AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 6th August, 2003, 03:02 PM

Cool ShakenNstirred

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenNstirred
1 mem slot = 64bit (single channel)
mem slots 2 & 3 = 64bit (single channel)
mem slots 1 & 2 = 128bit (dual channel)
mem slots 1 & 3 = 128bit (dual channel)
all 3 mem slots = 128bit (dual channel) will not run in 64bit(single channel) mode
thats on the 8RDA+

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

are the Epox boards different than the ABIT's????

generally, this is how it works, DIMM 3 is furthest from the CPU and dual channel will run 1 & 3, 2 & 3, or 1, 2 & 3 all populated.

single channel runs in any of the slots with only one module, and if you populate 1 & 2, you still have single channel.

most boards become severely limited with max clockage when populating all three slots, and some won't even run right with all three populated.

it all comes down to bandwidth, how much do you want or need??

baldy
Old 6th August, 2003, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldegle2
...generally, this is how it works, DIMM 3 is furthest from the CPU and dual channel will run 1 & 3, 2 & 3, or 1, 2 & 3 all populated....single channel runs in any of the slots with only one module, and if you populate 1 & 2, you still have single channel.
most boards become severely limited with max clockage when populating all three slots, and some won't even run right with all three populated....
I don't think that's correct. I'm not simply contradicting you for the sake of it, but I beleive Duall DDR works in the following configurations;
First, all Dual DDR motherboard have four DIMMs.
DIMM's 1 & 3 or 2 & 4 = 128-bit or Sync mode. Using three sticks will drop the system back to async, and one stick is always async. Your correct in so far as populating DIMM's 1 & 2 = async, and also populating DIMM's 3 & 4 = async as well.

Ergo, there's only three possible configurations in which Dual DDR or Twinbank 128-bit will occur. Populating DIMM's 1 & 3, 2 & 4, or populating all four DIMM's = two channels in sync mode.

Last edited by Liquid3D; 6th August, 2003 at 04:46 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th August, 2003, 05:09 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Soul99

I don't think that's correct. I'm not simply contradicting you for the sake of it, but I beleive you are mistaken about Dual DDR in the following way.

First,1 Dual DDR motherboard you have seen has four DIMMs, the rest of the AMD boards have 3.

I think its the P4 chipsets that mostly have 4 slots.

LOL

sorry just had to point that out.

Last edited by Soul99; 6th August, 2003 at 05:25 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th August, 2003, 05:25 PM

testing sig >:P
AOA Team fah
Old 6th August, 2003, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid3D
I don't think that's correct. I'm not simply contradicting you for the sake of it, but I beleive Duall DDR works in the following configurations;
First, all Dual DDR motherboard have four DIMMs.
DIMM's 1 & 3 or 2 & 4 = 128-bit or Sync mode. Using three sticks will drop the system back to async, and one stick is always async. Your correct in so far as populating DIMM's 1 & 2 = async, and also populating DIMM's 3 & 4 = async as well.

Ergo, there's only three possible configurations in which Dual DDR or Twinbank 128-bit will occur. Populating DIMM's 1 & 3, 2 & 4, or populating all four DIMM's = two channels in sync mode.
Maybe your thining of dual ddr intel systems? Sorry noticed this had already been mention above but one!
Old 6th August, 2003, 06:00 PM

Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

are the Epox boards different than the ABIT's????
yes.

[quote][b]generally, this is how it works, DIMM 3 is furthest from the CPU and dual channel will run 1 & 3, 2 & 3, or 1, 2 & 3 all populated.

Quote:
single channel runs in any of the slots with only one module, and if you populate 1 & 2, you still have single channel.

yes, for the abit nf7 series.

Quote:
most boards become severely limited with max clockage when populating all three slots, and some won't even run right with all three populated.

yes.

yeah the Epox's nforce2 board's DCDDR/SCDDR dimm slots layout is different than the Abit NF7 series.
ATi X1950XTX 512 CrossFire
Triple WD Raptor 10k HDDs@ raid 0
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PHD7UY
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PH9UK
BetterCable SilverSerpent SVGA & DVI-D
Sony BWU-100A Blu-Ray PC Drive

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
conroe - superPi - 14 sec.
Old 6th August, 2003, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever
yes.

