AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th February, 2003, 11:22 PM

Send a message via ICQ to chris4521 Send a message via AIM to chris4521

Some mobo/processor questions =)

I've got a couple of questions to ask, all about the athlon xp...well here goes...

First.
Athlon xp 1700+ on epox 8rda+ (nforce)
512ddr 266
OR..
Dual athlon xp 1700+ on Tyan tiger s2460 mp.
512ddr 266
(gaming, surfing, music, general speed wise, which is better?)

Second.
Is it possible to dual xp's on that tyan board? i've heard it's possible to dual XP's, but i've heard not on some boards. Any modifications need be done? such as connecting bridges, etc. If it is possible without modification, great. If not, does anyone know about some websites i could find out about which bridges to close?

Thanks in advance!
Old 20th February, 2003, 11:33 PM
Member/Contributer

Hey Chris, welcome to AOA forums. Please post in the correct forum section in the future, ok? Thanks.

For your needs I see no real reason to shell out for a DUAL system. You might want a faster single CPU instead. If you are considering folding@home or some other DC project, then dual would be sweet - but for gaming and surfing, having a dual won't really help you.

The Epox is a great card (so I hear) and I think you will be happy with it. If you want a 1700+ CPU, get a T-bred and overclock the h*|| out of it! My Tbred 1700+ is currently running at 2600+ speeds... With cheap water cooling and moderate Vcore. I think that says it all..

It IS possible to run XP's in dual setup, but you will need to mod them.
Old 20th February, 2003, 11:44 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

I agree, duallies actually tend to be a shade slower than a same clockrate single CPU system as the technology is pretty old now, and most programmes cannot efectively utilize two cpu's at once.

If i wanted an everyday performance system i'd go with a higher speed single CPU system. The best single AMD cpu for overclocking right now appears to the the Tbred B cored Athlon XP2100+ mate this with an 8rda+ and you will have one mean overclocker

Though they make absolute folding deamons, thats the main reason behind my primary rig. Plus i love all things obscure.

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st February, 2003, 12:19 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally posted by Random Nonsense
Plus i love all things obscure.
True!!
Old 21st February, 2003, 06:41 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA, chris4521!

"Obscure?" That's rich, RN. If he left his drapes open at night and the left cover off of his dual XP rig, the folks in the neighboring county would call the constabulary. "That house looks like a UFO! Help!!"

Last edited by cloasters; 21st February, 2003 at 06:45 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st February, 2003, 02:11 PM

LOL cloasters.

Yep the Nforce2 system will be faster and easyer to overclock.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 21st February, 2003, 02:38 PM
AOA Staff (should be working)

Send a message via ICQ to dod Send a message via Yahoo to dod

Quote:
Originally posted by Random Nonsense
Though they make absolute folding deamons, thats the main reason behind my primary rig. Plus i love all things obscure.
I noticed