AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th February, 2003, 03:12 PM

SLASHDOT: Illicit Leaky Capacitors Killing Motherboards

kinda scared about this story on slashdot today. There is nothing in the article that indicates Epox is affected by this by the way. However, I was thinking about performing a vdd mod on my 8rda+ thats coming and id hate to find out later that my board needs work. Any thoughts on this epox tech, something to assuage my fears?
Old 6th February, 2003, 03:25 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

This is actually old news... It occurred 3 years, primarily with another brand... I have had 3 mobos die on me from that same brand. I currently have 4 Epox boards, of different ages, up to about 18 months old, and none have exhibited the characteristics of defective caps.

Edit: Welcome to AOA, suckafoo.
Old 6th February, 2003, 03:36 PM

Just be glad you dont own a computer store. I used to sell one of the brands that were going bad.

Anyway this is not a flame or anything and if the mods tell me to take it down I will but the bad boards that I have had in my shop are:

Abit: Allot of them but they sometimes still work with bad caps.
msi: Only a few but when they go it's worse than the abits.
soyo: again not as many as the abits but they blow bad when the go.
shuttle: And last these guys are about the same as the soyo boards.

I know a guy that fixes these by putting new caps on them and cleaning them up. If anybody wants the website I'll try to find the url but usually with a bord that old it's better to just by a new board rather that fix it. The reason I say this is that it will be a minimum of about 65$ to get them fixed.
Old 6th February, 2003, 05:18 PM

Probably better if this goes to AMD motherboards then you can slag off whoever you like for bad caps.

As for Epox and dead caps I cant comment directly.

Although I cant remember any Epox user on this forum ever having a problem with capacitors failing.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.

Last edited by Holst; 6th February, 2003 at 05:20 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th February, 2003, 06:11 PM

No it was not a flame in anyway it is just exactly what I've seen in my shop. "Just the facts ".

Having said that I have not had any problems at all with the epox boards with caps anyway. I've only had to return one for a defect from the factory. It was from a stray piece of solder being on the raid controller. Even then I would say that was a fluke. Honest Ifind the majority of complaints by overclockers to be a limitation of thier cpu's or ram and they blame it one the boards.

Think about it you take the same chances with ram and cpu's. Not every piece performs the same and you really take your chances when you try to oc and do all the high end stuff. It really shows you quick what kind of quality control the manufacturers have.
Old 6th February, 2003, 06:59 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Holst
As for Epox and dead caps I cant comment directly.
Moved to AMD Mobos, cuz ET & Holst can't comment directly, and cuz it makes more sense given who we're talking about!

Áedán
Old 6th February, 2003, 07:08 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by webmedic
No it was not a flame in anyway it is just exactly what I've seen in my shop. "Just the facts ".
I agree, it's just in the Epox section, mentioning other brands often leads to comparisons for better or worse. The boards that went bad for me were all Abit boards..

They were sdram boards capable of 133mhz FSB. I noticed after one would start leaking, it wouldn't like high fsb... Slowly but surely, the max stable fsb would go down, until it wouldn't even run 66mhz anymore. This process took about 3 months, before the boards were useless. All in the trash now.
Old 6th February, 2003, 07:08 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Re: SLASHDOT: Illicit Leaky Capacitors Killing Motherboards

Quote:
Originally posted by suckafoo
kinda scared about this story on slashdot today. There is nothing in the article that indicates Epox is affected by this by the way. However, I was thinking about performing a vdd mod on my 8rda+ thats coming and id hate to find out later that my board needs work. Any thoughts on this epox tech, something to assuage my fears?
The issue with the faulty electrolite is not actually a new story - it just seems that slashdot has a short memory, and the IEEE have been a bit on the slow side. For example, TTI have an article on this issuehere, dated October 14 last year.

Doing a volt mod is unlikely to significantly alter the life of the capacitors, unless you go above their rated voltage. Same goes for the faulty ones too.

Áedán