AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th February, 2003, 08:56 PM

Barton?

I am just about to upgrade and want to overclock me new processor....trouble is what is better choice xp2400 or xp2500 barton? and can barton be 'unlocked' like this:

http://www.ocworkbench.com/2002/amd/...ocktbredp1.htm
Old 16th February, 2003, 10:31 AM

get barton
athlon xp 2100+ 0301 mpmw @2350mhz 1.75v vantec aeroflow hsf [] epox 8rda+ @ 195 fsb w/ vantec iceburg [] 2 256mb corsair 3200 sync @ 5322 [] audigy platinum [] geforce 3 ti500 [] logitech z-560 speakers [] 19' viewsonic trinitron [] 80gb 8mb cache wd drive [] 80gb 2mb cache seagate [] 450w psu [] silver chieftec w/ 6 case fans
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th February, 2003, 04:39 PM

thanx

thanx for the advice but can it actually be unlocked like that....cause i would really not want to brake a new chip lol
Old 16th February, 2003, 05:27 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

If I told you that you could unlock a Barton like that I would be lying to you. I don't know. I do know however that that is not the best method. It would cause your CPU to not sit exactly flat and my cause at best the need for more thermal grease and at worst uneven pressure while attaching the HSF causing a cracked core.

You could also tak a small wire and bend it and drop it in the 2 holes in the socket. It would achieve the same thing and would cause less distortion to the way the CPU sits. If you were to take a small knife and cut a grove for the wire then the CPU could sit as it should without interferance. An even better option would be to scrape the varnish off of the corosponding pins on the back of the motherboard CPU socket and connect those pins with a defroster repair kit.

Also I don't think that a Barton would be a wise choice. The price/performance ratio is nowhere near what it is with the TBred B core CPUs. I am not sure what the price difference is but the performance diference minimal. Also the TBred B 2100+ AUIHB (???) is a proven overclocker hitting 2.4GHz on a regular basis. We have no idea on how well the Barton core will overclock.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th February, 2003, 07:50 PM

ok thanx for the advice could have done sumthin dangerous there lol......i just need to know where to get any thunderbird B processors in the uk.....any suggestions peeps?
Old 17th February, 2003, 02:57 AM

most of the reviews of barton i have seen said it has no problem clocking up to 2250mhz, have seen that they could have problems with high fsbs however. so if you want to get something right now get the tbred b cuz its proven, if you have time to wait an see how bartons are gonna do then wait.
athlon xp 2100+ 0301 mpmw @2350mhz 1.75v vantec aeroflow hsf [] epox 8rda+ @ 195 fsb w/ vantec iceburg [] 2 256mb corsair 3200 sync @ 5322 [] audigy platinum [] geforce 3 ti500 [] logitech z-560 speakers [] 19' viewsonic trinitron [] 80gb 8mb cache wd drive [] 80gb 2mb cache seagate [] 450w psu [] silver chieftec w/ 6 case fans