AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 27th January, 2003, 12:08 AM

Question Will you still get the benefits of DUAL-DDR if you populate all 3 DIMM slots?

Say,

You place DIMM1 = 256 stick
DIMM2 = 256 stick
DIMM3 = 256 stick

Old 27th January, 2003, 12:13 AM

The asus board claims so, bench mark to find out
Old 27th January, 2003, 01:34 AM

3 sticks work as well
however there is one drawback:
you have 3 slots for 2 channels.
slot 1&2 = channel 1
slot 3 = channel 2

if the amount of memory in one channel is bigger then in the other channel, only the amount of memory in teh smaller channel times two is run in twinbank mode (128bit). the remaining ram is run in 64bit mode.

example:
slot 1&2 have a 512MB module in each slot:
channel 1 = 1024 MB
slot 3 has a 512MB module as well:
channel 2 = 512MB

channel 2 has only 512mb of ram *2 = 1024 in 128bit mode, the remaing 512mb of channel 1 are run in 64 bit.

example 2
slot 1&2 have a 128MB module in each slot:
channel 1 = 256 MB
slot 3 has a 512MB module :
channel 2 = 512MB

channel 1 has only 256mb of ram *2 = 512 in 128bit mode, the remaing 256mb of channel 2 are run in 64 bit.

[bold]example 3:
slot 1&2 have a 256MB module in each slot:
channel 1 = 512 MB
slot 3 has a 512MB module:
channel 2 = 512MB

channel 2 and channel 1 have the same amount of memory so the whole ram is in 128bit mode.

example 4
slot 1 has a 512MB module, slot 2 is empty
channel 1 = 512MB
slot 3 has a 512MB module:
channel 2 = 512MB

channel 2 and channel 1 have the same amount of memory (1GB) so the whole ram is in 128bit mode. [/bold]

hope this helps....

all default:http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5585945
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th January, 2003, 01:53 AM

Yep that certainly helps poudaman The explanation you gave certainly makes sense.

Thanks man.
Old 27th January, 2003, 04:17 PM

If this is indeed the case then that is excellent news for myself

I am looking into buying a nforce2 mthbrd, I already have a stick of 512MB Corsair PC3200 ram. My concerns was if i got another stick of 512Mb would it 'sit' well with the stick i already got.

With what poudaman is saying is that i could instead buy 2x256MB TwinCorsair modules instaed of 1 512MB module and stick them in with my mobo. If I get lucky and they all work fine together, if im not so lucky i will at least have 2 sticks which have already been tested as compatible workin together in a nforce2 mobo and i can sell the other stick of 512MB, and still have dual channel performance in the mean time.

:-D

Now i just need futher re-assurances about this from somone else......not that i dont trust what u are saying poudaman , but it would make me feel better.

Hello epox guys, if one of you look over this thread or if someone could bring this thread to their attention. Is what is being said here correct?

Hope we get an official response on this one

back 2 wrk
L8rs
Old 28th January, 2003, 06:35 PM

If you run 3 sticks of memory then slots 1 and 2 run as one bank and slot 3 runs as the second bank.

There shouldt be any performance drop from from running 3 sticks, although you cant run tripple bank so you wont get any gains :P

having said that overclocking performance may be affeted by running 3 sticks as may the max timings you can run.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th January, 2003, 06:46 AM

Thnxs for the response Holst,

Looks like im gonna be one of the first to try this configuration out once i get the parts together. Ill post my results when i get them.
Has anyone else actualy tried this? Any more info on this would most definatley be welcome.

Thanxs again
Old 30th January, 2003, 03:04 AM

I was considering getting another 256Mb after running my old PC2100 512Mb @ 166FSB with my new twinmos and finding that switching between apps was alot smoother. No hard disk access.

From what [FuK]poudaman says then there will be a benifit to having both banks with the same amount of RAM. The only downside is that the 512Mb is not meant to be as great an overclocker as the 256Mb twinmos. At the moment my board is the limiting factor at 202FSB with stock Vdd.

Question is (which is probably unanswerable unless you actually test it) what will allow the greater performance - 3 * 256Mb at elevated FSB or the proper mirroring of bank 1 and bank 2.
Old 4th March, 2003, 12:36 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dragonfly

Dual Channel Problem

Guys, I really need some urgent help... I got the EpoX 8RDA+ board...

I got 2 Kingmax DDR400 256MB DDRRAM...

When I use Slot 1 and 2 or Slot 1 and 3, I can't boot my overclocked system...

If I were to use the Slot 2 and 3, it works prefectly...

EpoX 8RDA+
AMD Athlon XP 1700++ Rev. B OC to 2400++
256MB X 2 Kingmax DDR400
ATI FireGL 8800 128DDR
Western Digital 80G - 8MB Cache
Lian Li PC70
Old 4th March, 2003, 05:15 PM

Does slot one work on its own?
Old 4th March, 2003, 05:40 PM

I've currently OC my system from a 1700++ to 2400++ with no stablity problem...

2 kingmax DDR400 256MB DDR

166 FSB, memory running at DDR400, RAM settings - 6,3,3,3

Voltage used ... CPU - 1.925, AGP 1.5, RAM 2.9...

Ran prime95 without any problem

I can't utilize slot 1 and 2 together or slot 1 and 3.... it however runs fine on 2 and 3

Please advice....

help help help ...

all slot works... but i cannot use the OC settings using only slot 1 ... or slot 1 plus either 2 or 3...

