AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th February, 2003, 08:16 PM

Well, you are at 150 FSB, huh? That's quite an increase, way to go.

I suggest you install MBM so you can keep an eye on temps, tho.

Hope you aren't bitten by the overclocking bug too bad! Check back here if you need any more help.
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th February, 2003, 08:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to Loki

Ok, the other computer aint connected to the net yet cuz we're waiting for my router and some cables to come through so it can be. Shame this thing did'nt have a CD-RW either otherwise i'd have done it by that and its a shame the lead which linked the cable modem to the network port on this thing was'nt a crossover cable....(already tried that).

It went from 100 on the FSB, all the way up till 150. 152 gets unstable but it only adds another 10 mhz and just makes it a little more volatile...so i left it at 150. :-)

*arms hits him in the face* ahhh its getting to me!!!! Just a little bit lol, So much that I'm already planning to save up and build another once i've finished off my current one :-) although the next one, is much more expensive and kicks some supreme backside...lol

Could'nt done it without your help though. Thanks!!!!!! When I get the other computer online and leave it on all the time I'll be sure to grab the AOA Folder thingy :-)

Shame that MBM would'nt fit onto floppy. Its only 100kb out of its range too.

Athlon XP 2200+ @ 2036mhz : : Epox 8K5A2+ : : 256mb DDR333 Crucial PC2700 RAM : : Evercool 725-CUD: : Chieftec Dragon Black Midi Tower : : 360 Watt Chieftec PSU : : 4 Case Fans - 2 In, 2 out : : Geforce3 Ti200 /w TV out Seagate Barracudda 7200rpm 80GB : : 16x Sony DVD : : 48x TX CD-RW : :
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th February, 2003, 09:16 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Loki
Dclock is set to 133, Voltages are set also. I've started up (well booting up as we speak) so i'm doing it as it all goes along.

Windows blah blah blah.......gets to windows logon screen + freezes before any box is popped up.
As long as you are able to run Cas 2.0 and 4w interleave, you are in good shape. These are the 2 biggest gains in mem performance readily available.

Edit: Regarding MBM, great program... I use them on all of my machines. If you have the Epox CD, there's a program you can use instead.. I cant remember what it's called, but it tracks voltages and temps, just like MBM. Dig out your CD and take a look.

Last edited by SteveI; 19th February, 2003 at 09:18 PM.
Old 19th February, 2003, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Ok, the other computer aint connected to the net yet cuz we're waiting for my router and some cables to come through so it can be. Shame this thing did'nt have a CD-RW either otherwise i'd have done it by that and its a shame the lead which linked the cable modem to the network port on this thing was'nt a crossover cable....(already tried that).

It went from 100 on the FSB, all the way up till 150. 152 gets unstable but it only adds another 10 mhz and just makes it a little more volatile...so i left it at 150. :-)

*arms hits him in the face* ahhh its getting to me!!!! Just a little bit lol, So much that I'm already planning to save up and build another once i've finished off my current one :-) although the next one, is much more expensive and kicks some supreme backside...lol

Could'nt done it without your help though. Thanks!!!!!! When I get the other computer online and leave it on all the time I'll be sure to grab the AOA Folder thingy :-)

Shame that MBM would'nt fit onto floppy. Its only 100kb out of its range too.
Way cool, you are hooked. Tha's one more for my quota! LOL

Seriously, welcome here and I'm glad to have helped. Aside from all the fun and such, that is the primary purpose we hang here, to learn and pass on what experience we have that would benefit those who ask.

When you get ready to build, let us know and we can help pick. (as you can see by my sig. I have the buy and build bug real bad)

Take care and happy overclocking!
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!

Old 20th February, 2003, 12:15 AM

Uncle Bob : Oh dont worry, It'll be a LONG time before I start work on the other machine. I've gotta finish off the other one first anyways lol. I'm sure that buy the time i've gathered enough to pay for the new one then someone will have brought something out which'll completely wreck my wonderful Idea, best to keep on saving and buy the best then I s'pose. Its hard for me to save quick, I'm on a Part time job and only earn like £60 a week so i'll just have to take it slow. Oh well, with a little bit of luck i should make it there some time this millenium.

SteeveI : I'll give my Epox CD a whirl later on before I go to bed, which'll be in about 1-2 hours.

--------

I was playing around with the Dram settings. I left it on normal mode and made the following ammendments

Dram clock : 166mhz
Dram timing : manual
sdram cycle length : 2.5
Bank interleave : 4 bank
precharge to active : 3t
active to precharge : 6t
active to cmd : 3t
dram burst length : 8
dram queue depth : 4 level
dram com rate : auto
dclki timing : auto
dclko timing : auto
fast rw turn around : enabled
continous dram request : enabled.
write rec time (or whatever it was) : 3t

That was just on normal mode, I upped the voltage to what you said as well and even tried it on turbo mode (AND with making the same ammendments) but still no luck I'm afraid. But whats above is what the settings are at the moment.