[/b]
yes, for the abit nf7 series.

[/b]
yes.

yeah the Epox's nforce2 board's DCDDR/SCDDR dimm slots layout is different than the Abit NF7 series.
How are they different? On mine iif I put a two ddr dimms leaving the middle one empty they both are dual channel
Old 6th August, 2003, 06:19 PM

I have an 8RDA3+ and an NF7-s here infront of me.
On the epox board, it is dimm 2 + 3 that are next to each other and share a single channel.
On the abit board, it is dimm 1 + 2 that are next to each other and share a single channel.

At the end of the day, physically they are the same, its just the print on the PCB telling you dimm 1+2 3 or 3+2 1.
AOA Team fah
Old 6th August, 2003, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul99
I have an 8RDA3+ and an NF7-s here infront of me.
On the epox board, it is dimm 2 + 3 that are next to each other and share a single channel.
On the abit board, it is dimm 1 + 2 that are next to each other and share a single channel.
yes.

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
Old 6th August, 2003, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradmax57
How are they different? On mine iif I put a two ddr dimms leaving the middle one empty they both are dual channel
i thought this had been talked about before.. do you remember?

Read this. Abit NF7 v1.1, dual ddr question, im a bit confused Look at your reply in the sixth & seventh post from the last post in that page, and look at my reply in the last 3~ 4 posts in that page.

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.

Last edited by whatever; 6th August, 2003 at 07:54 PM.
Old 6th August, 2003, 08:38 PM

Cool whatever

i did ask this question first, then continued with postage.

'are the Epox boards different than the ABIT's????'

thanks for the answer on the config, noted and hopefully remembered with future postages.

just passin' along what i knew for sure.

baldy
Old 6th August, 2003, 08:42 PM

Quote:
i did ask this question first, then continued with postage.

'are the Epox boards different than the ABIT's????'

thanks for the answer on the config, noted and hopefully remembered with future postages.

just passin' along what i knew for sure.

baldy
ahhhh i see what you mean. Sorry about jumping into conclusion. You know very well in all this. I respect you. sorry

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
Old 6th August, 2003, 11:48 PM

Quote:
i thought this had been talked about before.. do you remember?

Read this. Abit NF7 v1.1, dual ddr question, im a bit confused Look at your reply in the sixth & seventh post from the last post in that page, and look at my reply in the last 3~ 4 posts in that page.
Sure do m8 maybe you hold some resentment? maybe you are angry? just wanted to point the fact that to this person aslong as the centre dimm slot was free he'd be dual channel, maybe its amazing you remember so far back, but now I have the abit board !
Old 7th August, 2003, 12:02 AM

Quote:
ahhhh i see what you mean. Sorry about jumping into conclusion. You know very well in all this. I respect you. sorry
you dont know sugar mate
Old 7th August, 2003, 02:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:
you dont know sugar mate
I believe... you misunderstood what he meant. You need to step back and read again, *mate*.

bldegle2 seemed to know this pretty well(for abit part), so I gave him credit for it and apologized to him for underestimating him. This is what I call "manners". What is wrong with that? Just because I said this to him doesn't mean you get to quote me and tell me I don't know *sugar*. Well sorry m8, I think I know more than just sugar im afraid. Quoting me is okay, but the content in your reply is a bit sound like you're saying I really don't know jack about this, and I suppose you know it all, lol.... yeah, of course. {sarcasm}.

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.

Last edited by whatever; 7th August, 2003 at 07:16 AM.
Old 7th August, 2003, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Sure do m8 maybe you hold some resentment? maybe you are angry? just wanted to point the fact that to this person aslong as the centre dimm slot was free he'd be dual channel, maybe its amazing you remember so far back, but now I have the abit board !

resentment?.. angry??.... sounds like you're the one holding anger.

no, I've posted that in case you or other readers are confused with the Dimm slot configurations labeled by Epox and Abit. I remember someone(you know who) mentioned it is my Abit manual being "mis-printed" with the dimm slot layouts? No? .. At least admit what mistakes you've made instead of defending so much.

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.

Last edited by whatever; 7th August, 2003 at 07:19 AM.
Old 7th August, 2003, 05:17 AM

Let me give a little bit of speech for ya.

