AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st February, 2003, 02:56 AM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to CNUCompGuy Send a message via AIM to CNUCompGuy Send a message via Yahoo to CNUCompGuy

Question ok, I need a stable board with the follwoing specs and compatibility...

Ok, here goes. I'm purchasing this CPU (Click here ) and this RAM (Click here ) within the next few weeks. I want to purchase a very stable OCin board with the following specs:

AGP 8X

Can support both of these products (CPU & RAM)

USB 2.0

Onboard LAN (GIG LAN preferred, but not necessary)

atleast 5 PCI 2.2 slots

atleast 3 DDR slots

NForce2 Chipset is preferred since this will be a gaming PC

UltraDMA 133 (serial ATA is a possibility if I can get a board to these specs with it and I can find a fairly inexpensive 80GB+ hard drive for it)

FireWire would be nice, but not necessary

Thanks alot for helping me with this. I am upgrading most components of my computer and, this time, I am going to spend the money to get pretty much the best parts, heh....If you can provide a good board suggestion as well as a link to a reliable website for purchase/review of this board, I would be very grateful. Thanks. :beer:
Old 21st February, 2003, 03:59 AM

Hmmm...not too sure if u gonna get all that in one board at the moment...serial ATA alrdy out? As far as the chip, not sure if that is a "very" good stepping. Read somewhere (here or overclockers) that that stepping OC's well, but not as well as some. I got my 2100+ (0302) at newegg recently and it clocks great (currently at 2.2Ghz...rams holding me down...shud get 2.4 on air...i hope). I'm not familiar with that ram personally, but most are saying Twinmos/Winbond3200 (thats what i'm shootin for this time). As far as boards...aint but one in this town & that's the the 8RDA+. Just check out the 2100+B results a few postings down to see what everyones running.

Not sure that helped, but that's my 2 cents.

GoodLuck!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st February, 2003, 04:13 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

8RDA+ is pretty good. I like it so much I just ordered another one this very night along with a 2100+. For memory I got Crucial 2700 'cause it's hella cheaper than the XMS I have in my current machine. I guess I'll see if it can handle 200Mhz with some extra voltage.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st February, 2003, 01:08 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Serial ATA is still on the fringes. There are few drives actually availabe with SATA support. One of which is Seagate's Barracuda V series. However, benchmarks between the SATA and PATA(IDE) versions reveal no significant differences. This is probably to be expected, given they're the same drive mechanics and electronics, with just a different interface!

Once there's more drives in the SATA market, things will be more interesting. WD's 10KRPM SATA drives could be interesting when they actually get to the market!

Áedán
Old 21st February, 2003, 01:12 PM

I dont think yo ucan get a board with those specs.

Epox 8k9a2+ comes pretty close but its a KT400 board.

The abit Nforce2 has the highest spec, but its not the best overclocker.

The Epox 8RDA+ is the best overclocker (IMO) but its not got SATA GigLan or firewire.

I wouldnt recomend that OCZ memory two sticks of Twinmos/winbond 3200 will be a much better buy.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 21st February, 2003, 03:23 PM

Holst, how come you say 8RDA+ has no FireWire ? Mine has it, and FireWire is advertised on your site.
Hehehehe, check you own site my friend, and your own boards

As for RAM, OCZ works great for me so far, while TwinMOS doesn't eve reach spec speed at SPD timmings no matter what voltage I use
Old 21st February, 2003, 03:46 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to CNUCompGuy Send a message via AIM to CNUCompGuy Send a message via Yahoo to CNUCompGuy

well, I think I've found the board I'm going to get. I got to looking around on new egg and various other sites and found this board (click here ) for sale at newegg for $145. I'm gonna look around to see if I can find the same version of the board for a little cheaper. Let me know what you guys think of this board. GamePC posted this review (click here ) stating that it is, as the time of the review, the best nForce2 board for the AthlonXP CPU and the most stable. I'm pretty sure this is the board I'll be getting, but I just wanted to get your opinions first, heh.....The listing on NewEgg is right here if you want to get the specs in a layed out format. This board has everything I'm looking for on a board listed above, except for the GIG LAN, but it does has 2 onboard LAN ports, so that compensates, heh....thanks alot everyone for your help. Some pretty quick responses as well.
Just curious about something, what is wrong with OCZ memory that I plan on buying? Several of my friends purchase their chips and they have had no problems what-so-ever. Also, for the memory you suggested, can you provide me a link that sells 512MB DDR333 of TwinMOS/Winbond 3200 for a decent price? Thanks. I looked around fo a few minutes and couldn't find anyone. If I do not get this board then I will definitely get the 8RDA+. Thanks, again, all.
Old 21st February, 2003, 04:43 PM
AOA Staff

I think the Abit Nf7-s has all that stuff, and Tubby is running one and its real nice!! :-D