
eVGA Geforce 4 TI4400
Old 27th December, 2002, 11:13 AM

Well im looking at the mobo here with a creative GF4 in and there is CONSTANT contact.

I actually took the card out and checked the tolerances with the card perfectly straight. The top 1/4of a mm of the transistor rests on top of the dimm clip.

When the card is in and a straight edge is laid across the top of it the bend at the very rearmost point of the card is 2.5mms.

Maybe the clips arent manufactured to as tight tolerances as other pc components, and different people have (slightly) different sized clips.

PiLsY.
Old 27th December, 2002, 11:24 AM
AOA Staff (should be working)

Send a message via ICQ to dod Send a message via Yahoo to dod

I've got a creative 4400. There is no contact with the clip on mine, nor did the card need to be bent to install. Strange.
Old 27th December, 2002, 06:33 PM

hmm, that could explain why just a few people have had a problem with it. Heres the pic from the FAQ on the epox site.
http://www.epox.com/motherboard/supp...emory-clip.jpg

Epox 8RDA
1gb OCZ PC3200, 2-2-2-6
eVGA Geforce 4 TI4400
Old 27th December, 2002, 07:23 PM

Right ill get a camera sorted and take a piccy. The clips on the board I noticed this on were at least 3mms closer to the AGP slot (v1.1 board).

PiLsY.
Old 27th December, 2002, 10:59 PM

It's a learning thing

I've been lurking here for a few weeks now trying to decide on which NF2 board to buy. Needless to say this is one thing which caught my attention. First off, I'd like to say I feel for each of you who has lost a GF4 to this situation. Now, on to my views. Epox didn't design this board to murder GF4 cards. I think it far more likely that during testing the ram clips were probably closed thus it was never seen as a problem. I'm sure had they killed a GF4 it would have been identified as a potential problem and corrected. Now that it has been identified, I'm sure Epox will look into it and make adjustments for future boards. The way I look at it is everything is a learning process. Sometimes, lessons are expensive. From day one when I built my 1st 386-33 computer until now I have been learning. Now, with this board, both we and Epox may have learned. I'm sure those who lost a GF4 feel differently and I'm hoping all the cards can be RMA'd with no loss other than time. Placing blame will not rectify the situation but learning from it will prevent it from happening again. I will be joining the Epox ranks as soon as I can find a US retailer who actually has the 8RDA+ in stock. Hmm, must be a popular board!
Old 28th December, 2002, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by WyrmMaster
hmm, that could explain why just a few people have had a problem with it. Heres the pic from the FAQ on the epox site.
http://www.epox.com/motherboard/supp...emory-clip.jpg
yeah but notice how they show the instalation without any memory installed...

Just how are they going to fit it now?

Old 28th December, 2002, 12:06 AM

true, they dont have memory instaled, but the clips will be in the same position with or without memory installed. They will have to remove the card to add the ram however.

Epox 8RDA
1gb OCZ PC3200, 2-2-2-6
eVGA Geforce 4 TI4400
Old 28th December, 2002, 07:39 PM

Both times my cards died had all dimm clips closed an the ram was installed in the dimm 3 even with them closed it bent the card.
9700 pro @440/380 *dead*
9700 pro @410/375 *dead*
3DMark03 (never took the time to really bench. Score with ole 9500np)
3DMark01se
My heatware
XHardware.net
Old 29th December, 2002, 12:47 AM

hmmm

interesting youthemandan.... my 4g4a and 4g4a+ had different dimm clips, perhaps some of them are wider than the ones pictured...

for them to bend the card when closed is a total **** up....

(I starred that myself, but you get the drift)