EpoX 8RDA+
256MB X 2 Kingmax DDR400
ATI FireGL 8800 128DDR
Lian Li PC70
Old 4th March, 2003, 07:53 PM

I replied to your email BTW. Ah I see now. Slot 1 is the one on its own. This slot must be used with one/both of the other slots to utilise dual channel. I have heard that running one stick on its own with give a higher overclock than using two slots.

You say you cant use overclock settings while using slot 1 on its own or slot 1 and another slot; this would point to there being a "defect" with slot 1! I am not sure if others would agree with me, and I know that some people will say that if you can run at 166Mhz dual channel then that is all the board is rated at. There is not a great deal to be gained from dual channel at the end of the day. If you are held back by slot one the probably avoiding it altogether would be the best course. You should test the memory bandwidth scores using SiSandra and then you will see which has the highest bandwidth.

The only way to "fix" slot 1 is by RMAing it, but as I said its a delicate issue for some! I have never tested a single slot so I have no idea if I have a good slot or a bad one, or even which is the best.
Old 4th March, 2003, 08:54 PM
Banned

Re: Dual Channel Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by dragonfly
Guys, I really need some urgent help... I got the EpoX 8RDA+ board...

I got 2 Kingmax DDR400 256MB DDRRAM...

When I use Slot 1 and 2 or Slot 1 and 3, I can't boot my overclocked system...

If I were to use the Slot 2 and 3, it works prefectly...
Before RMAing it. Try clearing the CMOS. When I installed ram in slots 1&2 or 1&3 I would gethte C1 error. I just cleared teh CMOS and then it booted without any errors.
Old 5th March, 2003, 03:47 AM

Re: Re: Dual Channel Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by refermadness

Before RMAing it. Try clearing the CMOS. When I installed ram in slots 1&2 or 1&3 I would gethte C1 error. I just cleared teh CMOS and then it booted without any errors.

Okie... to get one thing clear first... what's RMAing? hehehe

slot 1 + 2 or slot 1 + 3 works fine if i don't overclock...

everything starts going way bad when i started my OC...

sometimes C1, C5 etc...

using slot 2 + 3 works fine even with OC...

btw if dual channel doesn''t really help much... then we could all just forget this problem haha

regards... thanks for the replies

EpoX 8RDA+
256MB X 2 Kingmax DDR400
ATI FireGL 8800 128DDR
Lian Li PC70
Old 6th March, 2003, 01:15 AM

Yo dudes i replied in this thread a while ago.

Look in my sig for my current config.

Im fortunate enuff to be able to run this config up to 210mhz but choose not to seeing i have no active cooling on my Nb or Sb.
Old 6th March, 2003, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dresuk
Yo dudes i replied in this thread a while ago.

Look in my sig for my current config.

Im fortunate enuff to be able to run this config up to 210mhz but choose not to seeing i have no active cooling on my Nb or Sb.
Hm... looking at your specs... should i get another 512mb just to fill up channel one and 2 with the same amount of ram to run dual channel ddr perfecly?

EpoX 8RDA+
256MB X 2 Kingmax DDR400
ATI FireGL 8800 128DDR
Lian Li PC70
Old 6th March, 2003, 03:28 PM

Hmm I c we share very similar hardware. I can also c from your sig that you use 3d apps, hence the need for lots of ram, same here

Anyway when u populate all three dimms it really is down to some good fortune abt the stability and performance you will get from your system. I have come to this conclusion from reading about other peeps experiences and my own.

If you buy another stick 512mb ram make sure you buy exactly the same type! It will help make sure you get the best results from populating all three dimms.

But like i said it is down to a certain degree of luck. If you are confident then go ahead give it a go, if you will have good results whilst overclocking I have no idea. Use the config I am running as shown in my sig.

Gluck I hope you as fortunate as I.

Last edited by dresuk; 6th March, 2003 at 03:31 PM.
Old 7th March, 2003, 04:28 PM

thanks... I think i'll stick to whatever i have now... cause downtime means bad bad bad.... anyways, thanks for everything...

how is it possible to reach 3-2-2-2? need the best rams around?

regards

EpoX 8RDA+
256MB X 2 Kingmax DDR400
ATI FireGL 8800 128DDR
Lian Li PC70
Old 8th March, 2003, 10:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to camisade Send a message via Yahoo to camisade

Question Dual channel possibility? And OCing?

The Epox motherboard says that for dual channel, keeping both DIMMs of the same size and type are "preferred." Will I still see a benefit if I have two PC2700 DIMMs, but one is 512MB and the other is 256MB?

Also, can someone provide a link to a guide for "moderate" overclocking of this system? For example, I'm running the 8RDA+ with an Athlon XP 1800+ and PC2700 memory. I have the FSB set to 133. Now, that Athlon processor has an FSB of 166, but apparently that doesn't mean I can just set the 8RDA+ to 166 FSB, since when I do that the system dies and won't come back without a CMOS reset.

So, what kind of FSB should I able to run (with very good stability) with this confirmation and is there a guide for the settings that I have to tweak to get there?

Thanks!
Old 9th March, 2003, 04:54 AM

FSB * multiplier = CPU speed

166Mhz * 9.5 = 1577Mhz

My settings are :
http://www.doomiii.pwp.blueyonder.co...AdvChipset.jpg

Keep the memory timings loose i.e. 7 3 3 2.5. The important thing is the 100%.