AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st January, 2003, 05:17 PM

I think i made a dumb mistake

Well, I ordered a new mobo an Epox 8rda+. i also ordered memory too corsair pc 2700 cas2. unfortunately It slipped my mind at the time to order the XMS memory and i ordered just the plain pc 2700 memory. It is too late to cancel the order though i may be able to RMA it although i really dont want to considering the company i ordered from has taken 2 weeks so far to process and ship.
My question is : with PC 2700 is it going to be that much of a performance difference? I know the XMS memory is 17 dollars more. but that wouldnt necessarily be the issue . the problem would be if i did rma it for the XMS stuff it would take longer than a month to work it out during which time i would have NO PC. im not confident that XMS pc2700 and regular pc2700 would make that much of a difference, but please enlighten me! thanks
G.
Old 21st January, 2003, 05:37 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Wth out seeing exactly what you ordered it would be hard to tell you what the difference is. Most likely the 2700 is CL2.5 where the XMS is CL2. As they are both rated at 2700 I wouldn't send it back just yet. Wait til you get the board and see what the RAM can do. You may get lucky. With PC2700 RAM it will most likely be the limiting factor of overclocking your FSB. You will just have to use a higher multiplyer and a lower FSB. It won't be that bad of a performance hit.

And since both stick are PC2700 then there is no garuntee that the XMS will do any better. PC3200 would assure you that RAM wouldn't be the limiting factor for your FSB up to 200MHz. If it is then you can RMA it.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st January, 2003, 05:45 PM

re

thanks for the reply, Actually my proc has a 266 fsb(XP 2400+)
im only interested in getting this particular proc up to 166 to complement the pc 2700 . im a little dubious of the northbridge cooling on my 8rda+ though and im kinda worried about ocing. i have a V7+ on my cpu but i have no options for my SPP northbridge or southbridge chips. im going to tr to pluch that HS off the NB and put some arctic silver on it because im not so sure about modding my mobo for a fan there.
Old 24th January, 2003, 03:10 AM

gdeman , I think you might be confusing FSB with DDR buspeed. xp2400+ cpu is recommended to be run@133FSB but I and others run them at 200FSB and above.The xp2400+ will be unlocked on 8RDA+ , so you can choose your multiplier and FSB and run your memory the same speed but doubled (synchronous) or different (asynchronous). The North Bridge heatsink removes easily if you pinch the plastic hold-downs from the bottom side of the motherboard and remove them , then carefully twist the heatsink. If you do a search for "Vantec" and then look at their site for the "Iceberq" (ends with a "Q") , it is active cooling (with a fan) you won't have to modify anything , it fits , the holes line up , and even comes with thermal compound and a couple of passive heatsinks , 1 for your SouthBridge , 1 for your VGA (if needed) that get installed with supplied thermal tape.
About the memory ,you can always upgrade it later and when you do get the best you can . What type ? Search this Forum and others and see what people are having the best results using. Best is not always most expensive.
bob
THERMALRIGHT SLK900u 92mm Zalman fan, Enlight 420 watt, AIW 9000 Pro 64mb DDR agp4x, voltage mod 1.85v
Home made NB cooler
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!