AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 31st March, 2003, 12:22 PM

you only have less than 13 times..

The wire trick wont work.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st March, 2003, 01:15 PM

To be honest Perc I'm confused as well. In the caption below the "wire-trick" photo's the author states "This way works the same as connecting the 5th bridge of the L3..." based upon this claim I thought the results would in fact unlock ALL the multipliers? Just as I beleive grounding of the VCC-pin on the mainboard socket is but "wire-trick" method juxtiposed? I'll have to research this further, however; in the interim maybe you should simply try pulling the FSB jumper off your board (reverting it 100FSB) and see if this stabalizes the processor under high FSB overclock's. As I've said before, my KX7-333 had no abiliy to change the multiplers in the BIOS w/my TBred. As soon as I dropped the TBred processor into a KT400 motherboard I had all multipliers available, and the same with the nForce2 board (all multi's are available).

Last edited by Liquid3D; 31st March, 2003 at 01:49 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st March, 2003, 01:46 PM

OK; I finally found some hard evidence to invalidate my prior presumptions, (that ALL TBreds were unlocked because of the grounded VCC-pin on KT400/nForce2 mobo's) and clear up some confusion on my part.  Apparantly AMD has been "unlocking" their processors from the factory. The quote below should clear up any confusion where that's concerned, and may even contribute the exact source (cause) of many 333FSB Tbred's suffereing an inability to reach and maintain higher FSB speeds (200+). The quote below was taken from a Neoseeker article here; http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Ha...x8k9a2+/4.html

Many KT400 boards that we've tested in the past could not change the multiplier setting on our Thoroughbred 2100XP chip. The Epox has no such problems, and neither did the FIC AN19E. But what's hidden behind the scenes here is that the Thoroughbred chips themselves are not hard locked from the factory - their L1 bridges remain closed. So in effect Thoroughbreds (yes, even our new 2700XP chip using the Thoroughbred B core) are not locked in the traditional sense. Palomino core Athlons ARE locked because their L1 bridges have been opened (severed).

Even with the L1 bridges closed, other motherboards have problems resetting the 5 bit high range and 4 bit low range multipliers and thus allowing you to overclock your chip using a multiplier change. The AN19E/8K9A2+ could be said to allow multiplier overclocking without ADDITIONALLY unlocking a Thoroughbred (which has its L1 bridges closed). Multiplier overclocking can also be enabled on a Palomino chip that has its L1 bridges re-connected. Essentially, these motherboards allow multiplier changes without the need for the L3 bridge workaround, but the L1 bridges cannot be overlooked.

Old 31st March, 2003, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Holst
This dosent feel deliberate to me, if they wanter to cartail overclocking why not just lock the multiplyer and do it propperly...
Shhh don't give them any ideas.

Old 31st March, 2003, 01:58 PM

Quote:
I have all my multipliers including 12.5 and down right now and your stament "you only have <13x" is throwing me off?? i really want to try this wire trick but now im all confused! thx perc.
I have an idea. Remove the chip take a close-up pic, and post it. Or remove the chip. and se if there's is a pit there or not (5th contact on L3 bridge, far right).

Old 31st March, 2003, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Áedán
...The answer was terse, mainly due to the way the original post was worded....Statements like "It occurs to me the immaturity of the AMD 166FSB processor, hasn't revealed enough of these circumstances to warrant AMD technicians and motherboard chipset makers into a collaborative research project regarding the issue, and finding a proper fix. " come across to me as overly hostile. The statement is clearly laying blame where there is no blame to place...Áedán...
I do concur with the gist of your statment pertaining to my "criticism" of AMD tech's, and mainboard tech's. I actually have the utmost repect for the technicians, and desginers, motivated by nothing more then a passion to "build a better mousetrap" (understatement of the Century). I hope you will, however; agree their are those driven by nothing more then monitary gain, and quite often it is these uindividual's who determine the "wothiness" of one project over another. Perhaps I allowed this to take the form of prejudice, as it encapsulated these companies/manufacturers on the whole. I'll certainly try to curtail my blending of opinion, with techinical issues. That's what commentaries are for. Of course as far being "overly hostile" well, that's not quite accurate in so far as my feelings are concerned.

Last edited by Liquid3D; 31st March, 2003 at 03:42 PM.
Old 31st March, 2003, 04:33 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Liquid3D
I actually have the utmost repect for the technicians, and desginers, motivated by nothing more then a passion to "build a better mousetrap" (understatement of the Century).
You know, I'd rather all the mousetraps they've built would actually work properly...

Áedán
Old 3rd April, 2003, 10:13 PM

If you want over 12.5 multis with that chip( and 8RDA/+) you will have to cut the last L3 as Holst as stated( if you don't know which end look at the chip, the other end is already cut).

I have that chip and the 8RDA+ and to access the multis over 12.5 I had to cut mine ( as have other folks I know), it works flawless now, as it changes the default multi to 20 ( and when bios is cleared will boot at 20x100= 2000mhz, 2400+), I just go in and select whatever multi/fsb combo I want now ( haven't tried EVERY single multi, but have tried ALOT of them and they all work).
It works.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid is no way to go through life.........

I have a pool and a pond........ pond would be good for you though.
Old 3rd April, 2003, 11:10 PM
perc

ok great i can do that can you give me a few how to's? i know exactly what to cut and all that just need to make sure.. dont want to kill my chip! also we only have 24x max so that means i can use 21,22,23,24, or does that change as i raise the fab? let me know ill do this tonight.. just need to know what is best to use for cutting this bridge and how deep not to go?

thx perc,
Old 4th April, 2003, 12:31 AM
perc

Quote:
Originally posted by Liquid3D
[B]

I have an idea. Remove the chip take a close-up pic, and post it. Or remove the chip. and se if there's is a pit there or not (5th contact on L3 bridge, far right).

