AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th January, 2003, 12:59 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Fluffythesheep

N00B needing suggestions :)

My System Specs are

Jetway v266B, AMD XP1800+, 512DDR 2100 with a coolmaster heating (standard Crap one)
Leadtek GeFroce4 Ti4200
Audigy 2 Platinum
2 NIC's
20gig Fujitsu
60gig Maxtor (i think)

Anyway i was thinking of overclocking my cpu and my GF4 and i was wondering what would be the best way for each.

First i was wondering if there is a specific program i should use to put my comp under load so i can find out what its max temp is atm. Ive tried running 3DMark a couple of times and the hotest it gets is about 50c

Ive tried a little bit of tweaking so far in the way of upping my fsb from 133 to 140 and when i run 3Dmark a few times the temp doesnt seem to go any higher than when it was set at 133.

Anyway i was thinking of getting the thermalright SLK-800 Heatsink but i cant find it cheap enough . can anone point me in the right direction in the UK that is.

Ive also had an attempt at tweaking my GF4 with the winfox software that comes with it i upped the MHZ of the GPU and the DDR by 20mhz but it didnt seem to make any improvement.

I was hopeing someone could suggest to me the safest way of tweaking both my MB and my GF4 ( i dont want to mod my graphics card though). and what apps i should use etc

Many thanks
Fluffy
Old 16th January, 2003, 02:55 PM
AOA Staff (should be working)

Send a message via ICQ to dod Send a message via Yahoo to dod

For the card look here Personally I like coolbits but others swear by Rivatuner etc. Coolbits is simple but the other programs give more options.

For monitoring temps etc use mbm from here I used to have a Jetway board though and MBM didn't like it. Dont know if yours is compatible or not. Even if its not don't worry, it wont break anything you'll just get incorrect readings. For example mine always showed system and cpu temps of 117C regardless of which sensors I used. Jetway also have a monitor on their website but I dont remember exactly where now. Unfortunately it didn't work with my board either.

Looking at how to tweak your board it looks like you've already started. If your cpu is still locked you will only be able to increase the fsb. Increase slowly and once it becomes unstable it will either be the memory or the cpu unable to handle the extra speed. Unfortunately with a locked cpu its difficult to tell which. If your cooling's up to it increase the vcore/vdimm slightly and retest.

Good luck
Old 17th January, 2003, 12:15 AM
Member/Contributer

Hey Fluffy, the only place I've seen the SLK-800 on sale in the UK is at Overclockers.co.uk. Its not cheap either, about £45. You'll need a decent fan too, most people see to go for the TT Smart Fan II. Try Overclock.co.uk for that, £12 I think.

Good luck!

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!