AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th February, 2003, 10:52 PM

Barton Compatibility

Several folks have asked if the Barton will be compatible with their boards. some quick quotes and miscellaneous info:

Quote:
Motherboard Compatibility and 400MHz FSB Bartons

A general rule of thumb for Barton is the all nForce 2 and KT400 motherboards will support the new CPU. Upcoming boards based on the VIA KT400A and SiS 746FX will also have support. The older chipsets don't officially support a 333MHz FSB, but it is likely that Barton support that is unofficial will be rolled into many bios files.
From AMD Zone

Quote:
AMD will launch the Barton with a 333Mhz bus speed instead of the rumoured 400Mhz. We suspect this is more to do with the availability and cost of memory and motherboards that are capable of running at 400Mhz FSB rather that the processors ability. As processor speed is a combination of FSB and multiplier, AMD could have made the XP3000+ run at 200Mhz FSB simply by choosing an 11x multiplier instead of 13x.

We expect the new core to launch in the form of three chips

Athlon XP 3000+ 2.167Ghz / 333FSB / 13.0x multiplier
Athlon XP 2800+ 2.083GHz / 333FSB / 12.5x multiplier
Athlon XP 2500+ 1.833GHz / 333FSB / 11.0x multiplier

The AMD Barton processor is of a similar physical core size to the Thoroughbred range, retaining the AMD Socket A interface. It therefore fits any motherboard that is TBred/Socket A compliant, the only restriction being the way the bios recognises the processor and this will be fixed when manufacturers release bios updates. The Asus A7N8X displayed the processor as an XP3000+ with the latest 1002 bios, but only recognised it by its true speed of 2158Mhz using the older 1001D bios. Despite this, functionality and performance appeared to be identical with both bios’s.
From Hexus

Your mileage may vary but the broad answer is this:
If you are upgrading from a T-Bird or T-Bred with 333 FSB you will easily be able to swap to the CPU out with the above listed 333FSB lines currently available. It is quite likely that the 400 FSB's that are up and coming in higher speeds will also be totally compatible with your 333 FSB board. If you have a 400 FSB board, you will already be fine. All that may be needed is a BIOS update, although that will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Some will need nothing.

Hope this helps.
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

Last edited by Uncle Bob; 13th February, 2003 at 10:55 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th February, 2003, 03:17 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I find that dubious...
KT400's only have a 1/5 divider, and to run 400mhz, the PCI is forced to run 40mhz and AGP at 80mhz.

Call me a cynic but unless they manage to up the true mhz significantly, I don't see myself upgrading cpus just for added cache.
Old 14th February, 2003, 02:27 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sirtoby

But 166/5 = 33 Mhz

So no, you probably won't be seeing great fsb overclocks, but you can't really do that now anyways with any VIA boards.. you can however always up the multiplier.
Old 14th February, 2003, 05:05 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Yarr, it's a bit of a downer that the addition of another 256 Kb to the L2 cache to the Athlon "B" T-Bred XP only makes for a small performance improvement. Other than the doubled L2 cache, Barton's are no different than T-Bred "B's." To the best of my knowledge.

I would not assume that any current Socket A mainboard can happily host a Barton. The MSI KT4 Ultra, Asus A7V266 version 1.04, Asus A7S333 and ~four more currently extant motherboards are said to be ready for Barton's. A BIOS update is nearly a foregone conclusion.

A beefier PS may be necessary, too.

Candidly, the Barton is wasted money, IMHO. We want the Athlon XP 64. Alas, we're not getting one before September, if then. AMD has to hype the Barton. Grumble.

Last edited by cloasters; 14th February, 2003 at 05:10 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th February, 2003, 08:14 AM

Disappointment yes. But thoroughbred prices could come down as a result, which is what I want
Old 15th February, 2003, 04:40 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Switch
Disappointment yes. But thoroughbred prices could come down as a result, which is what I want
Very good point, Switch! I wouldn't mind seeing the high end T-bred B's fall in price! I wonder how many people understand that the Barton is... not much to write home about? If a lot of folks "get" this, maybe the Bartons will fall in price---but not the fastest T-bred B's. Arrgh.
Old 15th February, 2003, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters

Very good point, Switch! I wouldn't mind seeing the high end T-bred B's fall in price! I wonder how many people understand that the Barton is... not much to write home about? If a lot of folks "get" this, maybe the Bartons will fall in price---but not the fastest T-bred B's. Arrgh.
Does this mean you be shoppin around my good friend?
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Old 16th February, 2003, 12:14 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Not even window shopping. Sigh. My budget needs to recover from a musical instrument investment. Ya know, I have thousands of dollars of receipts for PC gear, but don't even own one hot rod box. C'est la vie say the old folks...