AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th January, 2003, 05:56 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

WinXP could not find file....

I'm sure more than a few people has seen this message when attempting to boot.

Last night I got this message after replacing my cheap PC2700 with XMS PC3200 memory. OK, my AT7 was running at 189.9 FSB... My HDD didn't like it and lost a few key files. My PCI bus was running fine at this speed. but fine...

I reinstalled on my main machine last night.

Tonight... I just upgraded my daughter's mobo from an ECS to the Epox 8K3A.... ok, I'm using a duron, so I ran 8.5x166.. everything's fine. When I lowered to 8x175, all of a sudden I'm getting random reboots... up'd vdimm on my new sammy 2700... WHAMMOO!! same freaking error... I'm reformatting my daughter's PC as I type (changed to ATA100 in bios, just in case)...

Now... I've always thought this problem was a result of an oc'd PCI bus... but in this case, I was only at 35mhz... Now on a board like the 8k3a, this is highly suspicious. What other factors can cause this? The 40gig maxtor on my daughter's PC was actually once a data HDD for my main box... running at 189FSB, so I'm pretty sure the HDD was tolerant of a whacky PCI bus.

Could the mobo just be sensitive to running out of spec. I just got this board, and the random reboots have me wondering.

Also, the sammy stick is brand new... could that be defective, and causing this?

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
Sorry if I don't respond tonight... First thing in the morning, I do another mobo transplant, this time for an 8k3a+.
Old 11th January, 2003, 06:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to Bushboy

Well I've run 226FSB on my 8K3A+ before, and I have seen others higher so I dont think the board is sensitive at high FSB. What timings are you rinning the mem at? Usually those errors are caused because memory is OCed to far, not because of anything else, as it ends up b0rking your OS. If the stick is brand new, then it could very well be at fault, so I would suggest trying it on another motherboard and see, with the same HDD, same FSB and all.

Also what on earth are you doing OCing your daughter's PC
Old 11th January, 2003, 07:31 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I just came to the same FR#@@#$!@ conclusion!!!

It's a brand new stick of Samsung 256 PC2700.. Apparently at any timings and any (reasonable) voltage, it is only 100% reliable at 166fsb on the nose... at 167 is is intermittent!!!

That is just not cool... Ok, if it topped out in the 170's, I'd be PO'd but I just don't trust this memory. I took my crappy 512 of kingston 2700, and popped it in... it boots, and seems to be doing ok at 190 atm.

I'm really torn.... I may try to return this stick... If it's dying at 167 (slow timings AND 2.7v), I don't think I trust them at 266 indefinitely.

EDIT: I forgot to thank you Bushboy, I appreciate it... It also explains what happened last night with my XMS 3200 @ 189fsb.... grrrr, under spec. I bought both of these sticks from Nutrend... If the XMS doesn't shape up I'm returning both of them. Good night.

Last edited by SteveI; 11th January, 2003 at 07:37 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th January, 2003, 08:02 AM

Good night and good luck with your RMAs...a bad clocking stick of RAM is as good as a fried one
Old 11th January, 2003, 04:02 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Bushboy
Good night and good luck with your RMAs...a bad clocking stick of RAM is as good as a fried one
woohoo!! it's kinda sick, but I popped the sammy stick back in to try memtest... at 166fsb and SLOWEST settings @ 2.5 &2.6v it FAILS all over the place in test #4. So it's not marginal, it's DEFECTIVE...

I'm running the test again with my 'crappy' Kingston 512, cas 2.5 (all else fastest timings) @2.7v 193FSB.... seems like it's passing, so it's not the mobo, or the CPU.

Later in the day, I'm gonna put my XMS 3200 on the same rig to test the memory... Hopefully, I'll get the promised 200fsb cas2-3-3-6-1... The other night's crash at 189 makes me wonder tho. What are the odds of getting 2 defective sticks at the same time.... both quality brand from a quality shop.
Old 13th January, 2003, 05:15 AM

Your XMS 3200 uses PC2700 chips btw.

BF.
Old 13th January, 2003, 05:54 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Well, it doesn't matter, as far as I'm concerned.
It failed at 200mhz, and the GUARANTEED settings at 2.55v. It managed to pass at 2.65v, but as far as I'm concerned, it is defective. I'm RMAing both, with no ounce of guilt. I demanded a full refund, and I'm going with crucials... PC2700s.. For some reason, I'm confident they will run well, and even overclock a bit...
Old 13th January, 2003, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bait_Fish
Your XMS 3200 uses PC2700 chips btw.

BF.
And both sticks I've owned have managed to run over 230mhz The RAM is definately capable of doing more, so it seems that it's not performing as it should.