Athlon XP 2200+ @ 2036mhz : : Epox 8K5A2+ : : 256mb DDR333 Crucial PC2700 RAM : : Evercool 725-CUD: : Chieftec Dragon Black Midi Tower : : 360 Watt Chieftec PSU : : 4 Case Fans - 2 In, 2 out : : Geforce3 Ti200 /w TV out Seagate Barracudda 7200rpm 80GB : : 16x Sony DVD : : 48x TX CD-RW : :
Old 20th February, 2003, 01:03 AM

I know what you mean about the money! LOL

Well, you are doing pretty good. Have you tried any benchmarks? Sandra is one that is widely accepted, there are others as well. You may want to run this for starters: it's called Super Pi. It calculates Pi out to a preset number od decimals. Try 1M and see what numbers you get. Here is mine from today:
Attached Images

Old 20th February, 2003, 01:08 AM

I'll have a go with Super Pi, i've tried it on this 900mhz VIA centrehauls one we got (it was bought cuz we needed one in a hurry otherwise we'da had no net connection). What does it do? I know its got something to do with memory and stuff...

Old 20th February, 2003, 01:58 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
....Dram clock : 166mhz
sdram cycle length : 2.5
precharge to active : 3t
active to precharge : 6t
active to cmd : 3t
Don't worry about turbo... normal should be ok... Just manually change to:
Dram clock : 133mhz <--
sdram cycle length : 2.0 <--
precharge to active : 2t <--
active to precharge : 5t <--
active to cmd : 2t <---

The dram clock set higher won't give you a performance boost, but pushes the mem, so it's better to run 133 and tighten up the timings as much as you can. After changing cas, you may want to trying dropping one at a time.

Also, don't risk corrupting your OS install to check for memory stability. Go find a blank floppy, and download memtest from AOAfiles. You can boot with it, and let it test the memory... if it passes a full loop, you are pretty safe. I've had to reinstall the whole os from scratch many times while trying to troubleshoot errors. This little app has saved me many hours of frustration.
Old 20th February, 2003, 02:06 AM

If I change those settings the way you posted a minute ago, then on the POST section upon boot up it reads my RAM at 300mhz pc2100. Yet before, it was reading at 384 at p2700. Still think I should change it?

Also, do you think I'd be better dropping down to the 2100+ and pumping it up?

Old 20th February, 2003, 07:26 AM

UB, SteveI and Loki. I too have the 8K5A2+ using an XP1600+, I
couldn't get past 148fsb. after checking my settings, I changed a
few things:
Dram clock from 166 to 133 and followed the rest of the settings
in your list; v-core@1.85 vdimm@2.8. I have reached 150fsb and
it is stable. cpu is locked @ 10.5, mem is samsung 2100, win2K.
thanks for being there/here.
rb

AOA Team fah
Old 20th February, 2003, 08:09 AM

Cool, dabaerman! Post some benchies, you guys!

Old 20th February, 2003, 01:31 PM

The one i've built and still attempting to overclock should be on the net next week by the time my router gets its backside here so I'll be able to post quite alot of benchmarks. Its the most powerful computer i myself have ever had so far, and its my second one. My mums ex-boyfriend friend built my original one for me.

MSI Mobo
P480 (I dislike Intel Processors, but this one for a 480 runs faster than this computer with a Via 900 in it.....)
256ram
6gb hard disk
Rage 128 Pro Video Card
10/100mbs LAN Card

Now i've just outdone the little git with my specs at the moment :-). The one I've got planned to build is...

Epox 8RDA+
(Have'nt decided on the processor yet)
2 x 512MB Kingsmax PC2700 Although I've seen some PC3200, but its at 400MHz and i'm not sure the board may take it as I ain't looked on the specs yet
Sapphire Atlantis 9700 Pro
Seagate Barracuda 80G (I'll put two of em In If I aint sold my black computer by then)
All inside a nice Chieftec Blue midi case, I'm quite a fan of the Chieftec cases, they look great for a reasonable price. Possibly soundproofed too if it can handle the temperature...
(I'll put two of em In If I ain't sold my black computer by then)

That will take me a while to save for put it that way lol, I gotta finish off the other one first. I already got a computer to sell as it is (my old one with the MSI board) I might let it go to some one for about £200-£250 including speakers (surround, cambridge) keyboard, mouse n monitor, CD-Writer (If i can ever get it to work, or maybe i'll just sling two normal Cd-drives in there and lower the price a bit lol) either way it makes saving for my New one that little bit easier.

