AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th January, 2003, 09:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to RobertC

leaking capacitator

ok, I have a Giga-byte 7vrxp that I was going to get rid of now that I have 8rda and another one the way, but when I went to go pull out the 7vrxp I noticed a capacitator had leaked and it was dried and crusted onto the mobo, I was planning to sell this and I dont want to screw over the person that I sell it to? is RMAing this a must? because it has been running fine, it would be much easier if I could konw if this would run alright, but I figure most everyone will tell me to RMA just wondering if anyone thinks I could get away with not doing it.
Old 30th January, 2003, 10:14 AM
AOA Staff (should be working)

Send a message via ICQ to dod Send a message via Yahoo to dod

Well I wouldnt be too happy if I bought a board from you, it died next day and you knew it was possibly bad.

But let your conscience decide
Old 30th January, 2003, 06:05 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

dod says it well.
Very interesting news about capacitors recently. Seems that Taiwanese electronic manufacturer's stole the formula for the electrolyte(the liquid(?) stuff inside the big capacitors that stand up to be counted) from Japan. However, the person(s) that stole the formula didn't get the recipe quite right. Or perhaps the Japanese very cleverly gave the industrial spy or spies the wrong formula!

Getting the formula wrong presents us with the electrolytic capacitors that went bad on Abit boards at two years of age by the thousands. Abit isn't the only mainboard maker with this problem. It just showed up first on Abit's boards, AFAIK.

Next time you open your case, have a look and see if any of your mainboard's caps are crying because the electrolyte ain't quite right. If you love your mobo, replacing the dodgy caps with Grade A one's might be a good idea.
Old 30th January, 2003, 06:42 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I've counted 3 dead Abit boards dating back to the newest slot1 mobos... All had developed leaky caps, and they all died. On the 3rd one, which was still running fine at that time, I checked the caps, and they were bulging and leaky like the others.. It took that last one 3 months before it lost the ability to and then finally died. If it is leaky, RMA now... it is probably starting to weaken.

It sure ain't gonna start working better with time.
Old 30th January, 2003, 11:02 PM

You can probably buy a replacement from an electronics store.

All you will need is a cap with the same capacitance and the same or higher voltage (never lower voltage)

Swaping it out yourself may be tricky.

As for the effects of using the bord with one cap down its impossible to say if its a single cap on its own then if it fails the board will do. If its paired up with another then the board will run with the other one, but that may affect stability and the other cap is much more liekly to also fail.

I I were selling it id want to get it fixed before I sell.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st January, 2003, 01:45 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I wonder if you can stipulate that any replacement capacitors you buy must be made in Japan? Asus mainboards(knock on wood!) don't seem to do the bleeding capacitor trick. Maybe they or a supplier of theirs licensed the correct formula from Japan??

Seems doubtful that Asus would buy caps from Japan. Yet stranger things happen.