AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th January, 2003, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bondo
Right after the holes, or in the middle of them?
I did it right between the holes.

It shouldn't be that critical though. The idea is just to break the connection to the resistor. I still advise against cutting the pin directly.
Old 19th January, 2003, 11:51 PM

Over 8 hours since last reboot at 1.975v....

EDIT: Before anybody asks... intended reboot not a shutdown.
Attached Thumbnails
Why cant i use a higher vcore than 1.9?!-scrncap.jpg  

Last edited by Photon; 19th January, 2003 at 11:59 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th January, 2003, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Photon

One thing to keep in mind...

There can be other reasons for the shutdowns. What kind of temps are you getting at 2500Mhz on the other board? The 8RDA will watch the AXP's internal diode and shutdown based on that too (who knows what temp). The reported temp is from a diode under the CPU socket.

The real bummer is that I don't think any of these shutdown circuits can be adjusted through the BIOS (assuming Epox would adjust them for us). They are designed as simple, brute force circuits, they have no logic that the BIOS can talk to.

DH,

Don't get discouraged yet. You've eliminated the overcurrent circuit as the cause of the shutdowns, maybe try looking at other causes. Run a log in MBM and see what Vcore looks like at shutdown. Is there a big drop (or rise)?
The cpu is water cooled. I see around 38 c idle 40 or so loaded.
The thing is one guy already shielded his diode on the anode side and it still shut down. I think it's the vcore VRM sensing something wrong. It may be a bios fix if the auto shut down is not really disabled when set so or it's not calibrated in code correctly.

Last edited by Bondo; 20th January, 2003 at 12:10 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th January, 2003, 12:07 AM

Yeah, this is strange. Been running 2.2V for almost all night long at stock speeds. Haven't tried 159x11,5 yet (which I know works 100% stable). And I believe my temps are fine, quite high for TEC cooling but anyway thats because I'm not cooling the water enough.
Old 20th January, 2003, 12:17 AM

There can be two reasons (at least) it doesn't shutdown at stock speeds running 2.2v....

Less heat is the first. But assuming heat is under control, you are using much less power (power = current x voltage) at stock speeds. If you leave the voltage the same, but increase the CPU speed, your current and power will quickly climb. That's what eventually led me to start looking at the overcurrent protection.

Bondo, that was me that tried the wire insulation on the CPU pin. It was something I tried earlier in the thread before I tried this mod.
Old 20th January, 2003, 12:22 AM

Oh OK.

Well if I can't fix this problem, I have to RMA hence the name of the board, "The 8RMA+"
Old 20th January, 2003, 12:41 AM

Well, I find it hard to be a temp issue. Now running 159x11,5 and 2,0V and my temp is just as high as when it shuted down before only this time it doesn't. I haven't done anything but installing a few fans blowing on the voltage regulator.
Old 20th January, 2003, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by reverend
Well, I find it hard to be a temp issue. Now running 159x11,5 and 2,0V and my temp is just as high as when it shuted down before only this time it doesn't. I haven't done anything but installing a few fans blowing on the voltage regulator.
I don't think it's a just temp problem in most cases. It certainly wasn't in my case. I could see where maybe it's more than one problem working against you though, it could be the overcurrent protection AND a hot regulator. Or maybe a weak power supply AND the overcurrent protection. It can take a while and be difficult to eliminate the possibilities.

If possible, you may want to RMA your board. If you get a new one back with the same problem and you really want to stick with the 8RDA, the mod is always a choice again later.
Old 20th January, 2003, 01:11 AM

Think i'll just stick with this one. It's really a great board and vcore seems to work now. Sure, could be my power supply, 340W Chieftec, aint much nowadays...
Old 20th January, 2003, 03:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to DisposableHero

i doubt you'll break the mobo anyway by trying his mod... i did it to mine and had no negative or positive effects....

im gonna try to rma mine anyways...

| AMD XP 1700+ @ 2.75 2.05v | Prometeia | Epox 8RDA+ | 512m Corsair DDR @ 211 DC | ATi 9500 @ 9700 - 400/630 | Antec sx1040b | 80gig WD |

-METALLICA-
Old 20th January, 2003, 03:23 AM

Guess what? My friend just set up his system and he has the SAME problem. Anything over 1.90v and it just shuts down.

I wonder if all the Vcore VRM's are in the same place? Where is yours located?
Old 20th January, 2003, 03:55 AM

It's a 36 pin chip next to the MOSFETS, just behind the PS/2 connectors. The part number on the top is IRU3055.

Tell him to RMA the board before trying this. He might get a good board.
Old 20th January, 2003, 04:08 AM

Ok that's the same place mine is then. I put a 80mm fan over the VRM and mosfets and it made no difference.
Old 20th January, 2003, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by reverend
Think i'll just stick with this one. It's really a great board and vcore seems to work now. Sure, could be my power supply, 340W Chieftec, aint much nowadays...

ET & Holst,

This is how much we like this board, we want to keep it and make it work even with this problem. In that regard, this board really deserves a thumbs up.

We all know that cutting traces on a new board is not the answer though. This is an opportunity for Epox to step up and really address the problem and make a good lasting impression in the minds of overclockers. A good opportunity to build brand loyalty. We are your customers, what benefits us, benefits you.

We would really appreciate whatever you can do to remedy this situation.
Old 20th January, 2003, 04:25 AM

Yes, what can we do but RMA the RMA?
Old 20th January, 2003, 05:56 AM

This shows where I made the cut...
Attached Thumbnails
Why cant i use a higher vcore than 1.9?!-iru3055.jpg  
Old 20th January, 2003, 09:20 AM

right in front of all those little resistors right?

| AMD XP 1700+ @ 2.75 2.05v | Prometeia | Epox 8RDA+ | 512m Corsair DDR @ 211 DC | ATi 9500 @ 9700 - 400/630 | Antec sx1040b | 80gig WD |

-METALLICA-
Old 20th January, 2003, 09:26 AM

im gonna rma this POS.. lol

-METALLICA-
Old 20th January, 2003, 10:12 AM

http://213.114.243.134/vcore.jpg

EPoX!
Old 20th January, 2003, 10:57 AM

Reverend,

Did you do the mod?

Can you run Prime at those settings?