The dimm slots labeling for the DCDDR/SCDDR is different in the Epox and Abit Nforce2 boards. There has been many people who were a bit confused which slots are for the Dual channel and what for the Single channel. In order to clearly identify which dimm slots should have the memory modules placed, follow your manufacturer's manual. I have mentioned this many times, their labeling for the dimm slots are different. At first, you claimed the Epox's dimm slot locations and labeling is the same Abit's, which is incorrect. The best way to do is to refer to your manufactuer's manual for DCDDR or SCDDR configurations. You telling me leaving one stick of ram in the middle slot unattended don't mean much. There are more than one way to make 128bit DCDDR and 64bit SCDDR. These had already been talked about right here in this thread, by other members. Remember, refer to your manual, not your guestimation. And no, my abit manual isn't mis-printed, nor the dimm slot labeling is the same as Epox's. This is what makes Epox different than the Abit board. Labeling the dimm slots differently cause a lot of confusion for the people. That's what I've been talking about. What bldegle2 has said in his post is correct for the Abit boards. The guy before bldegle2 replied is correct too. The dimm slots numbering for the Epox had been mentioned, as well as the Abit versions right there.

Quote:
Now you see why I've replied to you with a link that talked about the same subject?.. You asked me this, "How are they different", well, I replied to you. All I did was a reply with a "link" enclosed, and you got offended, so easily. So I don't see why you need to ask me "How are they different". I've already explained this to you in that link. You should've understood by then.

Quote:
but now I have the abit board !

well well well now you just got the new abit nforce2 board, you have a lot to learn about the board, *mate*.

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.

Last edited by whatever; 7th August, 2003 at 07:38 AM.
Old 7th August, 2003, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Let me give a little bit of speech for ya.

The dimm slots labeling for the DCDDR/SCDDR is different in the Epox and Abit Nforce2 boards. There has been many people who were a bit confused which slots are for the Dual channel and what for the Single channel. In order to clearly identify which dimm slots should have the memory modules placed, follow your manufacturer's manual. I have mentioned this many times, their labeling for the dimm slots are different. At first, you claimed the Epox's dimm slot locations and labeling is the same Abit's, which is incorrect. The best way to do is to refer to your manufactuer's manual for DCDDR or SCDDR configurations. You telling me leaving one stick of ram in the middle slot unattended don't mean much. There are more than one way to make 128bit DCDDR and 64bit SCDDR. These had already been talked about right here in this thread, by other members. Remember, refer to your manual, not your guestimation. And no, my abit manual isn't mis-printed, nor the dimm slot labeling is the same as Epox's. This is what makes Epox different than the Abit board. Labeling the dimm slots differently cause a lot of confusion for the people. That's what I've been talking about. What bldegle2 has said in his post is correct for the Abit boards. The guy before bldegle2 replied is correct too. The dimm slots numbering for the Epox had been mentioned, as well as the Abit versions right there.

Now you see why I've replied to you with a link that talked about the same subject?.. You asked me this, "How are they different", well, I replied to you. All I did was a reply with a "link" enclosed, and you got offended, so easily. So I don't see why you need to ask me "How are they different". I've already explained this to you in that link. You should've understood by then.

[/b]
well well well now you just got the new abit nforce2 board, you have a lot to learn about the board, *mate*.
Whatever!
Old 11th August, 2003, 04:56 AM

For what it is worth, The Epox manual for the 8RDA+ rev. 1.0 ( I bought it 12/02/02) had a misprint concerning dual-channel configuration. There was an addendum sheet shipped with the motherboard.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Will you still get the benefits of DUAL-DDR if you populate all 3 DIMM slots?-addendum.jpg  
THERMALRIGHT SLK900u 92mm Zalman fan, Enlight 420 watt, AIW 9000 Pro 64mb DDR agp4x, voltage mod 1.85v
Home made NB cooler
AOA Team fah
Old 11th August, 2003, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbob2469
For what it is worth, The Epox manual for the 8RDA+ rev. 1.0 ( I bought it 12/02/02) had a misprint concerning dual-channel configuration. There was an addendum sheet shipped with the motherboard.
Bob
TY Bro