No the fift L3 is closed. should i cut this? i will if it will solve my 13x and up problem? let me know got my razor blade right here! just need some pointers and im ready...

thx perc
Old 4th April, 2003, 01:00 AM
perc

ok i have cut the last l3 bridge and now it seems to work? i can use 12.5 as normal and 13,13.5,14,14.5,15,and up!! man i should of done this along time ago! thanks guys now i just need to play with it and find my max oc.. hey now about removing that jumper whats that do? will it help me? let me know??

thx guys.. perc.

Last edited by perc; 4th April, 2003 at 01:37 AM.
Old 4th April, 2003, 01:38 AM
perc

here is a pic of my wincupid now i just need to find out what i can do with this chip? thanks again guys!!!

later perc.
Attached Thumbnails
Has cause been determined for 333FSB CPU's inability to attain high FSB OC's?-oh-yeah.jpg  
Old 4th April, 2003, 04:12 PM

Excellent going!!! How was it "cutting" the contact? I guess you "ever so gently" had to cut it right? Isn't the "trace wire" just under the surface of the CPU? It will go all the way to 24x? ( I mean, I know you can't set it to 24x (unless you were to drop your FSB to 100Mhz?)) That be an interesting juxtipostion. I wonder how overclocking works when one lowers the FSB, and raises the multi? If it's more stable then "just" raising the multi, or lowering the multi, and raising the FSB? 

Old 4th April, 2003, 05:09 PM
perc

yes cutting that L3 was the ticket for sure.. it was just under the surface.. i had to do it twice the first time i gues i didnt cut it all the way but the second time i got it going. had to go slow didnt want go too deep i could always cut more if i had too but i couldnt uncut it if i cut too much.. any way yes i got 1x all the way to 24x! im happy now i just need to figure out all over again the sweet spots for this cpu and all that other jive.. now wierd thing is 1x thru 19x and then it starts over a 20x and goes up from 12.5x! does that make sense? im trying to say that once you hit 20x its just like being back at12.5x and it goes 20x=12.5 21x=13x 22=13.5x 23=14x 24=15x and 1x thru 19x are what they should be see what im saying? oh well all in all it works good and that is what i wanted so thanks guy!! good looking out

peace perc.
Old 4th April, 2003, 05:32 PM

Id love to see a pic of the cut if you have a good enough camera

it looks like it was worth the risk

P.S. you need to update your sig

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 4th April, 2003, 07:19 PM

I can hardly even see the cut I made Holst.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid is no way to go through life.........

I have a pool and a pond........ pond would be good for you though.
Old 4th April, 2003, 09:11 PM
perc

Quote:
Originally posted by Holst
Id love to see a pic of the cut if you have a good enough camera

it looks like it was worth the risk

P.S. you need to update your sig
man id love to show you a pic but its just not visable to the naked eye! i mean i had to stare at it for a while just to see where to put the razorblade to make my cut! the bridge is way too small you just have to get a nice razor blade i used a box knife and took the blade out and held it in my hand and just verry lightly made a small slice across the bridge like two or three times then put the cpu back in and tryied it to see if it worked? like i said i had to do it twice but I got it on the second try... now you really need to be careful and aslong as you do it a little at a time i dont see you or anyone messing this up? just take your time and I think youl be happy you did it just like i was.. good luck dude its not hard.. just drink a few beers first! let that liquid courage you need to hack into a 300 dollar chip take over youl be fine!. now im going to cut that L12 bridge if i can get someone to tell me how to do that? anyone?

oh and i think i updated my sig?? it was my 3dmark score right?

later guys... perc.
Old 6th April, 2003, 12:30 PM

You can easily cut the bridge using a 9v battery and the bridge is blowing out like a fuse

EPOX 8RDA3+, NB cooling with Akasa low profile 60mm fun, vdd 2.14V
Athlon XP1700+ DLT3C Watercooled with waterchill testing 10.5X226
2x256 corsair XMS cas2, 11-2-2-2, vdimm 2.9v
Gigabyte Maya 9700Pro
Powerd by ANTEK 550W true contol PSU
Old 8th April, 2003, 09:24 AM

I aslo done this L3 trick and was unable to boot when set FSB>100...
Yes all multipliers is UNLOCKED but i can work ONLY with 100 FSB....

Why this happend ... is something i forgot to do ?

Dimitris....

DFI 939 SLI DR
2Χ1GB GSKILL HZ PC4000
Sound Blaster AUDIGY 2
Sound Blaster Megaworks Speakers 2.1 250D THX / 300 WRMS
ALBATRON 7900GTX 512MB@700/900
System Powered By OCZ 600W
===========================
Limits do NOT exist
Old 8th April, 2003, 09:28 AM

Update...

When i set Multi by BIOS to default then my CPU is showing as 2000 (100x20)...

Is CLK jumber needed to remove from board or NOT?

DFI 939 SLI DR
2Χ1GB GSKILL HZ PC4000
Sound Blaster AUDIGY 2
Sound Blaster Megaworks Speakers 2.1 250D THX / 300 WRMS
ALBATRON 7900GTX 512MB@700/900
System Powered By OCZ 600W
===========================
Limits do NOT exist