AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd January, 2003, 09:45 PM

Lightbulb Help With Overclocking

Can someone please give me some help with overclocking my cpu, I got a Soyo Dragon Ultra Platinum kt400 board with an AMD 2200 on there and all I can get it do is 1826 I don't have anymore bright ideas but I do need some help cause this just isn't working for me I got a dragon orb 3 heatsink mounted on it so I am not to worried about heat right now I am running at 36c right now I just want more speed the processor is already unlocked I just need some help with my multiplier and voltage and all this other crazy stuff.

Thanks
Old 2nd January, 2003, 10:31 PM

I don't know much about your specific mobo, but it would help if you could post some other info about your machine - like what RAM, PSU, Vid Card, etc. you have installed?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd January, 2003, 11:47 PM
Member/Contributer

You may need to pump up the voltage a notch or two to get higher overclocks. As Jett suggests, please let us know more about your setup.

Remember, cooling is the Alpha and Omega!
Old 2nd January, 2003, 11:59 PM

Exclamation More info

Sorry, Kinda new at all this fun stuff. Ok I don't know what you need exactly so here goes:
TI 4200 graphics card, 450 watt power supply, 512mb DDR 266
I just threw in another fan on the case and its pulled my chassis temp down to 25c and helping with the airflow on the CPU pulling it down to 32c I am looking to overclock my graphics card also the voltage everything is running at is:
I think my CPU is at 16.5
AGP=1.5
Ram= 2.5

Please Let me know what you can do for me to help I appreciate it
Old 3rd January, 2003, 12:14 AM
Member/Contributer

Oh, I just noticed you are new here, so I forgot an important thing:

WELCOME TO AOA FORUMS!

Back to the problem at hand.

Your CPU is probably running at 1.65V (Certainly not 16.5! hehe)

In order to overclock it you need to either raise the FSB (Front side bus) or the multiplier - or both. Try FSB overclocking first. Just up the FSB a few notches in the bios. Have you already done that? Then see if it will load windows. If it does, test for stability for a while, then restart and enter the BIOS and up the FSB a bit more.

You CPU speed is determined by FSB*multiplier.

Does this help? I'm not exactly sure what advice you are seeking...
Old 3rd January, 2003, 01:35 AM

So far so good everyone I have uped my processor to 2085 mhz at 185 fsb with an 11x multiplier @ 1.85v and I have only gained about 3 degrees celsius in temperature I want to know how far I can take it on this Mobo, just cause soyo claims to say this board is the best for OCing Thanks for everyones help ok I am going to see how much farther I can push it

Last edited by Alreadyfellout; 3rd January, 2003 at 01:39 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd January, 2003, 02:39 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Alreadyfellout
So far so good everyone I have uped my processor to 2085 mhz at 185 fsb with an 11x multiplier @ 1.85v and I have only gained about 3 degrees celsius in temperature I want to know how far I can take it on this Mobo, just cause soyo claims to say this board is the best for OCing Thanks for everyones help ok I am going to see how much farther I can push it
Alreadyfellout, welcome to the wonderful world of overclocking.
Soyos are good boards.. Seems you're on your way already.
Old 3rd January, 2003, 03:39 AM

NO MORE

Ok I pushed it as far as it could go and it can't go any more its at 2.1 something ghz but I had to knock it back down to 2085 cause it was getting HIGHLY unstable but not bad for my first if I do say so myself
Old 3rd January, 2003, 04:50 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Re: NO MORE

Quote:
Ok I pushed it as far as it could go and it can't go any more its at 2.1 something ghz but I had to knock it back down to 2085 cause it was getting HIGHLY unstable but not bad for my first if I do say so myself
And you definitely deserve a pat on the back, WTG!!
FYI... XP2200+ are Thoroughbred A's... and AFAIK, 2+ghz is considered very good on air cooling.

So now that you have all those CPU cycles.... what 'cha gonna do with 'em... huh?

Click on the banner in my sig... why don't you put that overclocked CPU to good use and fold proteins.
Old 3rd January, 2003, 05:02 AM

Just one question do I have to run the folding program all the time and is it gonna lag me for when I play my games online? like Ultima Online and Unreal Tournament 2003
Old 3rd January, 2003, 05:13 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Just one question do I have to run the folding program all the time and is it gonna lag me for when I play my games online? like Ultima Online and Unreal Tournament 2003
Not at all, by default, it only uses idle cycles. When you play games or use any program that starts using CPU cycles, F@H will sit idle in the back ground, and wait for cycles to be free again.

regarding online... When you first set up, it will download a few files, and download your first Work Unit, maybe a few 100K total.. Then, your CPU will process (fold) the WU, and within a day return the completed WU. So the odds of interfering with your connection is remote.... I'm using cable modem, and I don't even notice when it uploads and downloads new WUs.

Last edited by SteveI; 3rd January, 2003 at 05:16 AM.
Old 3rd January, 2003, 05:28 AM

Thumbs up

Thanx for the reply Steve but its a little to late cause I'm just sitting here in my couch in front of my computer folding at home
Old 3rd January, 2003, 11:53 AM
Member/Contributer

Cool dude, welcome to the team!
You should post a new thread in the folding section to let the guys know you joined up! We need all the help we can get.

Thanks for helping us out!
Old 3rd January, 2003, 01:02 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

You could probably get another few MHZ by upgrading your heatsink, orbs look pretty, but are not exactly the best for cooling!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 3rd January, 2003, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alreadyfellout Just one question do I have to run the folding program all the time and is it gonna lag me for when I play my games online? like Ultima Online and Unreal Tournament 2003

Welcome to the forum and to answer the above question. The only thing my system gets used for is Games (Q2, Q3, UT, SOF2) and it folds 24/7. I haven't seen the slightest bit of lag anywhere :-D .

2nd Rig, MSI K7N2 Delta 2, XP-3200 Barton, Global Win CK-38 w/60mm Delta, 9600XT, XP Pro

99% of all computer problems are sitting in front of the monitor But.... so is the Solution!