EDIT : Heres the bench mark on WCPUID

http://sites.clcnet.co.uk/quirix/benchmarkcpu.jpg

Last edited by Loki; 20th February, 2003 at 05:12 PM.
Old 20th February, 2003, 05:42 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
If I change those settings the way you posted a minute ago, then on the POST section upon boot up it reads my RAM at 300mhz pc2100. Yet before, it was reading at 384 at p2700. Still think I should change it?

Also, do you think I'd be better dropping down to the 2100+ and pumping it up?
That's exactly what I wanted to hear.
Believe it or not, running your memory at the same speed as fsb (PC2100)... This is also called running synchronously, which is the best for AMD based systems. Allowing the memory to run asynch, or at PC2700 would give a tiny boost at best. In addition, the memory has a much lower shot at running fast timings.

I strongly recommend running memory at PC2100 speeds with your current set up, and running the fastest timings possible. This will give you the best performance. If you can lower the multiplier and run the FSB over 166, only then, should you run your memory at PC2700.

The key to overclocking and tweaking, is to isolate parts, and push them to the limit one at a time. Run the memory slow as possible, and push the CPU... then when you know the max the CPU can handle, tighten up your memory timings to improve performance there.

EDIT: definitely looks like a very good first attempt.
Old 20th February, 2003, 06:16 PM

Ok, the ram settings are changed back to what they were (The ones you gave me).

I tried lowering the multiplier by taking it off Auto and placing it x10 and it didnt run it, said the settings had to be changed within the Cmos settings...so i flicked the ration back onto auto and raised the FSB back to 150 again.....

Thanks, could'nt have done it without everyones help :-)

EDIT : When it goes on the net (MY machine) then I'll link it up to the Folding@Home thingy :-) My computer is usually left on most of the time anyways lol

Old 20th February, 2003, 07:47 PM

Very nice, Loki! How are your temps? THat's the only other thing you need to heed. The temp of your die is especially important to keep an eye on. It can lead you to further overclocking. The temp itself is almost (IMHO) unimportant. What is important is the change (or delta) of it. As you raise the core voltage, so rises the temp. When you have seriously got the bug, you will start looking at ways to remove the heat so you can crank on it higher and still be stable. You are well on your way!

Old 20th February, 2003, 07:55 PM

25 celcius in the system itself, in the casing (four case fans do it some rather good justice)

and the CPU is usually around 30-35 clecius after a lickle of use, when its first turned on its usually about 25 lol, till the room warms up a little.

Which I hope is fairly good :-)

The day i get worried about being hooked is the day I have something running really high with watercoolers lol!

Old 20th February, 2003, 08:14 PM

Quote:
25 celcius in the system itself, in the casing (four case fans do it some rather good justice)

and the CPU is usually around 30-35 clecius after a lickle of use, when its first turned on its usually about 25 lol, till the room warms up a little.

Which I hope is fairly good :-)

The day i get worried about being hooked is the day I have something running really high with watercoolers lol!
Those are great temps! I always run SETI an client similar to Folding on all my machines so the CPU is always running at 100% cycles so the temps I get are at "full speed". My MBM screen below shows that. BTW: My "main rig" below (see my signature and the two links "Danger Den Maze 3" and a "Homegrown watercooled system" show pics of my watercooled system. Yes, it's a natural progression! This rig runs at 200 FSB all day long and the temps are below.. As you can see, the case and die temps are pretty much the same.
Attached Images

Old 20th February, 2003, 09:54 PM

Nice water cooling system :-) something like that would be abit advanced for me sadly, I dont think my dad would give me the water pipes in my room *mischevious laugh* *IF* they are waterpipes, i'm assuming they are. Ish.....

*cant wait to get his computer on the net when the router gets here*

I was just talking to my dad and he says he may want another computer soon. Which means I can sell my current one to him and build my BIIIIIIIIIG machine! lol...............i would get there much faster if i offered him and he agreed lol...... :-) weeeeeee.....insanity approaches only when you least expect it.

Old 21st February, 2003, 12:42 AM

Put your dad on, let em talk to him! LOL I'll put in a good word for you.

Hope it all comes out soon. There are other considerably less complicated watercooling solutions. If you get to that point, we can offer you many different ways to go dependent on how involved you want to get.

Old 21st February, 2003, 12:47 AM

LOL! My dad is'nt particularly any good with computers, he wanted to know how exactly he would go about finding a chat room....which i nearly died of laughter.

Cool@watercooling thingy. I'm wondering what case to get though if i get another, something very customizable...but something which is fairly pretty lol.